Question about Synology Active Backup

Zepher

[H]ipster Replacement
I have this Synology DS220+ that was left over from a project that's just been sitting for a year or so, figured I should use it.
I setup Active Backup on my Plex Server and my main Desktop to backup the system volumes.

If I set it up for daily backups, does it backup the entire drive every day or just backup the changed files?
And does it use some kind of intelligent file management, for example, both machines are Windows 10 21H2, does it look at both backups and discard duplicate files to save space?

IMG_3181.JPEG

It's just the changes. How many versions you save is configurable when you setup the backup job. I think dedup is limited to synology SSDs.

I believe that 220+ has a celeron with a quick sync GPU in it. If you have a Plex pass then you can hardware transcode and replace your Plex server. I moved mine to a 920+ 2 years ago. I can tinker with my “real” machines without affecting Plex. Much more wife and kids friendly. Great little boxes with fantastic software.

I believe that 220+ has a celeron with a quick sync GPU in it. If you have a Plex pass then you can hardware transcode and replace your Plex server. I moved mine to a 920+ 2 years ago. I can tinker with my “real” machines without affecting Plex. Much more wife and kids friendly. Great little boxes with fantastic software.
My data and media won't fit in the 220+, I've got almost 100TB used.
It only has the stock 2GB of ram in it, would the ram need to upgraded if I did want to use it for Plex?

100TB? Damn. That's almost every Hallmark Christmas movie. Almost.

I'd update the RAM regardless. 2GB is just too low for a device that can do so many things. The slot is easy to get to and everyone has a spare DDR4 sodimm sitting in a drawer rotting somewhere. Even just a 4GB stick would probably yield a noticeable difference in UI responsiveness and other "boring" things.

I spent a few hours yesterday trying to figure out why my Active Backup was giving me an internet error and couldn't figure it out.
I also couldn't log in my NAS using my_user_ID.synology.me.
All of my machines were recently updated to Windows 10 22H2 and all 3 had the same error. I just checked and I am now able to use the synology.me shortcut and there was an updated SMB something that mentioned Windows 11 22H2.
Active backup doesn't show that error anymore so lets see if it starts backing up my machines in the next 12 minutes at the scheduled time.

did anyone else have issues with their Synology NAS yesterday?

Synology-Internet-Error.jpg

Last edited:
Worked on two of the machines, so the 3rd one will probably work when I fire it up later today,

Synology-ActiveBackup-Success.jpg

With the way Windows 10 and Windows 11 most likely blocks SMB (disables/uninstalls) now for security reasons and my Shield TV dropping the SMB connection at the crappiest times, I went with NFS shares for my Synology 920+ and have been more than happy. Only 1Gig network at home but sustained 110-115MB/S is normal.

Back