Quantum Break Is $29.99 On Steam

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Titanfall 2, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Overwatch, and now this—my bank account is under assault and it’s not even BF yet. I’m a sucker for cinematic games so this is a no-brainer for me, but those on the fence have until the 29th to decide at this price.

In the aftermath of a split second of destruction that fractures time itself, two people find they have changed and gained extraordinary abilities. One of them travels through time and becomes hell-bent on controlling this power. The other uses these new abilities to attempt to defeat him – and fix time before it tears itself irreparably apart. Both face overwhelming odds and make dramatic choices that will determine the shape of the future. Quantum Break is a unique experience; one part hard-hitting video game, one part thrilling live action show, featuring a stellar cast, including Shawn Ashmore as the hero Jack Joyce, Aidan Gillen as his nemesis Paul Serene and Dominic Monaghan as Jack’s genius brother William.

Anymore, any reasonable gamer will wait for games to gain additional stability via patches, but also wait for all the DLC as well as additional patches that add in game play balance, stability and performance. The biggest gain being price.

Next summer I will buy Tombraider, Overwatch, Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1 etc etc for $10 to $15 each with all the DLC included. Why on earth would I spend $30 to $60 right now?

Okay, so everyone who's played this game says it's really good, but the videos and advertising really don't draw me into it.

Anymore, any reasonable gamer will wait for games to gain additional stability via patches, but also wait for all the DLC as well as additional patches that add in game play balance, stability and performance. The biggest gain being price.

Next summer I will buy Tombraider, Overwatch, Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1 etc etc for $10 to $15 each with all the DLC included. Why on earth would I spend $30 to $60 right now?

You are waiting for DLC that doesn't exist? They never said there was going to be DLC, they never sold a season pass. They have actually have said there will be no DLC. So you are going to be waiting a very long time for that. As for the games that you mentioned. normally waiting for a FPS game to go that cheap is a very stupid idea. By that point you are far behind everyone else playing IF there is actually anyone playing anymore. For a single player game sure, go ahead and wait, but for an online multiplayer game probably should get it when everyone else is playing to be able to find matches and not be that outclassed.

Okay, so everyone who's played this game says it's really good, but the videos and advertising really don't draw me into it.

I got the game when it was first released, it is an interesting game. It really depends on what type of game that you like. The most interesting part of the game is how they play out the story, it is a mix of game and tv show. You play a chapter as the main character, then you flip and play as the bad guy. The choices that you make can help or hurt you some as the main character. Then you watch a 30 - 40 live action episode. The actions that you did during the game change the story that you watch in different ways. Not sure to what degree as I haven't tried every possible combination.

I'll wait until never cause I heard the game sucks.
Lol I have not heard that at all. It is a pretty decent game but when it came out it had many issues. Those issues were fixed and the only thing wrong with the game is the Windows Store version is just way too demanding. The Steam version looks and plays exactly the same but runs WAY more efficiently.

Honestly I probably won't ever buy this game at any price. I like the idea of the game, but they lost my sale when they crippled the PC version by making the live action video parts require a net connection to stream it while the console version had it all on the disc or in the download for the download version. This is probably no big deal to most people but if they decide to take down the streaming server, the PC version will be SOL in the future if you replay the game several years later. Unless they change that "feature" I definitely won't buy the game since I have a tendency to put some games on hold for a long time (like years for some games). It's one of the main reasons why I don't like subscription or online only games, cause you don't own it. You depend on their servers or it no longer works and for a single player game like this one it's an even bigger offense IMHO.

Overwatch and Titanfall 2 aren't getting any traditional paid DLC. And I'll be surprised if Titanfall 2's online survives a full year dear to EA's stupidity.

Honestly I probably won't ever buy this game at any price. I like the idea of the game, but they lost my sale when they crippled the PC version by making the live action video parts require a net connection to stream it while the console version had it all on the disc or in the download for the download version. This is probably no big deal to most people but if they decide to take down the streaming server, the PC version will be SOL in the future if you replay the game several years later. Unless they change that "feature" I definitely won't buy the game since I have a tendency to put some games on hold for a long time (like years for some games). It's one of the main reasons why I don't like subscription or online only games, cause you don't own it. You depend on their servers or it no longer works and for a single player game like this one it's an even bigger offense IMHO.

That part does suck, but they had a good reason for it. There are 40 versions of the videos. On the Xbox One these are only 1080p and that took up 76GB. So assuming exactly 4:1 for file size you are looking at 304GB of video. They could always decide to do something like you can download the 80GB of HD cut scene but if you want 4K you have to stream.

That part does suck, but they had a good reason for it. There are 40 versions of the videos. On the Xbox One these are only 1080p and that took up 76GB. So assuming exactly 4:1 for file size you are looking at 304GB of video. They could always decide to do something like you can download the 80GB of HD cut scene but if you want 4K you have to stream.

That's too bad, I'd like to enjoy higher resolution encodes but living in the boonies means there's no way I can stream 4K (or even 1080p for that matter) comfortably. Release date + 2 weeks is the usual release date around here for download titles. :) Meanwhile hard drives are hitting, what, 8TB already?

That's too bad, I'd like to enjoy higher resolution encodes but living in the boonies means there's no way I can stream 4K (or even 1080p for that matter) comfortably. Release date + 2 weeks is the usual release date around here for download titles. :) Meanwhile hard drives are hitting, what, 8TB already?

Lets take somebody like you then as an example. If you have to spend 2 weeks downloading that typical game how long will it take you to download an extra 300 GB of files then? Lets make the false assumption that all 40 videos are the same size meaning that is 7.6GB for each one and you watch 5 of them while playing the game, so that is 5 videos (38GB) that you would need and 35 (266GB) that you don't. So if a standard 20GB game takes you 2 weeks, you are looking at 32 weeks to download this game. The reverse is what they do now. You download the game and then based on what choices you make when it goes to play the video it needs and plays it at the best quality possible for your connection. Which yes drives are getting up to 8TB but not everyone has that. Most average people probably will have 1TB with only people like us having larger, but you still have to be able to download the file. Which for some ignore disc size or the time it might take to download, 300GB might be a good chunk out of some people's data caps.

Although all that said, still don't see why it couldn't have been left there as an option for those that really wanted to go that route. It is there for the console if you want to download an extra 80GB so don't see why PC couldn't have had an option for download 1080p or 4K, or allow them to stream. Those with the space and bandwidth could download and everyone else could stream.

Lol I have not heard that at all. It is a pretty decent game but when it came out it had many issues. Those issues were fixed and the only thing wrong with the game is the Windows Store version is just way too demanding. The Steam version looks and plays exactly the same but runs WAY more efficiently.
Angry Joe from the future just said it totally sucks.

I keep hearing about long 30 minute interactive movies within the game and that's the main turnoff for me

I keep hearing about long 30 minute interactive movies within the game and that's the main turnoff for me

That isn't what it is. There are 30 minute cut scenes between Acts.

You have Act 1 Chapter 1 Play as the main character, Chapter 2 play as the enemy, then Chapter 3 30-40 minute cut scene setup like a TV show. Then Act 2 Chapter 1 play as main character, chapter 2 play as bad guy, Chapter 3 30 - 40 min cut scene....

you just watch the cut scene which fills in what it going on in the background as you are playing the game to give you the story from multiple angles. The episodes however change depending on what you do and what choices you make. So for example at one point you have the choice of the bad guy killing a person or making her post a fake video about the events of what happen. Depending on which you select is going to change the events later in the game and also change the episode that you see after you make the choice. So it isn't interactive, it is reactive.

Personally I liked it as I found having what is basically a TV show (it is all live action not game engine / CGI) mixed in helped give a more complete story. You get a game and a mini series tied together so that as you play you have your main story then you have all the stuff going on in the background being explained via a show to explain more of what is going on. It is a different way to tell a story that is for sure. Which not everyone is going to like. Not everyone plays video games for their stories... these are the people that stick with FPS games.

Played this game and it was disappointing compared to Alan Wake. The story was ok but rarely pulled me in. Combat is the weakest part of it because it's simply rinse and repeat with samey, boring level design. End boss fight was meh at best.

The TV show is a neat concept but I don't see this becoming a major trend. Had they limited the video segments to around 5-10 minutes it would have been more tolerable.

Performance on the Steam version is decent but there are frame drops in certain areas. Even on high settings there are blurry and low res textures on some objects. FOV is a bit too narrow for my tastes and sadly there's no fix for it.

Note to Remedy: tell Microsoft to take a hike and find a game publisher that cares about PC gaming.

Back