Question about NFC tags - how do they...

SBMongoos

[H]ard|Gawd
I need to know if an NFC sticker (in this case the Samsung TecTiles2) constantly sends a signal to my S4 if the two are in range.

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish. Android 4.1.2 used to be able to identify the dock you were docked in and then start the app you want to use with that dock. Ex: when docked in the Samsung dock it would run the desk/clock app. When docked in my car dock it would auto run the Car Home Ultra app.

When 4.2 roll out this no longer worked. The only thing I can determine so far is that Samsung apparently had this feature setup in their TouchWhiz UI and removed it when 4.2 came out. I'm currently at 4.4.2 and this still does not work.

I'm currently having to select the app I want to run when I dock it in each dock and choose "only once" otherwise all docks will only run the same app. It seems Samsung might want to sell NFC tags. Just a thought. So, I bought the TecTiles2 at BB on clearance. I have not picked them up yet. My concern is if I program one of these tags (sticker) can I attach the sticker directly to the dock. So when the phone is docked it will run the app associated to that dock (see above). I'm hearing that if the two are in range the NFC tag may continue to send the same data which will trigger the phone to keep responding to the command(s) programmed into the NFC tag which triggers and audible noise with the phone every time this occurs (I use it as an alarm clock when docked at home).

Does your car have Bluetooth? I use Car Home Ultra as well and there's a setting in it to launch upon connecting to specific BT devices. So I mine set to launch as soon as it connects to my car, which is in about 5-10 secs after I start it. It will also set my volume to max and turn off my WiFi when it connects, then revert those back to the way they were after I disconnect. Pretty nifty and I love it!

Otherwise, I used those TecTiles with my Note 2 as well and stuck one to a night stand I have (originally meant for the OG Droid, but it holds about any other phone too). The way it worked for me (up to 4.3) was that it would just launch the app when I docked it and it would stay open until I manually closed it when I got up.

Does your car have Bluetooth? I use Car Home Ultra as well and there's a setting in it to launch upon connecting to specific BT devices. So I mine set to launch as soon as it connects to my car, which is in about 5-10 secs after I start it. It will also set my volume to max and turn off my WiFi when it connects, then revert those back to the way they were after I disconnect. Pretty nifty and I love it!

Otherwise, I used those TecTiles with my Note 2 as well and stuck one to a night stand I have (originally meant for the OG Droid, but it holds about any other phone too). The way it worked for me (up to 4.3) was that it would just launch the app when I docked it and it would stay open until I manually closed it when I got up.

My car does not have BT.

Other way around with NFC. The tag doesn't have any kind of battery in it and is activated by the phone.

Far as to the responding to a tag more than once: set it up and try it, see what happens. It's not like it'll do any permanent damage.

Other way around with NFC. The tag doesn't have any kind of battery in it and is activated by the phone.

Far as to the responding to a tag more than once: set it up and try it, see what happens. It's not like it'll do any permanent damage.

No doubt. I did test it last night. Couldn't find anything by searching but discovered that the only way the NFC tag is going to send the data is to move the phone away and swipe the NFC tag again. So sticking one of these to the Car Dock is not an issue (where it will be right behind the phone).

My plan at this point: to have the phone remember to use Desk Clock as default ("always" - not "once only") when in the Samsung dock (at home) and stick an NFC tag on my car dock to trigger Car Home Ultra.

Last edited:
My plan at this point: to have the phone remember to use Desk Clock as default ("always" - not "once only") when in the Samsung dock (at home) and stick an NFC tag on my car dock to trigger Car Home Ultra.

This worked fine with one caveat. When in the car I need to be sure to connect the USB cable from the car dock first. This will trigger Desk Mode (which needs to be on) and enable Desk Clock. But once I dock the phone it gets the signal from the NFC tag and switches to Ultra Home Car Dock. Need to do it in this sequence otherwise you end up with Desk Clock running while docked in the car.

When 4.2 roll out this no longer worked. The only thing I can determine so far is that Samsung apparently had this feature setup in their TouchWhiz UI and removed it when 4.2 came out. I'm currently at 4.4.2 and this still does not work.

This doesn't answer your question, but my LG G2 is my third Android phone after a Galaxy S2 and an OG Droid.. All 3 of these phones broke significant amounts of things in upgraded factory ROMs (things that custom ROMs generally didn't fix, also).

Android phones always run best with the Android version they are initially released with. Manufacturers don't care about supporting existing products very much compared to selling new models, so they halfass it every single time. Honestly it's probably not worth upgrading Android versions as a result unless you're okay with dropping several features (and often GPS seems to fail on me - I finally bought a Garmin GPS this year after YEARS of flaky GPS on Android phones).

So if any of you want "Android L," wait for a phone to actually come with it... No upgrade crap.

This doesn't answer your question, but my LG G2 is my third Android phone after a Galaxy S2 and an OG Droid.. All 3 of these phones broke significant amounts of things in upgraded factory ROMs (things that custom ROMs generally didn't fix, also).

Android phones always run best with the Android version they are initially released with. Manufacturers don't care about supporting existing products very much compared to selling new models, so they halfass it every single time. Honestly it's probably not worth upgrading Android versions as a result unless you're okay with dropping several features (and often GPS seems to fail on me - I finally bought a Garmin GPS this year after YEARS of flaky GPS on Android phones).

So if any of you want "Android L," wait for a phone to actually come with it... No upgrade crap.

I've considered installing a ROM for some time but for whatever reason have never bothered. I think simply because I like some of the Samsung features.

Looks like leaving the phone in the car dock with the NFC tag causes the phone to overheat. I understand that there is EMF that gives the NFC tag the power to transmit the data stored in the tag to the phone. My thinking is leaving them so close together that the EFM creates enough heat to cause the phone to get hot. This did not happen before I stuck the NFC tag to the car dock. Right behind where the phone sits so the phone can read the tag. If I take the phone out and let it hang by the USB cable attached to the dock it's only a few minutes or so and the overheating stops. Didn't see that one coming.

What's the amperage of the charger connected to the car dock? If it's 2A perhaps try 1A that's sufficient to power the phone without draining the battery but doesn't overheat the phone.

Back