Question about PCI USB cards

Wiseguy10k

n00b
I don't know if this is just me, but the usb card in my comp causes it to crash when something is in the 2nd and 4th ports on the card. Everything is fine with the 1st and 3rd ports. Also whenever I need to install XP I have to take out the card or the install will freeze. I have more than 2 usb devices and I would like to avoid buying a usb hub.

Try putting the card in another slot. There could be some kind of conflict with it being in that slot.

Also, check in device manager to see if there is anything wrong with it. Yellow question marks and stuff like that. Even if there isn't anything next to the USB card but there is somewhere else, that could be your problem.

I've tried putting it in a different slot. That just makes it freeze as soon as it finishes booting up. Also there are no yellow question marks, but there maybe something I never thought about. In the Device Manager in the section for USB controllers I get 8 listings for just one card.

Did you install the drivers that came with the card or did you just use the drivers that Windoze installed by default (if it has any to install by default for the card)?

If there are newer drivers for the card on their website and you haven't gotten them, try those.

If this doesn't help or you have already tried all these suggestions and no one else comes up with anything, I would get the card replaced and see if that does any good. You may have just gotten a bad card. If that doesn't turn out to be the problem, I would try a different brand of card and see if it works better.

That's about the best I can think of right now.

Maybe I did get a bad card. I don't know, but the first thing I'll do is contact the store I got it from and see if I can get some help from them.

Back