• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Question about rails and amperage

Daniel_21

n00b
Joined
Jan 22, 2009
Messages
1
Hi everyone,

I have a quick question about the rails of a PSU. Most PSUs I know of utilize multiple 12V rails that usually carry around ~30A. Some modern cards need higher amperage than that though, but those cards all feature 2 PCIe power connectors. I was wondering if the amperage of those two separate PCIe connectors add up to form a total current of 60A that could be transferred to the graphics card, or if you would need a PSU with higher A one the 12V rails to run a graphics card that needs, say, 36A?

Since I'm going to build an i7 rig soon with the inclusion of SLi and a good portion of overclocking I want my PSU to run it flawlessly as well as being fairly future proof. That's why I'm wondering which PSU to pick. Specifically, I'm thinking about the Corsair 1000HX or the Enermax Revo85+ (1050). Which of those would you pick, or would you suggest another PSU?

Thanks for any help!
 
I have a quick question about the rails of a PSU. Most PSUs I know of utilize multiple 12V rails that usually carry around ~30A. Some modern cards need higher amperage than that though, but those cards all feature 2 PCIe power connectors. I was wondering if the amperage of those two separate PCIe connectors add up to form a total current of 60A that could be transferred to the graphics card, or if you would need a PSU with higher A one the 12V rails to run a graphics card that needs, say, 36A?

First of all, no graphics card actually needs 36A of power for itself. That 36A rating is for th system + graphics card. Second, I recommend reading these PSU FAQs:

[PSU FAQs:]
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1036
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=84&threadid=2260432

Oh and the Corsair 1000HX is a good choice
 
Hi everyone,

I have a quick question about the rails of a PSU. Most PSUs I know of utilize multiple 12V rails that usually carry around ~30A. Some modern cards need higher amperage than that though, but those cards all feature 2 PCIe power connectors. I was wondering if the amperage of those two separate PCIe connectors add up to form a total current of 60A that could be transferred to the graphics card, or if you would need a PSU with higher A one the 12V rails to run a graphics card that needs, say, 36A?

Since I'm going to build an i7 rig soon with the inclusion of SLi and a good portion of overclocking I want my PSU to run it flawlessly as well as being fairly future proof. That's why I'm wondering which PSU to pick. Specifically, I'm thinking about the Corsair 1000HX or the Enermax Revo85+ (1050). Which of those would you pick, or would you suggest another PSU?

Thanks for any help!

both are overkill unless you are planing trisli. and as said above no card is going to pull 36amps, that would work out to 432 watts. really a corsair 750XT, or the 850 would be plenty. I like a lot of head room as well but a lot of people that buy these 1k psu are really throwing away money, they just are not ever used beyond a portion of their rating
 
Back
Top