Question about game streaming.

Syribo

[H]ard|Gawd
So since I built my new PC (All the specs are in my signature) I've finally been able to stream via Twitch. I stream FFXIV a lot, I even streamed Sims 4, whatever I'm playing.

For me, it seems a little slower or laggier than I thought it would be for my system? Is my build not sufficient enough to stream decently? I've adjusted the settings here and there, but it's not great. I use OBS, downscale to 720p, my bitrate is good. I don't need to stream at max settings or even at 1080, I would be happy with it at 720 but without skipping so many frames and lagging.

Could it be my processor? Or just my GPU? I did order a 970GTX so I could finally upgrade my GPU, as it was the only part in this PC that wasn't brand new. But now I'm wondering.. is it my processor holding me back, or my GPU? I almost considered canceling the 970 and maybe getting an i7 and selling my i5. I just want to be able to stream without people telling me how laggy it is, or making the quality look atrocious.

So I'm wondering what everyone's advice would be. What would be the better upgrade. Would the MSI 970GTX Gaming be a big performance increase to my 650 ti boost superclocked? Or possibly help my streaming? Or is it my processor that's making streaming sub par.

Last edited:
Shadowplay?

If you're using x264 CPU encoding, switching to NVENC will make a huge difference.

How fast is your upload? If your bitrate is too high for your connection to handle or your connection is dropping packets you'll get dropped frames, etc.

My connection is about 100MB/40MB. I set my bitrate to 8000KB, used to be at 3300KB and it seems to make no difference what it's set to.

I do have it set to x264 CPU encoding, actually. I will try it with Nvidia NVENC.

Hm, I never used Shadowplay yet.. maybe I should try it.

Oh geez, switching to NVENC seemed to make my stream run and look better, but my game framerate was weird and is actually giving me a headache with the stream going. Usually when I stream, I notice a small stuttering amount in game, but this was really bad.

The 650 is the absolute minimum card to work with NVENC/Shadowplay so I would expect it to be much better with the 970.

The 650 is the absolute minimum card to work with NVENC/Shadowplay so I would expect it to be much better with the 970.

I figured.I know my card isn't too powerful. Honestly, I'm surprised I can play BF4 on Ultra with this thing. It wasn't a bad deal for $175 last year. It seems to be a lot better than the regular 650. Glad I went with the boost superclocked one with 2GB of memory instead of 1GB. But it's time for an upgrade.. the rest of the PC is upgraded.

Hope that stuttering thing will get better, it honestly really gave me a headache and made me feel nauseous :( Stream looked great though lol

I just need to update this but, now my stream is running amazingly. It's also running at 1080p, and people are commenting on how it looks awesome and really clear and running well. So thanks, I never even noticed the NVENC setting. I can only imagine how it will look when I finally get my 970 too :p

I'm just amazed this 650 ti boost can run things this well.. Run the game at max, and stream at 1080p? Lol. Totally worth the $175 I spent on it last year.

Back