Question about tempered glass

Peat Moss

Gawd
I'd like to use a piece of tempered glass from a section of deck railing as an office chair mat.

Is this possible? Is all tempered glass (e.g. from furniture, shower stalls, deck railing, etc.) more or less the same in terms of hardness and durability?

It won't work, you'll crack it, plastic is your option, or get clear carpet runner rolled plastic

There was a frontpage reddit post about people buying one box of interlocking vinyl flooring and using that. Sounds like you have the piece of glass hanging around, but it seems like a bad idea. Dropping your flashlight shaped male relaxation device even once is a risk to compromise the integrity of that glass.

You can get exotic patterns like, 'Golden Arowana Cappucino'
This one comes with 16 square feet, 4'x4', but you could interlink them if you needed a bigass space of rolling. They may even offer little transition pieces to have a clean edge finish if you need to go the extra mile.

I second the recommendation to use interlocking vinyl flooring commonly referred to as LVP. My home came with a small area with tile in the basement which is where I setup my computer. The rest of the room has carpet. For the first 10 years or so, I used a cheap plastic chair that had metal legs, no rollers. Over the years, the grout between the tiles has worn down and made it more difficult to roll the chair around. This year I bought a new chair put roller blades wheels on and bought a thick plastic chair mat to lay over the tile. I also had to put an old sheet between the tile + plastic may because it made horrible crackling sounds due to invisible little specs of dirt/dust.

The wheels still get stuck occasionally. I'll use some scrap LVP after I use all I need in the sunroom.

Last edited:
Yeah, all it'd take is some grit getting between the glass and your chair wheel and it'd quickly become modern art.

Back