Question about RROD service repair

F.E.A.R.

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello all,

Had a quick question regarding the Microsoft Xbox 360 repair service. Yesterday, I got the 3 red rings and after following the recommended troubleshooting it seems my unit has a hardware failure. I would like to troubleshoot it myself, but am wondering if I can still send it in to Microsoft for repairs after I had opened the unit and done some work.

My console is more than 3 years old and out of warranty. Does anyone know if it would be an issue? Thank you in advance for your help.

I think if you have to pay for it, then it doesn't matter, but don't quote me on that.

However, MS has increased the warranty period for red ring consoles, so go ahead and call them up to see if they will fix it for free. Couldn't hurt.

if you open the unit MS will refuse to repair it and you are SOL. send it back to them and they will fix it for like $100

you can also try local places such as play n trade if you opened up your console already and don't know why it doesn't work.

What methods have you tried on fixing the xbox? Im sure since you opended it, the warranty sticker has came off. Did you already register the console? It'll tell you if you still have warranty or not. But try the X clamp fix, penny trick is a joke. I've fixed a couple RROD consoles. Whats your error code?

I haven't opened it yet, but will try soon. It is definitely out of warranty (4 years). I already started watching some videos on YT (how to open) and will check out the X clamp fix. Thanks.

Its all temporary, including the X clamp. I would do what you can to get it working and craigslist it. The slim announcement is likely coming at E3.. sell your current one when fixed and buy the newer slim.

My 360 just red ringed a couple of hours ago doing a marathon of Red Dead Redemption (80% of SP completed *shakes fist*).

Just checked the original receipt and saw that in two more weeks the 3 yr warranty expires. MS says they'll repair 3 rings for free, which is what I have. Got that rolling and ready to ship.

So my question is: after MS "repairs" it, will I get the exact same unit back?

So my question is: after MS "repairs" it, will I get the exact same unit back?

I've done at least 11 repairs and only got the same machine back once, but they prolly swapped the guts out and used my case shell.

Back