• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Question about a Q6600 Quad Core

4LC4PON3

DERP!
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
4,230
Is a Q6600 Quad Core still Viable for Modern Day Gaming or is the CPU starting to show its age. Ive been out of the Tech for along time. I got an Offer for a Nice Q6600 Rig for Cheap but I want to make sure its still a good Chip.

Intel Q6600 Quad Core 2.4@3.6Ghz
Gigabyte ep45-ud3l
6GB DDR2 Memory
Nvidia Evga 8800 GTX 768MB
Antec P-180 Full
F3 SpinPoint 500GB + 36 GB 10k RPM Raptor

Not sure what it wold be worth but what would you pay or would you not buy it at all.
 
Last edited:
ok i wasnt sure my brother wanted to know because he got a deal on it for 250 bucks. ill just have him build the other rig then
 
Mine runs all the new games great at 1680x1050 (max res of my 20" LCD) with all or almost all eye candy and AA/AF maxed.
 
I don't know what your other options are, but for $250 I think that's is a pretty good deal. I just passed down my Q6700 @ 3.3 Ghz to my kids and I only did that because their old machine died. Otherwise I'd have held onto it for another year.
 
ok i wasnt sure my brother wanted to know because he got a deal on it for 250 bucks. ill just have him build the other rig then

Wait $250 for all that? In that case, I say the money is worth it if you're willing to concede to some inevitability. While the 8800GTX 768MB is definitely showing its age, a a 3.6Ghz Q6600 is still capable if still showing its age a little bit. Though I wouldn't bother with the 36Gb Raptor drive at all: More than likely that Samsung outperforms it.

Though the main problem is long-term upgrades in the CPU department. Frankly put, unless you can find the Q9450 or Q9550 for $150 to $170, that Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz is pretty much the most cost-effective CPU for that setup. not to mention the

At the very least, the Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz is definitely equal if not faster than the X4 640 you had in your other build before I recommended that Phenom II.
 
yeah never mind that. the guy boosted the price to an insane 500 bucks wich is crazy in my eyes. we are going with the other build you recommended.
 
Intel Q6600 Quad Core 2.4@3.6Ghz
Gigabyte ep45-ud3l
6GB DDR2 Memory
Nvidia Evga 8800 GTX 768MB
Antec P-180 Full
F3 SpinPoint 500GB + 36 GB 10k RPM Raptor
TruePower 750Watt PSU

He said he could do this for 400. I had to tell him no. then he tryed to offer in a ton of PC games ontop of it. im ordering the new Rig from newegg tomorrow. The PC would only be used for WoW & Cabal Only so I wasnt sure if it was a good deal or not. Its not going to be playing anything else Period
 
Back
Top