• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

question about I7920 vs. I5750

SSimmons05

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 11, 2007
Messages
202
Are the Core I7 920 lga 1366 compatable with the new I5 750 chipsets, believe their called lga 1156?

In case your wondering, my 920 board died after a cap. caught fire and melted thru the motherboard. I was seriously injured by a drunk driver a year ago and can no longer build my own systems, so this occured with a gateway fx6800 system thats still in warranty, but all I've gotten is hours upon hours of run around, and sent it in 2 times now and still comes back "fixed" with a hole in the motherboard. The case fits a micro atx card, was looking at the MSI X58M micro as a solution. Only problem is talking my wfe and or daughter thu an install w/o breaking anything, which I know they'd do, you'd be really amazed at how a family pulls together when they need too.

Ik, my rambles done, thanks for any tips/hints/tricks/answers you guys/gals can give me!
 
X58 = s1366 = i7 9xx
P55 = s1156 = i5-7xx/i7-8xx

Totally different sockets, totally incompatible.
 
Honestly, I would keep complaining. Call and complain through the regular channel, then ask for a supervisor, and ask them for a corporate phone number/email address so you can file a complaint on how they aren't fixing the product under warranty, the time and effort wasted/spend chasing them, etc.
 
I would contact the BBB and consumerist.com about this issue. Should get it fixed properly real fast.. maybe even a brand new system.

I would also call gateway back and ask for a brand new system due to the runaround they have given you thus far. Keep asking for the boss of the person you are talking to until you get at least 3 or 4 levels up.

Since I worked as an onsite tech doing onsite Dell, IBM, etc. repair I've seen too many people get screwed by OEMs and have no patience for them anymore.
 
OP I would suggest you sell the Gateway asap.

Theres are way too many problems with the Gateway FX (i7) series which aren't being proper address. I'm too lazy to google all the slickdeals links but there are tons of people who had problems with the Gateway FX series. Many had motherboard problems like yours and many more had power supply problems which weren't enough to even run the system stable for more than an hour. What dumbass thought a 350W generic PSU would be enough for an i7 build is beyond me.
 
Completely incompatible.

What dumbass thought a 350W generic PSU would be enough for an i7 build is beyond me.
From the way you worded it, everyone who bought a Gateway FX would probably be the answer to your rhetorical question...
 
^
My bad. In my mind I was thinking of Gateway's Q&A but I guess eating while typing threw my train of thoughts off.
 
I got lucky, my FX came with a Lite On 550 supply.
But get this:
Received word it's on it's way. Apparently the problem wasn't the burned hole
thru the motherboard, but my hard drive cable was loose and my memory
wasn't seated properly.....Think I'm gonna be sick, and have to start calling
BBB and maybe my states attorney general. Called again this morning, and there
are still NO lvl 2 support people available, and they can't give anything but the
customer service phone number......
 
SSimmons05- If you live in wisconsin man, ill build your system, im serious man. so if you are PM me.
 
SSimmons05- If you live in wisconsin man, ill build your system, im serious man. so if you are PM me.

+1 I'm sure someone on this forum in your area would volunteer to build it for you. I would if you lived in north florida.
 
Thanks guys, this community always has been the best. I used to live in FL, but got dragged to Miss. for the wife.
We'll se what happens tommorrow night when the wiey gets home to help me open
the box and take a look/reset it up. Maybe they just slapped in generic shut you up notes :)
 
What you need to do is take pictures of the motherboard. Call tech support and explain them the situation for the 100th time. Get their tech supports email and email them the pictures. I get so mad when warranty support screws you over like that. You have an honest reason that you cant build, or you would build. You knowingly paid a company to build you a (highend) machine, probably more than building it yourself, and its causing you a headache.

If they do nothing, contact BBB. Anything with lemon law because of such high failures?
 
Well I got it back......
It runs.....
But...
They moved my OCZ Triple Channel Ram from the Triple channel slots
to the Dual channel Slots. Tried moving them back, and tried putting
in the origional 3 1G sticks that came in the triple channel slots.
For the OCZ 6G, it only shows 4, and for the 3 1G it only shows 2G,
even though programs like CPU-Z show all 3 sticks (Running
Windows 7 Home premium 64 Bit).
It only runs showing Dual channel enabled now, where as before it
would show triple channel at the post screen.
If memory is only in the triple channel slots, it will do one long
steady beep and not boot. But if I put all 6 of the sticks I have in,
it does boot, but only shows 6G of the 9G installed.

Does it sound like there's still a problem with the motherboard with the triple
channel not working/not using all of my memory?

And it's getting xpensive at almost $50 a pop shipping it back. Anyone have success
getting Gateway/Acer to pay for return shipping?
Thanks again for all the help and replys!
Sam
 
This is why I'll never ever buy a Gateway or recommend a Gateway to anyone I know (even an enemy). I owned a Gateway laptop and not even 3 months after I bought it the motherboard (particularly the BIOS) crashed. It would not recognize the hard drive and when it did, it just corrupted my Windows installation. I went around with Gateway for almost 2 months and they did nothing. The only thing they did was install a new hard drive and reload Windows. The problem came back a week after I got the laptop back. Not to mention, I shipped the laptop in its original box and had about a 1/2 roll of bubble wrap around that box. They shipped it via FedEx in the original box with no extra padding and not double boxed (like they told me to). Gateway (and Acer) will never get my business again. I cut my losses and sold that POS on eBay and bought the Dell I have in my sig.

Best of luck dealing with Gateway.
 
1. Make a detailed notes when you called, whom you talked to, what was being said.
2. Log a complaint at BBB. I think you have done enough, its time to escalate by getting BBB involved. I have heard State Attorney General also can be helpful.

Good luck.
Chris
 
The ram issues makes me think the RAM is bad. Have you tried swapping sticks and stuff?
I had an issue just like yours (ram, anyways), and I thought I have a toasted motherboard.

Turns out, one stick of RAM would not co-operate.
 
one of the ram slots is toast if it wont work with either the old or new ram.
maybe when the capacitor blew it took out a circuit trace to the RAM. A newish capacitor blowing in this day and age it must be counterfeit, too low voltage spec or really crappy quality. The days of the japan capacitor spy fiasco are long gone!

The good news is you could probably just replace the motherboard and all your other parts will work.
Acer could replace it with another Acer one eventually, after much yelling + stress you will still end up with a POS acer motherboard.

I would just buy a new one from asus, gigabyte, or whoever and find someone to install it for you, hopefully a nice forum member. will do it for you. or you could get an friend to do it under your supervision.
 
Back
Top