Quantum Break PC Update Weighs In At 27GB

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Want to know how your game is broken? When it requires a 27GB patch.

Quantum Break has been Quantum Broken on the PC since it launched, with Remedy Entertainment pushing out a new 'title update' for Windows 10 version of the game. Remedy's PR boss Thomas Puha said that Title Update 2 for Quantum Break on Windows 10 is now available, with the new patch weighing an insane 27GB. Seriously, that's more than what full games weigh in at, with the new patch giving you the ability to turn on/off the film grain, upscaling, and fixes the niggly frame pacing problems.

Does the Windows Store even do delta patches, or do they just update and rerelease the entire "app"?

When I was a young kid, my grandfather used to tell me stories about how early consoles like NES or PS2 that studios only got one shot at a release and that what ever was released on launch day was what everyone would always get.

I never believed him though, the idea of consumers paying for a finished product just seems unrealistic to me.

What game releases aren't just beta nowadays anyways. They release the game version 1.0 and within a month they are at 1.8.3, silly.

When I was a young kid, my grandfather used to tell me stories about how early consoles like NES or PS2 that studios only got one shot at a release and that what ever was released on launch day was what everyone would always get.

I never believed him though, the idea of consumers paying for a finished product just seems unrealistic to me.
Nintentdo even had a seal or quality :)

Reactions: AK0tA
like this
Does the Windows Store even do delta patches, or do they just update and rerelease the entire "app"?

They have patches for some games. Killer Instinct had one that was only a few megs last week. That game handles a lot via internal DLC, so that could be the exception and not the rule, though.

For anyone that has Quantum Break - does this really fix everything they claim? I'm still kinda interested in the game, and the patch for Gears of War DID fix its issues.

Hey hey, some titles had multiple versions; they just didn't tell anybody about them, and certainly wouldn't give you a new version.

Pure poppycock.

Want to know how your game is broken? When it requires a 27GB patch.

Quantum Break has been Quantum Broken on the PC since it launched, with Remedy Entertainment pushing out a new 'title update' for Windows 10 version of the game. Remedy's PR boss Thomas Puha said that Title Update 2 for Quantum Break on Windows 10 is now available, with the new patch weighing an insane 27GB. Seriously, that's more than what full games weigh in at, with the new patch giving you the ability to turn on/off the film grain, upscaling, and fixes the niggly frame pacing problems.

Also the patch give people the ability to quit the game from a menu. The only way to quit the original was to grab and pull on the top of the app window (which a lot of people don't know about) or ALT+F4 :p

How about looking at it from another angle? Seems like they were willing to do what it takes to patch the game correctly even if it amounted to a huge update.

And when games released in broken, unfinished, or unbeatable states they were like that forever. As much as we like to pretend the past was the golden age of gaming we're quick to forget just how many bad games released. We only remember the good ones and try to forget all the times we played games that would have massively benefited from patches. Oh and patches have been a thing for PC games since the 90s, those of us without modems and internet access back then either had to get them from friends ore buy PC gaming magazines that always cost extra due to the disc that would contain shareware, demos, and patches. Some things have gotten a lot worse over time but the advent of widespread internet is a good thing.

Its still unplayable, Gsync still dosent work with it, and even if i disable gsync the performance is terrible, shuddering all over the place

How about looking at it from another angle? Seems like they were willing to do what it takes to patch the game correctly even if it amounted to a huge update.
By your logic...
VW is going to buyback a bunch of their crap emission cheating cars.
Seems like they were willing to do what it takes. I'm now a fan. Cheating emission tests wasn't all bad.

By your logic...
VW is going to buyback a bunch of their crap emission cheating cars.
Seems like they were willing to do what it takes. I'm now a fan. Cheating emission tests wasn't all bad.

You're talking about something VW fixed only because they got caught violating laws, and the "fix" is to actually make the cars worse for the customers. I'm not sure how that is comparable.

Chalk it up to a combination of tighter deadlines and the general increase in complexity of modern games. Early games were a lot simpler with fewer moving parts technically. In the face of that reality, you can either spend more and more time to fix issues, or send something out semi working while you fix the rest after launch. It looks like the desire to hit deadlines wins. I don't fault devs for having a harder time getting things working properly though, that seems inevitable.

this. im not sure but this should be part of a standard for nintendo and the nx console.... i know aint happening cant risk developer's anger probably.. yes i know this is about a pc game.. but consoles to their detriment have been infected with the same.

I was interested in this game as it looks pretty cool I just hope they get this fixed. Early adopters get hammered again, this is why I wait for the steam sale cause by then one hopes it's fixed or trash canned.

To be fair, barring Windows store generalissues, the games plays pretty darn well on AMD cards, nvidia need to step it up though.

I don't own this game, but stuff like this makes me happy I don't have metered internet.

I pity those who do.

Based on my typical Steam download speeds, I'd have this in 25 minutes.

Back