Question about quality

Keep the stupid color show and give me more cpu, ram, mobo, vidcard, for the same price.

Except that's not how it works. The cost of RGB lighting is negligible. Models that cater to the RGB hate brigade do exist and aren't cheaper than their colorful counterparts.

Even if it did impact the cost, I wouldn't expect the motherboard makers to pass the savings on to you.

It seems to work that way (with Windows).
It would be nice to slipstream a switch into install isos that just shut it off altogether.
Even better if it were a set and forget feature either from BIOS or out of band utility.
RGB on motherboards is the devil! The only thing I want to see is something useful like post code LED, status for RAM, GPU, et al fine too.
And disk and network activity lights.
The the vegas style BRIGHT RGB strips along motherboard coolers, backlit dragons, and so on...NO!
JMHO, of course.
And I'm a fan of dragons.
I still have Corsair DDR memory that has LED lights. These actually were (sort of) functional and would go from green to red like a VU meter on a tape deck depending on memory pressure! Not sure how they did that. Crucial had their Ballistix Tracers that worked on ram activity and was more mixed but certain things like Prime95 blend would set them off flashing in a seizure inducing frenzy. Those tracers also were blistering hot and practically every set I had literally burned out and Crucial would replace them until they were no longer manufactured and then offered gift cards. The DDR3 variants fixed the problem but were just kind of dumb flashers like we have now.
omg, I think I talked to you years ago about buying those corsairs for my dad's p4. Since that time, my mom is gone, my dad is gone, my mom's system's power supply went (I think--haven't diagd it yet), but my dad's system is still alive and running. You still looking to give those modules a good home? Neat to know about all the other variants of led activity meters on ram and how they panned out over the years. :)

Pretty cool to know the original NDIS 2.0 I was trying to understand while using a packet driver is still around. I still don't know everything about binding and why stuff worked the way it did when I changed it. I don't even really remember what I was doing to be honest--I think trying to run IPX and Lantastic's Netbeui at the same time--and it worked with a packet driver since I could bind two protocols (I think?), but I didn't know why the changes I made worked since I didn't understand one of the config files (protocol.ini or the other one?). This is literally 30yr+ ago, so probably wrong on some of the details.

But this is a solid example of a standard being picked up and carried on the shoulders of giants for a long time. (y) I think the only thing I know that's stuck around that long is the SCSI command set created by Adaptec which is still used on SAS drives and somewhat in today's SATA.

Except that's not how it works. The cost of RGB lighting is negligible. Models that cater to the RGB hate brigade do exist and aren't cheaper than their colorful counterparts.

Even if it did impact the cost, I wouldn't expect the motherboard makers to pass the savings on to you.

So are you saying the LEDs, circuits, the engineering, manufacturing, programming, etc, all free?
Passing the savings, if they didn't have rgb to begin with it wouldn't be a price factor.

omg, I think I talked to you years ago about buying those corsairs for my dad's p4. Since that time, my mom is gone, my dad is gone, my mom's system's power supply went (I think--haven't diagd it yet), but my dad's system is still alive and running. You still looking to give those modules a good home? Neat to know about all the other variants of led activity meters on ram and how they panned out over the years. :)
Wow sure brings back memories, right? I put those in a FX60 build in the summer of 2006 to hold me over until Conroe! :)
I should dig it out and put 64bit XP on it and post a video on my youtube channel. Those were the Corsairs.

This was a custom system I built circa 2010 for a high maintenance client featuring the Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 modules in blue:

(that is their channel, not mine)

TBH I kind of do miss activity LEDs on RAM especially with all slots filled. As long as they actually fire depending on activity and not just some programmed sequence like an amusement park ride!
Call it nostalgia back from sitting next to VAXs full of cards with activity lights.

I'm surprised they haven't integrated a nostalgia mode for old nerds in such that disk activity fires a piezo speaker simulating seek activity of spinning rust! I know someone has made a kit that you can install to do just this and I have experimented with a few tricks but newer versions of Windows have i/o patterns that are considerably different from the NT days.

So are you saying the LEDs, circuits, the engineering, manufacturing, programming, etc, all free?
Passing the savings, if they didn't have rgb to begin with it wouldn't be a price factor.

I didn't say it was free. I said it was negligible. That stuff is super cheap.

Wow sure brings back memories, right? I put those in a FX60 build in the summer of 2006 to hold me over until Conroe! :)
I should dig it out and put 64bit XP on it and post a video on my youtube channel. Those were the Corsairs.

This was a custom system I built circa 2010 for a high maintenance client featuring the Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 modules in blue:

(that is their channel, not mine)

TBH I kind of do miss activity LEDs on RAM especially with all slots filled. As long as they actually fire depending on activity and not just some programmed sequence like an amusement park ride!
Call it nostalgia back from sitting next to VAXs full of cards with activity lights.

I'm surprised they haven't integrated a nostalgia mode for old nerds in such that disk activity fires a piezo speaker simulating seek activity of spinning rust! I know someone has made a kit that you can install to do just this and I have experimented with a few tricks but newer versions of Windows have i/o patterns that are considerably different from the NT days.

Nice! It actually almost makes sense to have leds on ram as a diagnostic. Imagine running memtest and physically seeing exactly where it gets stuck. Oh, if they made a seek sound for today's Windows that hammers the drive continuously it would end up sounding like a bad drive from the old days. :eek:

Pcb revision, they are multilayer, do take up space, give me more, faster, better, keep the blinking lights; I have plenty of stripper lights I can plug in to the wall.

Pretty cool to know the original NDIS 2.0 I was trying to understand while using a packet driver is still around. I still don't know everything about binding and why stuff worked the way it did when I changed it. I don't even really remember what I was doing to be honest--I think trying to run IPX and Lantastic's Netbeui at the same time--and it worked with a packet driver since I could bind two protocols (I think?), but I didn't know why the changes I made worked since I didn't understand one of the config files (protocol.ini or the other one?). This is literally 30yr+ ago, so probably wrong on some of the details.

But this is a solid example of a standard being picked up and carried on the shoulders of giants for a long time. (y) I think the only thing I know that's stuck around that long is the SCSI command set created by Adaptec which is still used on SAS drives and somewhat in today's SATA.
Actually, SASI was invented by some engineers at Shugart Associates Shugart Associates Standard Interface. But Shugart's management did not want the company to go into the business of adapter boards, so a few months after a meeting where this idea was presented, those engineers founded Adaptec. Later on, the name was changed to remove the reference to one company. I was at that meeting.

Nice! It actually almost makes sense to have leds on ram as a diagnostic. Imagine running memtest and physically seeing exactly where it gets stuck. Oh, if they made a seek sound for today's Windows that hammers the drive continuously it would end up sounding like a bad drive from the old days. :eek:
Yes if the system halts the LEDs were in a frozen pattern. Sometimes one or more would be dim or appear to be driven at a frequency low enough to have perceivable flicker.

And the seeking noise, I remember the first Cheetah X15s. Sitting next to a rack of a few dozen of those between the off zero beat throbbing of spindle motor hum and the waves of crunching noise coming and going you really need something to block it out after a while! Sitting at a workstation at home with "just" four X15LPs it was far gentler much like spending a day at the range shooting an MP5 all day (who can afford that now?!) and coming home to plink at beer cans with a bb gun! 🙃

Actually, SASI was invented by some engineers at Shugart Associates Shugart Associates Standard Interface. But Shugart's management did not want the company to go into the business of adapter boards, so a few months after a meeting where this idea was presented, those engineers founded Adaptec. Later on, the name was changed to remove the reference to one company. I was at that meeting.
Totally badass!! I stand corrected my friend. :D I do remember some reference in the old SCSI to Seagate like Seagate Computer Systems Interface changed to Small Computer Systems Interface, but didn't remember all the details and even what I typed isn't what I remembered from the past either.

Just super cool to know someone who was literally there. :) Adaptec was one of my favorite companies of the 'heyday'. It almost boggles my mine that LSI is the king now since they barely had a presence on lower end stuff back then.

Yes if the system halts the LEDs were in a frozen pattern. Sometimes one or more would be dim or appear to be driven at a frequency low enough to have perceivable flicker.

And the seeking noise, I remember the first Cheetah X15s. Sitting next to a rack of a few dozen of those between the off zero beat throbbing of spindle motor hum and the waves of crunching noise coming and going you really need something to block it out after a while! Sitting at a workstation at home with "just" four X15LPs it was far gentler much like spending a day at the range shooting an MP5 all day (who can afford that now?!) and coming home to plink at beer cans with a bb gun! 🙃
Yeah that video was really neat in that you could recognize the patterns being run by watching the physical patterns on the leds--pretty sweet.

To me, hard drive noise has always been just another feedback mechanism that something is doing its job--like fan noise or whatnot. If I hear a silent hard drive, I think it's dead, lol.

Back