• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Question about upgrading or a New build

4LC4PON3

DERP!
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
4,230
Since Tax time is right around the Corner. I will have 1400 at tax time & im wondering. What would be best for Gaming & alot of multi tasking? will I see a difference with the New Intel Chips? I dont want to spend all my tax money

Option 1: X6 1075T / 955 black + a Nvidia GPU

Or

Option 2: New Intel Chip + New board + GPU.

I will be Reusing my memory, PSU, Case, HDD, DVD Rom, (Motherboard if im staying with AMD) & CPU Cooler
 
Last edited:
Do you know what the wattage will be on the new Intel CPU's. Will I still be able to Reuse my PSU or am I going to need to upgrade. im going with a gtx 470
 
Do you know what the wattage will be on the new Intel CPU's. Will I still be able to Reuse my PSU or am I going to need to upgrade. im going with a gtx 470

The Sandy Bridge CPUs don't use that much power. However the GTX 470 uses quite a bit of power so you may still need to replace the PSU.
 
The best option for gaming is to drop the biggest GPU you can in there so I say option 1. You can save the cost of a new motherboard and throw that towards a meaner GPU. Youre talking $150 or more for a new mobo, but you add that to the price of a 6970 and youve got a GTX580 (although youd probably need a PSU upgrade).

Here's one option:

Evga GTX580 -- $510
Seasonic 750 watt PSU -- $110

and for good measure throw in a Phenom II X4 955 for $145.

Thats $765 and an absolute beast! Youll be able to max out anything on the market.

Another option would be to get the GPU and PSU but keep your Athlon for now. Might be worth it to wait a little longer for Intel's SB procs to finish coming out and to wait for AMD's new line to hit before you spend $150-250 on a new processor.
 
I was thinking about this all night so im going to go with a 570 or a 6970 but for GPU i want to stay around 360-380 that puts me @ a 6970 or GTX 570

I was going to go with a x4 core cause im Noticing that i am doing alot of Multi tasking while gaming I mean alot & I know im going to need a PSU upgrade.

This is what ive Decided

AMD Phenom II X6 1075T: $200.00
570 or 6970 - 380 each give or take
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX: $109.00
Another WD AAKS for Raid: $50.00

so total spent is around 740.00. I will be Reselling m current CPU & PSU so that will save money also.
 
Last edited:
These are my options below not sure what Ill do but taxes are a month away so once I get my money in hand ill decide there.

(CPU 2500k) $216 + (GPU) $380 + (PSU) $110 + (Mobo) 170.00 = 876-900

(CPU 2500k) $317 + (GPU) $380 + (PSU) $110 + (Mobo) 170.00 = 977-1000

(CPU Phenom x6 1075T) $200 + (GPU) $380 + (PSU) $110 + (NEW HDD for Riad) $50.00 + (Extra 4GB to move to 8GB) $40 = $780

Now take my Current CPU & PSU sell them for 80 that takes 80 bucks off the builds above.
 
Last edited:
If youre gonna spend $1000, how about sticking with AMD and getting a GTX580 instead? Youd have more gaming horsepower than you could shake a stick at and that X6 would handle any multitasking. The 580 is a freaking monster. From a strict gaming perspective, I think thats the best way to go. And that X6 is definitely no slouch at multitasking.
 
I wouldn't pay for a 580.. Performance isn't far enough above the 6970 to justify the cost difference.. Of your options above & your budget I would not do any of them exactly... I would be looking something like this

(CPU Phenom x6 1075T) $200 + (GPU) $380 + (PSU) $110 + (SSD) $150.00 + (Extra 4GB to move to 8GB) $40 = $880...

150 should now be enough to find a good sized SSD especially with the next gen about to drop prices are going to plummet on current gen stuff.. & Even the slowest current gen SSD is going to be faster then a raid 0 with your current drive & a match.. Jsut isntall the SSD is primary & put your OS & main apps there & then games on the other drive.
 
Back
Top