Question about this i7 920 deal

Yes, somehow, and I can't explain this with any logic, Microcenter has been selling those babies for much less then Fry's and Newegg. I bought my CPU, Mobo, and Memory from them (in store). I basically got all 3 for what Fry's down the highway was charging for just the CPU and Mobo (which were "on sale").

Despite being very small, Microcenter is able to have very competitive prices. I can only assume that they are associated with a much larger company and thats how they are getting the discounts.

But ya, thats an awsome price...$179 is just rediculous, I thought $199 was really good.
 
They do discounts on items like this to get people into the store and buy accessories like cables and cases, which are priced at normal retail levels. The catch of course is that they have very few locations and unless you live near one you're out of luck.
 
oh come on guys, loss leaders shouldnt be all that hard to think about! Anyhoo, microcenter is great, got my current 920 from em.


Atleast they don't sell you "demo" ones ;P
 
It's definitely legit! I bought one for $200 a couple weeks ago. Currently running at 4.0GHz, and I'm sure it can go further. Temps are around 60-65C under load using a Xigmatek HDT-S1283. Go get one!
 
No, the ones at microcenter are actually made of paper :p jk jk

no thats newegg :)(JK gotta love the egg :p free two day shipping on last order...and it wasnt paper)


anyhow, ya, as stated they use it to get you in the door.....they not losing money on the deal, they are probably not making anything or just making something(otherwords break even....), but while your there you see a case...and think you want a new one.....and then you see that shiney new Blu-Ray drive and go...hmm i dont need one but i want one......and bam, they made money off of you, when you just went to get a CPU....


(PS...the going in to browse happened to me at CompUSA....got a DVD RW finally and the next week they went on sale with free shipping at the Egg for 1/2 the price...Lol...talk about bad timing)
 
It's definitely legit! I bought one for $200 a couple weeks ago. Currently running at 4.0GHz, and I'm sure it can go further. Temps are around 60-65C under load using a Xigmatek HDT-S1283. Go get one!

You should go back and get a price-garantee refund of the difference. I do that all the times here.
 
Legit deal, I drove from Nashville to Atlanta to get the deal on a i7930 on Sunday. Then today its on sale for $30 less. Called them up and got $30 refund over the phone.

They said go to the store and get the refund. LOL. 440 miles round trip.

Great deal. You guys with Microcenters and Frys near by are LUCKY. Nashville sucks for high end computer parts.
 
Meh, it's all the way on the other side of the metro... Not worth the $20 for my lazy bones!
 
Meh, it's all the way on the other side of the metro... Not worth the $20 for my lazy bones!

I'm making my way, but its on the same side as me :)

That and my friend and I both got 920's so that's 40$.

20$ I can waste on...oh I dunno, more hard drive or towards a CPU cooler
 
I'm making my way, but its on the same side as me :)

That and my friend and I both got 920's so that's 40$.

20$ I can waste on...oh I dunno, more hard drive or towards a CPU cooler

Ironically (and fortunately) my friend is traveling to the metro here to buy the 920 at MC. I'm going to go with him and get my $20, haha.
 
They take a loss on it in hopes that you buy the other components for the build at their store. I bought mine at MC for $200 almost a year ago, and picked up a thermalright cooler as well. MC is the B&M store to get processors because of deals like this.
 
What's up with microcenter's search? Whenever I go to check things out and type in say "i7 860" the only thing that comes up is full builds, I have to go to google and type "i7 860 microcenter" for it to come up.
 
Back
Top