Question about power connectors

Aelfgeft

2[H]4U
This may seem a bit noobish, but I've never actually understood the function of the 4-pin power connector. I've always used AMD processors, and I always used the 20/24 pin ATX connector. It seems like I read that the 4-pin was an "Intel connector".

As I will soon be entering the world of C2D, can someone clarify the difference between the two in purpose? Should they both be plugged in?

The ATX connector provides power to the motherboard in general. The 4 or 8 pin connector provides power specifically to the CPU - four pin for most CPUs and 8 pin (EPS) for extreme edition CPUs.

So will it be mandatory to plug in the 4-pin when going to Intel, or if not, would doing so create a benefit?

Okay, and one more question: Would plugging in the 4-pin provide any benefit for my current 939 setup?

The 4 pin is for CPU power Stabilization. BOTH, AMD and INTEL, whoever told you it was just for Intel is off his nut.

Okay, and one more question: Would plugging in the 4-pin provide any benefit for my current 939 setup?

Wow...I'm surprised it's running at all without the 4-pin AUX plugged in. You don't always need the extra 4-pins on the 24-pin ATX connector, but I'm surprised a s939 system would boot without the CPU power plug hooked up.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the 4 pin was an Intel thing when they first started coming around. As processors became faster AMD also ended up using the connector. I've seen PC's boot without it connected, but if the connector is on the motherboard, plug it in.

Back