Question about using loopback adapter on VM and security?

blade52x

2[H]4U
I've just installed XP32 on a VM running on my Vista x64 OS. I was able to get a network connection by setting up Microsoft's loopback adapter on Vista. The IP address and gateway on the VM shows up as 192.168.0.x - so it seems like the VM sees my host OS as a router.

So if this is the case, I shouldn't have to worry about installing any firewalls on the VM should I? I'd like to keep it as light as possible, which means I'd prefer not to use Zone Alarm on it.

Also, my computer shouldn't be visible to anyone else on my school network? The new loopback adapter is set as private, and I've got all my network share/locations set to off.

Just a bit concerned about secrutiy here as this is the first time I've ever setup a VM. If anyone could just give me some re-assurance, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

"VM"

Vmware Workstation/Server/Player or Microsoft Virtual PC/Server ?

VM's should be like a totally separate PC...new IP pulled from the LAN, unless you use NAT from the host machine

Virtual PC 2007.

The VM was initially like a separate PC - had it's own IP address, but I couldn't get traffic flowing in and out even though it claimed to be connected. So I created a new network adapter (Microsoft Loopback Adapter) in Vista, and set the VM to use that. After I did that, the IP address on the VM changed to 192.168.0.x, and whenever I load it up now, comodo gives me an alert. The VM can't cannot to the internet until I allow it to through comodo.

Back