• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Question about upgrading a P4 2.6C

Smooothie

n00b
Joined
Dec 21, 2004
Messages
21
Greetings all!

I'm considering a processor upgrade from my current 2.6C & was wondering what everyone's opinions were. My current setup consists of a P4 2.6C on an Asus P4P800 Deluxe mobo with 2x512MB Kingston Hyper X DDR & a BFG GeForce 6800GT.

I don't plan on doing any OC'in (may experiment for hahas) so for all intents & purposes, it appears that I'm limited to a ceiling of 3.4GHz. Because of this, I'm thinking that a Northwood Core would be my best bet, both performance wise & temp wise (it may cost me slightly more than a Prescott, but I've seen some decent deals on ebay).

Is it worth getting a Northwood over a Prescott in the 478 package? Will I notice a difference in performance if I upgraded to a 3GHz chip? 3.2, 3.4? If so how much?

I mostly game (FPS's), but also occasionally rip DVDs. Part of my reasoning for the upgrade is, I'm thinking that with a faster CPU, my system will do a better job feeding the 6800GT with data in intense games like Doom3 & HL2. Also, it's just fun to upgrade!! :)
 
To be honest, I would stick with Northwood. The Prescotts in S478 are a real bitch.

They draw a lot of power, and heat up like the damn sun.


I would seriously recommend that you look into overclocking though, it isn't hard.

Look at my sig, 2 days of tweaking got me an extra year of life out of this thing.
 
That ASUS mb offers 5%,10%,20% and 30% "AI overclocking", doesn't it? Give it a go and see what you can get out of it. My 2.4c/P4P800 runs on a 20% (2.9ghz) oc day in and day out with no issues. I'm thinking about getting a 3.2c but can't come up with a good reason why I should.
 
i had a 2.4c, 2.8c and a 3.0c and i really couldnt tell the difference with everyday use. i would just OC your current 2.6c and call it a day. maybe invest the money you wouldve spent on better ram or maybe a better video card.

i.e. 2.6c @ 3.4 + x850xt (or 6800 ultra, whatever your flavor is) and you will definately be happy.
 
Back
Top