• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Question about i7 and i9

Rahburt-33

Gawd
Joined
Mar 17, 2008
Messages
763
What socket is the i9 going to use?
My friend is doing a build and we are going to evenutually put the i9 in it but for now we are going to use an i7.

Is it going to use 1366 or the new one that the i5 uses?

Thanks in advance.
 
If the i7 975 is well over 1000 dollars, I dont even want to think of how much the i9 will be.
 
What socket is the i9 going to use?
My friend is doing a build and we are going to evenutually put the i9 in it but for now we are going to use an i7.

Is it going to use 1366 or the new one that the i5 uses?

Thanks in advance.

The 1156 socket for the i5 is the low/mid range socket, wile the 1366 is the highend socket.

If the i7 975 is well over 1000 dollars, I dont even want to think of how much the i9 will be.

All the "Extreme" CPU's are always over priced and often stay that way even past the sockets life span. Just like when i7 was out the extreme 775 chips were still selling in the 900-1000 range, and even now the Q9650 (LGA775) still sells for 40 bucks more than the i7 920.
 
Why would you put in an i7 now? Isn't it just 6months or so to the i9? It seems worth the wait.
 
Why does everyone assume there will be only one Gulftown (I refuse to call it i9 until Intel themselves do) for X58 and that it will be an Extreme Edition part? Would it not make more sense for the die shrink of Nehalem to offer more than just a single part?
 
Why does everyone assume there will be only one Gulftown (I refuse to call it i9 until Intel themselves do) for X58 and that it will be an Extreme Edition part? Would it not make more sense for the die shrink of Nehalem to offer more than just a single part?
According to everything I've read from reviewers and from Intel, the 1366 socket is intended to be an ultra-high-end socket. With the Core i7-920 being phased out (if you choose to believe this), the cheapest current-gen processor will be the 950, a $550+ part. Whether or not there is more than one Gulftown processor may be up for debate, but the intention of the socket seems to be clear: This is Intel's Ferrari.

People who live for performance will gladly pay the $1000+ for a high-end part. Even if there is a beautiful spectrum of Gulftown processors, I don't think we should hold our breath hoping for anything below $600.
 
According to everything I've read from reviewers and from Intel, the 1366 socket is intended to be an ultra-high-end socket. With the Core i7-920 being phased out (if you choose to believe this), the cheapest current-gen processor will be the 950, a $550+ part. Whether or not there is more than one Gulftown processor may be up for debate, but the intention of the socket seems to be clear: This is Intel's Ferrari.

People who live for performance will gladly pay the $1000+ for a high-end part. Even if there is a beautiful spectrum of Gulftown processors, I don't think we should hold our breath hoping for anything below $600.

I agree 100%. I don't expect we'll see anything like the i7 920 again for LGA 1366 (and I'm glad I got mine when I did!). I do, however, expect that there will be more Gulftown CPUs than just a $1000 Extreme Edition model.
 
I agree 100%. I don't expect we'll see anything like the i7 920 again for LGA 1366 (and I'm glad I got mine when I did!). I do, however, expect that there will be more Gulftown CPUs than just a $1000 Extreme Edition model.
Yeah, that seems likely to me. But even at $600, 1366 might be getting a bit rich for my taste. ;)
 
I dont know if this is a "new" chart, but it was posted on XBL yesterday so it should be fairly current and its from intel.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/cpu/clarksdale-sneakpeek/12.png
the 920 isn't going away anytime soon. bloomfield and lynnfield will co-exist, gulftown will be expensive until at least a year form now.

And gulftown is 100% X58 compatible with a bios update.
(and lol at two years+ of the 920 being around)
 
I dont know if this is a "new" chart, but it was posted on XBL yesterday so it should be fairly current and its from intel.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/cpu/clarksdale-sneakpeek/12.png
the 920 isn't going away anytime soon. bloomfield and lynnfield will co-exist, gulftown will be expensive until at least a year form now.

And gulftown is 100% X58 compatible with a bios update.
(and lol at two years+ of the 920 being around)

LOL WUT? i7 920 will be around till at least Q3'2010? That will make it one of the longest CPUs in production in history.
 
According to the charts, i9 will be extremes, so i doubt it will be that low. Unless you have proof that it is that price of course.

The ES I9's out now are clocked at 2.4Ghz. If they were only going to be extreme's they would be clocked over 3Ghz. There are going to be 3 versions like the I7's.

What i'm thinking....

2.4Ghz - 399.99
2.73Ghz - 699.99
3Ghz - 999.99
 
There were much lower clocked Lynnfield engineering samples out before Lynnfield was actually released. Just because a few people have 2.4GHz Gulftown ES that doesn't mean there will actually be one sold at that clock speed.
 
There were much lower clocked Lynnfield engineering samples out before Lynnfield was actually released. Just because a few people have 2.4GHz Gulftown ES that doesn't mean there will actually be one sold at that clock speed.

There's no reason to only sell a 999 processor when amd will have the X6 at like 300 dollars. Intel wont let amd have that market share.
 
I doubt Intel really cares about amd having lower prices. Even now, the price of the i7 920 is more than any amd processor, except for servers.
 
I'm not really sure how your comment is relevant. As far as I've heard everyone rates the i7 above any AMD processor currently on the consumer market. Better products tend to cost more and I have in fact heard that from most people that they deem the price increase over AMD worth it. To say Intel doesn't pay attention to the prices of their competitor based on them charging more for a better product seems kind or ridiculous to me and I hope to you as well.

The point that was being made I believe was that with the AMD offering a six core at 300, even if it doesn't out perform the i7 920 (which I find unlikely), the percieved value of being able to get six cores at 300 will make it very hard to impossible for Intel to push their six cores at prices no lower than twice that. We're not talking a routine extreme edition here, there are two extra cores planned for this coming processor and, much like other posters here, I doubt Intel won't diverge their 6 core into a line of processors instead of just one because in honesty it would make it very hard for them to sell their six cores. Much as Intel may have a disdain for the fact there's another player in the market, they're not about to ignore the consumer's perception of the value of processor's that competitor produces out of spite. That makes no sense.

I don't know about one going for $400, but I would be willing to be quoted there will be one at at least as low as $500. Or you can believe that they'll add two cores and still only sell it at extreme edition because you believe a chart says so. Though in honesty, I'm not sure how the chart says that. The chart says what will happen with i7 in the coming year, while I thought the rumor mill was fairly decided that an i9 line is coming; an i9 line that is not mentioned on the chart.

But yeah, anywho, I thought the op was talking about putting in the i9 first chance, didn't really think about a few years down the road which does indeed seem a possibility if they're the same socket, so my bad.
 
From my understanding after the die shrink, their will only be gulftown and clarkdale. 6 core and 2 core. I forsee their being reasonabally priced gulftown processors.
 
From my understanding after the die shrink, their will only be gulftown and clarkdale. 6 core and 2 core. I forsee their being reasonabally priced gulftown processors.

Intel will continue manufacturing Lynnfield CPUs once Clarkdale is released. I think they will probably continue manufacturing Bloomfield CPUs as well. They don't have enough 32nm production capability to transition to an entirely 32nm product lineup.
 
it doesn't, hes just commenting on the consumer confusion.

until sandy is released, we'll have clarkdale/lynnfield on s1156 and bloomfield/gulftown on s1366.
 
I'm not really sure how your comment is relevant. As far as I've heard everyone rates the i7 above any AMD processor currently on the consumer market. Better products tend to cost more and I have in fact heard that from most people that they deem the price increase over AMD worth it. To say Intel doesn't pay attention to the prices of their competitor based on them charging more for a better product seems kind or ridiculous to me and I hope to you as well.

The point that was being made I believe was that with the AMD offering a six core at 300, even if it doesn't out perform the i7 920 (which I find unlikely), the percieved value of being able to get six cores at 300 will make it very hard to impossible for Intel to push their six cores at prices no lower than twice that. We're not talking a routine extreme edition here, there are two extra cores planned for this coming processor and, much like other posters here, I doubt Intel won't diverge their 6 core into a line of processors instead of just one because in honesty it would make it very hard for them to sell their six cores. Much as Intel may have a disdain for the fact there's another player in the market, they're not about to ignore the consumer's perception of the value of processor's that competitor produces out of spite. That makes no sense.

I don't know about one going for $400, but I would be willing to be quoted there will be one at at least as low as $500. Or you can believe that they'll add two cores and still only sell it at extreme edition because you believe a chart says so. Though in honesty, I'm not sure how the chart says that. The chart says what will happen with i7 in the coming year, while I thought the rumor mill was fairly decided that an i9 line is coming; an i9 line that is not mentioned on the chart.

But yeah, anywho, I thought the op was talking about putting in the i9 first chance, didn't really think about a few years down the road which does indeed seem a possibility if they're the same socket, so my bad.

I think it's likely there will be a $500 i9 part too. However it probably won't be any cheaper than that.
 
Back
Top