Question about upgrading

Corbin

Limp Gawd
My rig is in the sig. Basically I game (tf2/war3/guild wars 2 when it comes out), and do normal browsing. Would now be a good time to upgrade my cpu/mobo/ram (I was thinking 2500k with a p67 board, already bought 8gb of ddr3 from g.skill, and possibly a new hd since mine is quite old. I would be reusing everything else in the sig).

With the above knowledge, would now be a good time to buy a 2500k/p67 board, or would I benefit from waiting another 1-6 months. Are the prices on these expected to drop within that time, or are the current prices going to be there for awhile? Money is not an issue at the moment for these components (I could pick them up anytime) but I want to get them the cheapest I can get them as I'm going to college very soon, and I'm not in a hurry to up my performance.

If now is a good time, (answer the above question) then I will edit in the whole template for actually buying the parts.

tl;dr; are prices dropping ~soon on 2500k/p67 stuff?

AFAIK, there aren't any official price drops for the Intel Core i5/i7 2xxx series CPUs. However if you can wait, I recommend waiting another two months to see how AMD's Bulldozer CPUs perform. Not to mention that AMD's Bulldozer CPUs may cause Intel to lower their prices depending on well AMD's BD CPUs perform.

Make sure you have signed up for the e-mail promos that newegg sends out. Most of the real special prices will require you to be a subscriber. Does the Vista Sp1 allow you to install it as a 64 bit?

AFAIK, there aren't any official price drops for the Intel Core i5/i7 2xxx series CPUs. However if you can wait, I recommend waiting another two months to see how AMD's Bulldozer CPUs perform. Not to mention that AMD's Bulldozer CPUs may cause Intel to lower their prices depending on well AMD's BD CPUs perform.

Oh alright thanks! I don't mind waiting that long really, but if I see a deal on a 2500k I might just jump on it. The 180$ at microcenter is quite tempting already.. Will a local Fry's pricematch that?

Make sure you have signed up for the e-mail promos that newegg sends out. Most of the real special prices will require you to be a subscriber. Does the Vista Sp1 allow you to install it as a 64 bit?

I will make sure I'm signed up for that! And my vista is actually an OEM, so it's only a 32-bit.. I was planning on getting Win7 as soon as I upgraded my rig anyways.

Oh alright thanks! I don't mind waiting that long really, but if I see a deal on a 2500k I might just jump on it. The 180$ at microcenter is quite tempting already.. Will a local Fry's pricematch that?

Funny that you ask because Fry's currently has the 2500K for $150 today only.

Back