Quality of Dell PSU

Once again, you're just adding useless garbage information. You keep harping on regular low-grade power supplies, we're talking about a mid-high grade power supply, that would work for OP if it wasn't for the proprietary connections.

Plus, it hurts my eyes to read your comments...

+1 on this.

guys my wife works in a school where the 620 series dell units are and your fingers will be sore from changing out these garbage units...im not saying the xps series units are not ok but generally the run of the mill dell desktop series have crap for power supplies...now this is in a school where dell comes out and advises what series to run for what the students need are..they know they will be 24/7 units and you would think they would put decent power supplies in but they dont..cheapest things available at the time...my wife has changed countless p/supply motherboard combos due to the power supply failing and in many cases taking out the board with it...the supplies smell like a campfire when you take them out...personally i would never buy a premade computer unless i specified what components i wanted installed....these are my experiences with dell products....my opinion isnt to great on dell's stuff..
dont get me wrong gateway,compac,hp are farther down the list from dell but imo if i was given a dell id sell it and use the money to build a much better system than what dell builds...
Most component failures in OEM machines are a result of poor cooling design and insufficient maintenance. It is not because of the quality of the components. If you added a fan or two to those Dell machines and cleaned out the dust from inside them regularly, I guarantee you that they would have a significantly longer lifespan. I can also tell you that if you treated your own PC the way those machines were treated, it would probably suffer the same fate.

Alex is clearly a TROLL, no OEM is going to use more than what is required to power said system. Dell uses mostly Delta and Hipro OEM's, which are some of the best
despite the rambling of Alex without merit. I Work for a smaller Corporation that deploys 500-700 Dell Workstations, and several closets of servers, I can tell you from personal
experience they are very reliable in direct comparison to some of the competition. Him calling a PCB "Plastic orange board" should tell you the extent of his Technical Knowledge
and his know-how of semiconductors/circuit design.

Last edited:
Regardless of how well the PSU is built, it's still a used unit and PSUs no matter how well they are built will last a lifetime. Spend the money on a new unit with a warranty.

Well when Dell advise you to upgrade your 300w psu doing a cpu upgrade to a Q6600 says much about the quality in it.

His friend is charging him $15 for it. That's not the same thing as buying a $15 PSU at retail. A 750W XPS PSU is a very good unit.

yes the Thermaltake Tr2 series are also good psus on paper. Please show me a review showing that's a good psu.
I would not trust a mate charging me for something he's got extra supply of. Then to throw a 15usd bait on top of it. What's he going to do with that 15usd that gets his value back. that's not even enough for 10 min at the crack den

Well when Dell advise you to upgrade your 300w psu doing a cpu upgrade to a Q6600 says much about the quality in it.
CYA. If you don't know what that means, look it up.
yes the Thermaltake Tr2 series are also good psus on paper. Please show me a review showing that's a good psu.
I would not trust a mate charging me for something he's got extra supply of. Then to throw a 15usd bait on top of it. What's he going to do with that 15usd that gets his value back. that's not even enough for 10 min at the crack den
The TR2 PSUs are not good on paper. And if you don't trust your friends, you need to find new ones. He's asking for $15 because he's doing the OP a favour, not because he's trying to make a bunch of money off of this.

I don't know what your expecting from a company that mass produces a product for the
average consumer, not the enthusiast. Dell builds a configuration and calculates the power
draw, and pairs the appropriate power supply for the given build. They don't care about
your upgrade path as 99% of people that buy dell pc's will never upgrade major components
before replacing the whole machine. If you're concerned with upgrade-ability your looking in
the wrong place, They market pc's mostly to the average consumer, not to most people that
frequent this forum.

Dell telling you that you need more power when you replace a major component not in
their options is a great thing, at least they give you the heads up. I'd rather know that
the psu isn't adequate, and upgrade it, before risking other components.

I used to do lots of replacement part repairs for the Government as a contractor. Most of the failed Dell PSU's I encountered was from crappy big building power surges or massive amounts of dust. I even found a frenchfry stuck in the cooling vent of a PSU. Didnt effect cooling but how the hell did a French Fry get there?

He's doing him a favor because, you know, he's a friend. I charge my friends next to nothing for my computer stuff all the time, just to cover a bit of the cost. I feel like you must have trust issues with your friends... I think it may be time to figure that shit out cause I know I trust my buddies pretty much with everything I own.

And, as has been mentioned, the TR2 series is definitely not good on paper.

Marketing can make anything look good on paper. That's why you don't look at marketing, you look at the actual system components used.

And +1 to getting new friends, you have serious issues with your friends if you can't trust them.

+1 also to most people not knowing how to take care of their systems. I tell my 13 year old sister repeatedly to occasionally clean out the filters on her P180 case (room computer is used in gets dusty quick). Come back after 3 months, it's a total nightmare. I doubt any air was moving through those filters.

Also, just to add, I had to look up what CYA and PEBKAC meant. Just like I had no idea what RTFM meant when MSI forums sent out that massive spam e-mail for April Fools Day (and it wasn't even on April Fools Day, it was a few days early).

Got a Dell XPS 600 here, still going strong with original components after 5 years. The PSU is a 650W custom job which I can't upgrade and would probably have difficulty replacing, but since I'm doing a new build from scratch in a few days it doesn't bother me :)

Dell Optiplexs we use at work are a different matter. Not built to last would be a generous assessment.

Edit: The XPS will be gifted to a family member and will likely last a few more years judging by previous form!

Last edited:
I have an optiplex 780.
It came with a 'high efficiency 80+ bronze' 600W psu.
I replaced it the day the machine came with a 450W inwin psu because after putting in extra hdd's, it would not post.

My personal experience with Dell PSU's has always been one of hate. No love/hate. Just hate. One of my first memories of dell psu's is plugging one into my ECS K7S5A and having it die because dell was not using atx standard at that time, even though they used exact atx conenctors.

Dell PSU's are not that good. They go bad all the time. I just recently replaced 3 Dell PSUs from systems ranging in age from 2 to 6 years. Fortunately, the PSUs didn't take the rest of the system out at the same time they kicked the bucket. I'd seriously consider avoiding the Dell PSU regardless of manufacture. Get an Antec Earthwatts 380D. Get any reputable PSU. Dude, just don't put a Dell in there.

my wife works for orange co schools as a tech support person and they use all dell computers..the failure rate on dell power supplies is high..they weigh nothing and seem to be a cheap units..these are not real old units either...she troubleshoots ones out of warranty and she replaces alot of them compared to motherboard failures...
its funny that when dell comes out they automatically replace p/supply and motherboard and cpu.
soon as they see what looks like p/supply the motherboard and cpu go ...nice way to trouble shoot ,just replace everything..if i did it like that my boss would show me the door...
dell is probubly the best pre-made but they still suck....general public has no clue what goes into a tower....glad i know, i build my own....

I call bullshit, why would they replace the processor? That's one of the last things to fail.

Dell PSU's are not that good. They go bad all the time. I just recently replaced 3 Dell PSUs from systems ranging in age from 2 to 6 years. Fortunately, the PSUs didn't take the rest of the system out at the same time they kicked the bucket. I'd seriously consider avoiding the Dell PSU regardless of manufacture. Get an Antec Earthwatts 380D. Get any reputable PSU. Dude, just don't put a Dell in there.

that kind of shows their quality, bad PSU take systems with them when they die, good PSU's dont.

Again,i would love to know where these computers were kept, temperature, how dirty, any added parts?\

i have had my share of dells from cheap $300 systems to $1000 rigs pass through our office, running 24/7 and i have yet to have any die, not to mention them being shipped from dell.com down to costa rica in central america.,

We've been a Dell shop since about 1993 now. The quality of their power supplies has varied greatly over the years, depending on the model and spec.

Old Dimension models (XPS R through the 4550) were pretty reliable.
I've never found an OptiPlex power supply that I've liked. Even the fans in them were cheap and prone to rattle.
Newer Dimension models (XPS excluded) tended to be pretty awful as well. The ones used in the Dimension 2300/2350/2400/4600 were simply some of the worst units out there, down there with the Bestecs that HP loved to shovel in their cheap machines. Not sure who built them anymore, but they weren't good!
Newer XPS models along with the Precisions that I've been buying since about 2003 have nearly always been very good-quality Delta and Hipro units; this has been pointed out already. I haven't seen as many of the "home" models in the past 6 or 7 years, but on their workstations, the power supplies are extremely reliable.

And some of my rigs work in very hostile, machine-shop type environments that kill cheap PCs with a quickness. An old Precision will chug away for years in that condition.

Just a bit of first-hand experience to add to the discussion... :)

Back