Quantum Break

AMD had problems with GoW:U and everyone went straight to complaining about Microsoft, the developer, Windows 10, UWP, and GameWorks.
Nvidia has a problem and it's "Fix the driver".

By the way, GoW did have driver problems and AMD eventually fixed it.
The crazy thing is, this was a month ago and apparently people are STILL blaming the developer.

Where were you last month posting DigitalFoundry videos appealing to AMD owners to "petition AMD to fix the game"? Just ridiculous... You're trolling, concern trolling specifically.

The AMD driver didn't fix the game. It was still pausing and jerking like a Parkinson's patient after the driver. Want to know what fixed the game? A patch. Now GOW runs perfect.

I say driver in this case since Nvidia has been sucking it up on ALL DX12 games year to date. Their performance has been nonexistent since Ashes was in PreAlpha. Obviously going by their performance in other DX12 games this hasn't changed.

Can Remedy optimize the game more for Nvidia users? Sure! There are always bugs even in finished games from 20 years ago. But Nvidia definitely needs to optimize their DX12 drivers for general gaming across the board. I encourage their customers to complain on their boards for a positive change instead of looking starstruck at Pascal as the savior.

That's my thought process on this. Feel free to show me a different mode of thinking and I will take that into consideration. I think you're misconstruing my outspokenness as trolling. For that I'm sorry. But dammit go complain to Nvidia at least.

The game needs work, it is unfortunate and I do not excuse the developers or publishers when this shit happens. Even if AMD is getting better FPS at this time, there are still large issues looming which need to be fixed regardless of which GPU you run. Sure, Nvidia needs to improve their driver. No doubts to me about that after seeing these numbers. But for me the bigger issues to be fixed are on the developer side with GSYNC and SLI (or Freesync / Crossfire). They got GSYNC working on GoW:UE soon after release, I'm hoping we will see something similar here. Something tells me we will see a GSYNC fix well before SLI, and with the somewhat bad frame times I am more interested in getting GSYNC working anyways.

With all the documented problems with Quantum Break, I've actually been very lucky. For starters, only one crash here. Secondly I was actually able to figure out how to exit the game without taking it to the internet and complaining.

The AMD driver didn't fix the game. It was still pausing and jerking like a Parkinson's patient after the driver. Want to know what fixed the game? A patch. Now GOW runs perfect.

I say driver in this case since Nvidia has been sucking it up on ALL DX12 games year to date. Their performance has been nonexistent since Ashes was in PreAlpha. Obviously going by their performance in other DX12 games this hasn't changed.

Can Remedy optimize the game more for Nvidia users? Sure! There are always bugs even in finished games from 20 years ago. But Nvidia definitely needs to optimize their DX12 drivers for general gaming across the board. I encourage their customers to complain on their boards for a positive change instead of looking starstruck at Pascal as the savior.

That's my thought process on this. Feel free to show me a different mode of thinking and I will take that into consideration. I think you're misconstruing my outspokenness as trolling. For that I'm sorry. But dammit go complain to Nvidia at least.
We have two AMD sponsored games that run great on AMD. Rise of the Tomb Raider runs great on Nvidia.
Gears of War is broken on AMD. QB is broken on Nvidia. Both of those games are pretty messed up overall.

I don't see any reason users should be complaining to Nvidia about "optimizing their DX12 drivers", except QB obviously. But I think AMD deserved the same treatment over Gears of War, which makes QB's issues less notable.

So what exactly should we complain about...? "Nvidia needs to work harder on Gaming Evolved games"? You could apply the same logic to AMD and GameWorks games, nobody is petitioning AMD over those. If it's an async issue, then there's nothing more we can do about it since it's dominated headlines for the last 6 months. The current state of QB is a top post on both /r/games and /r/pcgaming right now as well as multiple PC gaming websites around the web. I think Nvidia knows.

PC gamers need to put pressure on Nvidia, but they also need to stop giving AMD a pass everytime they have a problem. And you are perpetuating that as evidenced in this thread so far.

Gears runs perfect on the equipment in my signature. As does Quantum Break except for scenes where the lighting is more prevalent. Maybe it's the 5 year old motherboard and processor choice? /sarcasm.

Tomb Raider as far as I can remember gets zero boost on Nvidia's hardware under DX12. To me that's kinda broken when the DX12 calling card is performance boosts. I can't think of a DX12 title where Nvidia drivers are better at DX12 in relation to DX11. Again mixed snarly sarcasm; not mad. :)

I still think they need to rethink their drivers code in relation to DX12. Just my current opinion. The guy in the Digital Foundry video even stated that Nvidia put out a driver for this title. Sorry, but I think that they have done much better in the past and certainly need to do better in the future.

And if you pay any attention to my posts I complained to AMD about their performance in other titles also. Even went to the PR team and Raja Koduri with my performance issues on Twitter, official AMD boards, AMD Twitch livestreams, etc. Guess what? My shit got fixed ASAP. That's why I said what I said about complaining on Nvidia boards about Nvidia issues with games. Squeaky wheel get the grease. At least it worked for me.

Again I wasn't trying to troll. Sorry if it came off that way.

What went wrong with Quantum Break on PC?

Eurogamer's full article is live.

QB on PC IS a shitshow, with weird bugs and terrible decisions (720p reconstruction for 1080p on pc? WTFing F???)

game sounds like a total disaster on PC...if this is what we have to look forward to with DX12 then I'll stick with DX11...

"As things stand, it simply isn't possible to achieve a smooth frame-rate on any PC hardware configuration and thanks to the profound limitations imposed on gamers by the Universal Windows Platform, there's no way to fix it...There's the sense that this game needed more focus, a lot more testing, and - in Nvidia's case - better drivers...But Microsoft has to bear responsibility too: several of the issues encountered here are a direct result of UWP's lack of features and quality, to the point where even downloading and installing the game is a trial

The maximum frame-rate seems to be limited to 5/6th of the refresh rate - this means, when using a 60Hz monitor, the game simply cannot go beyond 50 frames per second...We even tried it with a Core i7 system paired with Titan X running at 720p on the lowest settings, but 50fps was still the limit - and the same thing applies to AMD GPUs too..."

game sounds like a total disaster on PC...if this is what we have to look forward to with DX12 then I'll stick with DX11...

"As things stand, it simply isn't possible to achieve a smooth frame-rate on any PC hardware configuration and thanks to the profound limitations imposed on gamers by the Universal Windows Platform, there's no way to fix it...There's the sense that this game needed more focus, a lot more testing, and - in Nvidia's case - better drivers...But Microsoft has to bear responsibility too: several of the issues encountered here are a direct result of UWP's lack of features and quality, to the point where even downloading and installing the game is a trial

The maximum frame-rate seems to be limited to 5/6th of the refresh rate - this means, when using a 60Hz monitor, the game simply cannot go beyond 50 frames per second...We even tried it with a Core i7 system paired with Titan X running at 720p on the lowest settings, but 50fps was still the limit - and the same thing applies to AMD GPUs too..."
It sounds more like a piss-poor port hampered by being locked down in UWP. I don't think this is a DX12 issue, inherently.

At some point Gears was "fixed" to run fine and KI can run 4K/60hz. Not saying that UWP isn't a major problem, but I don't think some of these issues are specific to it.

It sounds more like a piss-poor port hampered by being locked down in UWP. I don't think this is a DX12 issue, inherently.

you're right but since DX12 is tied to UWP and the Windows Store then all DX12 games are destined to suffer the same fate unless MS makes some major changes

you're right but since DX12 is tied to UWP and the Windows Store then all DX12 games are destined to suffer the same fate unless MS makes some major changes

What are you talking about? DX12 games can be Win32 apps and don't have to be on the Windows Store.

At some point Gears was "fixed" to run fine and KI can run 4K/60hz. Not saying that UWP isn't a major problem, but I don't think some of these issues are specific to it.
I mean UWP is making it hard for users to see whats going on and deploy their usual mods and fixes, but it seems like the primary issue here is with the port. I guess if devs see UWP as an easy way for them to shovel console code directly onto PCs, things are going to be bad, but hopefully they take some hints from the backlash we see with this one.

What are you talking about? DX12 games can be Win32 apps and don't have to be on the Windows Store.

you're right...I meant that MS seems to be pushing their own storefront with these early DX12 titles and I wouldn't be surprised to see them push for exclusivity more and more...Remedy used to make good PC ports so this disaster has to be bigger then just a simple bad port

you're right...I meant that MS seems to be pushing their own storefront with these early DX12 titles and I wouldn't be surprised to see them push for exclusivity more and more...Remedy used to make good PC ports so this disaster has to be bigger then just a simple bad port

I would argue that Remedy Entertainment makes god like PC ports. Last Max Payne was ultra smooth. Alan Wake ran like butter on day one. Aside from UWP, not Remedy's fault, this game runs like butter on AMD gear. I still think a couple of driver releases and lighting tweaks will make this game perfect on Nvidia's hardware.

I would argue that Remedy Entertainment makes god like PC ports. Last Max Payne was ultra smooth. Alan Wake ran like butter on day one. Aside from UWP, not Remedy's fault, this game runs like butter on AMD gear. I still think a couple of driver releases and lighting tweaks will make this game perfect on Nvidia's hardware.

but there are still issues such as the frame rate being limited to 5/6th of the refresh rate etc that the Eurogamer article listed...things will most likely improve with patches and driver updates but I'm not sure if this will ever be a great PC game from a technical standpoint

but there are still issues such as the frame rate being limited to 5/6th of the refresh rate etc that the Eurogamer article listed...things will most likely improve with patches and driver updates but I'm not sure if this will ever be a great PC game from a technical standpoint

Those are UWP problems I think. Might be a Remedy problem, but I suspect that they were trying to unlock the frame rate creatively. I think MS needs to rethink UWP to take the handcuffs off developers. Developers shouldn't have to worry about things like VSYNC when porting to the PC. It should be like it always was before DX12 and the Windows Store.

too hell with this game runs like shiet and costs way too much.. and needs win 10 only haha what a joke.

Shame. I suppose it is Microsoft's restrictions, pushing a release date and forcing the Windows store stuff that brought the quality down. Alan Wake on PC looked and ran great even if it came out later. I don't think the blame falls on Remedy.

I'd talk about this game, I played through it twice already and you could say that I am a fan. The story was very good, personally I found it better than Alan Wake. They are different though and I think I just prefer the time travel sci-fi aspect.

We all wish it ran better, was on Steam, supported SLI / Crossfire | Gsync / Freesync. But frankly most people are whiners. The issues weren't that bad. Case in point, dumb asses can't even figure out how to exit the game and then take to the internet to shout the game down. "Get this guys, this game is such ass that it doesn't even have a quit option".

People are stupid.

I'd talk about this game, I played through it twice already and you could say that I am a fan. The story was very good, personally I found it better than Alan Wake. They are different though and I think I just prefer the time travel sci-fi aspect.

We all wish it ran better, was on Steam, supported SLI / Crossfire | Gsync / Freesync. But frankly most people are whiners. The issues weren't that bad. Case in point, dumb asses can't even figure out how to exit the game and then take to the internet to shout the game down. "Get this guys, this game is such ass that it doesn't even have a quit option".

People are stupid.

you had a system similar to mine in terms of horse power.
how does it run? do you plaied it at 1080? what settings?
what is the average framerate?

We all wish it ran better, was on Steam, supported SLI / Crossfire | Gsync / Freesync.
Would have made more business sense to put it on Steam considering how bad this release was. It also doesn't help Microsoft's new commitment to PC gaming after the GFWL disaster. Fixing the UWP restrictions "later" is bad PR. Maybe they get it right this time but I wouldn't bet on it.

Anybody with a 980ti having it crash every few minutes back to the desktop? Insane how bad this port is. I had similar trouble with the latest Hitman, but cleared up once I turned off the DX12 path. I fear QB is just more DX12 and Nvidia nonsense.

you had a system similar to mine in terms of horse power.
how does it run? do you plaied it at 1080? what settings?
what is the average framerate?

I run everything on High and turn off the AA option. I think there is always on termporal AA or something like that, and the setting in the options menu is separate and a different type of AA.

I've had weird issues in some of the in game cut scenes, specifically character movements can look jerky when the camera is panning. Some other graphical anomalies here and there but nothing too bad. A few CTD's as well.

Finally got my PC code. They really fucked that up. I already finished it on Xbox. Going to play through it again on PC with the opposite choices.

http://community.remedygames.com/forum/games/quantum-break/261576-quantum-break-status-update

The entire development team at Remedy Entertainment and Microsoft Studios want to thank all our fans for the success that Quantum Break has experienced since it launched last week on April 5. We have spent the last four years working on Quantum Break – the ultimate Remedy Entertainment game as we call it – and to see how warmly it has been received by gamers worldwide has been exhilarating and incredibly rewarding.

We are aware that some players are facing issues with the Windows 10 version of Quantum Break and some extent on Xbox One. We want to let you know that we are working diligently with Microsoft Studios on addressing all the feedback; below are the things we know about today that are being worked on.

We want to thank our fans again for all their continued support for Remedy and apologize for any problems you have faced playing Quantum Break. We are paying close attention to forums and the discussion online about Quantum Break and are doing our best to solve the issues you are experiencing.

Windows 10 Issues & Solutions

Stuttering Frame-Rate / Frame Pacing
There was a major rounding error introduced into our refresh rate predictions on shipping. A solution to this issue is already being worked on; we expect it to be resolved in a Quantum Break Title Update launching in the near future.

Windows 10 Performance Issues
Remedy is looking into how to improve the overall performance of the game. Part of that is working closely with AMD and NVIDIA to address issues and improve the gameplay experience.

Sometimes, after a longer play session, the game can end up to a state where the video memory becomes fragmented, and an important asset gets moved to system memory, which slows the rendering performance significantly. This problem is very rare and Remedy will continue to investigate and improve the video memory behavior in future updates.

If you experience this issue, exiting and restarting Quantum Break will resolve this issue for now. This is one way to identify if you have encountered this issue or if it’s another potential problem.

Graphics Drivers:
We recommend, for AMD Radeon GPU’s, AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.4.1

We recommend, for NVIDIA GPU’s, 362.00 from NVIDIA.

Keep in mind, these drivers might have an impact on other software on your computer.

Windows 10 Frame Rate Locked?
In May, Microsoft will be enabling the ability for developers to disable v-sync and adding support for G-Sync and Freesync monitors. This means that UWP games running in full screen, borderless windowed mode will have all of the performance advantages of traditional full screen exclusive mode.

No Option to Quit from Main Menu
We hear you! By popular demand, we are adding an exit option to the main menu in an upcoming title update. For now, similar to all Windows 10 apps, you will need to use Alt-F4 or move the mouse cursor to top right corner of the window to the see the X icon, which you can click to exit the game.

Crashing on Launch
We have been able to repro at least one reason for a rare crash on launch– with some SIMD instructions that require SSE4.1. We are working on fixing that in a future title update, and will fix any other issues we find as they are reported.

Image Quality
We are working on giving users more control to turn on and off features like film grain. We love the artistic choice for our game, but we also want to give PC gamers more choice and this will come in a future update.

Does Quantum Break support SLI or other multi-GPU solutions?
Quantum Break on Windows 10 unfortunately doesn’t support DirectX12 multi-GPU rendering. Due to the engine architecture, the work needed to support multiple GPUs would have been significant and out of scope for Remedy for Quantum Break.

Render technique and resolution on Windows 10
The Windows 10 version of Quantum Break uses the same reconstruction method as on Xbox One. If your resolution is set to 1080p, the game temporally reconstructs the image (except UI) from four 720p buffers rendered with 4xMSAA, just like on Xbox One. Engine assigns input geometry samples from 4xMSAA rendering into shaded clusters in order to maximize covered geometry while keeping the performance on acceptable level by reducing expensive shaded samples. When you change the resolution, the buffers used to construct the image are always 2/3rds of the set resolution, i.e. in 2560x1440 they would be 1706x960.

Download Issues
We are aware some users are having issues downloading the game from the Windows Store. There are some known bugs with the way the progress bar is rendered. Microsoft is standing by to help anyone who has issues downloading and the Windows 10 Anniversary Update this summer will massively improve the overall experience for these kinds of big games.

General Issues & Solutions (Xbox One and Windows 10)

Light Flare / Blinking Lights
This is a known issue. A permanent fix is being introduced in the next Title Update in the near future. For now, the problem can be resolved by exiting and re-launching the game.

Film Grain
This is an artistic choice from Remedy Entertainment. We wanted a cinematic look for our game and “film grain” is part of that look. Depending on the brand of TV you use or if your Xbox One is connected to a monitor, the film grain can look very different. Always use “Game Mode” on your television if such a feature exists. Make sure you adjust your sharpness setting down on your monitor or TV as well as the brightness setting in Quantum Break.”

What a clusterfuck.

Has anyone tried running the game at a higher resolution to counteract the temporal AA? I enable DSR but I don't have an option to select 2880x1620. A Digital Foundry video I watched implied they had done this but I'm not sure how it was accomplished.

So they say Microsoft is releasing a UWP update that allows vsync features to be toggled, I wonder if Remedy will wait that long to release their next patch. I already finished it once and really want to play through again, but I want to wait until it's tweaked.

So is the game actually any fun? All I see is that it runs like shit and is Windows store exclusive which I would be loathe to bother with unless this game is the next "Last of Us"

Djoye - What they say about vsync / gsync implies that as soon as MS releases the May update, Quantum Break will get those benefits automatically. I'm still not sure why they would need to wait, GoW:UE was released without gsync support and after a patch it is now supported.

Jaytee - I never played Last of Us, but I was led to believe it is mostly about the story and characters. The game looked good and played well but the story is what put it over the top. In that way QB is similar, the story is (in my opinion) the high point of this game. The gameplay and using time powers is fun, but honestly I found myself wanting to get through those sections just so I could progress the story.

Whether it is worth $60 is up to you. I don't regret my purchase, the game had very few problems on my machine. At this point if you are on the fence you might as well wait it out and see how the updates go, and maybe wait for a sale.

If a story driven game is your thing The Last of Us and Heavy Rain are awesome. I bought a PS3 just to play TLoU and found heavy rain by recommendation.

Bought a cheap xbone key and beat this (PC version) over the past couple days. Took about 10-12 hours but I read a good bit of the in-game story stuff that most players would skip. Played it on a 1080p 16:9 monitor as it does not support non-typical resolution ratios like 21:9 (it stretches the image to the wrong aspect ratio). With all settings on ultra performance was fine on my rig.

The internal resolution upscaling didn't bother me but is noticeable and will bother anyone who is a graphics whore or requires a crisp image. Even so the game looked decent, it speaks to the quality of Remedy's artists that it looks fairly good even with the upscaling. The time shader effects are out of this world and probably the most spectacular thing about the game visually. A couple of the mini-boss fights nearing the end of the game where the environment destruction played in a loop-reverse-loop while the shader effects were going off were a stunning visual treat.

In between each act (there are 5 acts if I remember correctly) you get a 20 minute "live action tv show" streamed from Microsoft's servers which expands the story of the game a bit. This was neither hit nor miss for me, though I don't mind seeing developers trying new things. The quality of the directing/performance were your typical B-actors tv show, not bad and not amazing.

The game was fairly fun, typical "TPS with extra abilities" kind of game though the abilities you get didn't feel like they meshed with each other - they should have made them in a manner you would 'combo' them for increased effectiveness. There are some plot choices to be made which affect the story and some skillpoints to spend to buff your skills, but both are minor in terms of affecting the gameplay. Last few levels were tedious, clear a room full of baddies, rinse and repeat over and over over - but nevertheless the game as a whole had ok-ish pacing.

I'd say the game is worth playing through once at around 15 bucks or so.

After playing through Act I, I'm disappointed in being restricted to 16:9. I hate having the black bars, which kills the immersion for me. The graphics are pretty good but way too blurry in certain cases. I think this game's engine needs an overhaul for PC.

I'll grab this on sale after a few more patches down the road. I really liked Alan Wake so I want to play this, but don't want to support stupid MS store platform.

is the game now playable at 1080P maxed out without upscaling at 60FPS with a GTX980 Ti SLI?

is the game now playable at 1080P maxed out without upscaling at 60FPS with a GTX980 Ti SLI?
Well a single 980 Ti running at 1450 still dips into the mid to low 30s so I would say no unless you get perfect scaling.

I tried the 30 fps lock in the game and it is not bad at all and I normally cant tolerate 30 fps. A consistent 30 fps is way better feeling in this game than having the framerate fluctuating so much. Even just panning around with the 30 fps lock is way less jittery than doing that in the 40s or 50s even.

2516571-6805659098-25163.gif

I read this uses 16 gigs of ram or it's recommended.
So I'm upgrading to 32 gigs of DDR4 soon

Back