Quakecon2k6, Aug 3-6, Dallas TX

[RCKY] Thor

2[H]4U
Quakecon has finally been announced!

We know you all have been waiting to find out about QuakeCon 2006, and we want to thank you for your patience. We’ve had some unexpected issues locking in the dates and location, but don’t worry, we’re still bringing you another kick-ass QuakeCon event, and it’s already right around the corner - August 3 – 6 in Dallas, TX at the Hilton Anatole Hotel in their Trinity Exhibition Center.

With about 1,800 BYOC spots, QuakeCon 2006 will be a bit more exclusive than it has been the last couple of years, but we hope people will enjoy the more personal touch this year. QuakeCon 2006 will of course include all the great activities that it’s known for, including high-stakes tournaments, workshops, exhibitors, the BYOC Area, parties, and the public’s first chance to play Enemy Territory: Quake Wars.

www.quakecon.org

This makes me happy in the pants. But I miss the Gaylord being 15mins away.. this one is like 40mins :(

05's I saw a few people usin' Dolleys(sp?) wheelin' around their stuff. Thinking I might do that. 21" CRT up stairs is definetly a nono.

I'm rather torn....

I want to go...but given the very short notice...I dunno.

I'll be trying, at the very least. I can always give up my spot if needbe...

Sadly, I think I'll be stuck on my T43 with a paltry x300...I'm not ready to buy the gaming laptop I'd wanted to....damned Meroms are just too tempting

This will be my second quakecon, my first was last year's 10th anniversary quakecon (kickass!)

I too can't wait for the [H] workshop!!

The bigger question that needs to be asked is ...will ETQW be released on the same weekend or a public release mp demo? :eek:

They said i will be publically playable there. Which means that it will most likely be running on a set of PCs like quake 4 was last year.

Rofl-Mic-Lofl said:
This makes me happy in the pants. But I miss the Gaylord being 15mins away.. this one is like 40mins :(

lol, last year the gaylord was 40min away from me. now the anatole is 10min away :D

This will be my third Quakecon and it has become somewhat of a tradition now to go. Oh and you guys complaining about having to drive 40 minutes make me sick!!! Just kidding. Last year I drove from Wisconsin to get their and this year I will be flying in from Las Vegas.

Sheese, it use to be 20min away now its like 40min. And dont people get shot in dallas? ;o)

me <--never been to quakecon

I got #333!! YAY!! :) and my 3rd QuakeCon..
I also fell victim to the initial crash.. that put me kinda far behind.. i had been refreshing the page every second for like 5 minutes.. and as soon as I tryed to register, it crashed..

Its gonna go FAST.. like a Woot bag of crap..
and I signed up the second the registration page popped up..
and yes.. people get shot in Dallas..

-Evil Juggalo

I got 373 (at 9:02 PM) because the first time I hit the submit I got a database error and had to re-submit.

You registered for QuakeCon on June 28, 2006, 9:00 pm. You were # 98 to sign up for QuakeCon!

W00t!!

Wow it was in a state of crash, but

You registered for QuakeCon on June 28, 2006, 9:03 pm. You were # 542 to sign up for QuakeCon!

Good times, it will be my 7th.

#105 here. 9:01. I skipped over anything that wasn't starred. I was REALLY sacried that I wouldn't get a spot ;)

Oompa said:
#105 here. 9:01. I skipped over anything that wasn't starred. I was REALLY sacried that I wouldn't get a spot ;)

i was more afraid the servers would crash before i could get in. :p

Gonna be my first one I've missed in 4 years. Oh well. WSOP here I come instead.

My fiance's signed up as 47, and I'm as 137. Figures...help her out and I'm signed up later. (Plus a snafu on their end...server balked when I tried ot register).

At any rate...if anyone has a room...A friend and I are in need of it. (Fiance's not going...but we had to register an account for a friend that had to work during sign up)...same goes from a ride for 2 big guys with laptops from central Illinois. (I have a GPS for hte laptop...made driving down last year soooo easy)

cant wait to see the server stats tomorrow.. we crushed it in under 5 minutes :)

*Pokes server with stick*
Yep.. its dead....

-Evil Juggalo

I was afk for the first 40minutes that it was open, and now I can't even load the page! gnaaaaaa.

I was #3275 and a BYOC spot was reserved for me. So I guess most of the registered aren't bringing a PC.

Rofl-Mic-Lofl said:
I was #3275 and a BYOC spot was reserved for me. So I guess most of the registered aren't bringing a PC.
i would wait to make sure.....kinda hard to belive you have a byoc spot when you are #3275

Jesus that's insane. Just hope that the bunch of people that got #0 don't displace your spot or something.

God_Of_Death said:
i would wait to make sure.....kinda hard to belive you have a byoc spot when you are #3275

A few of my other friends do too. Alot of people come just for the workshops and the shennanigans going on. Hell, I only played a few hours of games the whole weekend last year.

It doesn't matter if you are 1 or 1000 away from a guaranteed spot. You all end up in the same line at quakecon anyways which is on a first come first served basis. This line starts moving after all the guaranteed registrants are in (usually around noon).

but if you're 1 away and someone gives up their spot, then you are have a spot for sure ;).

As of 230 EDT, there are still BYOC spots, database has been cleared of anamolies, so everyone recheck your status.

You registered for QuakeCon on June 28, 2006, 9:00 pm. You were # 24 to sign up for QuakeCon!

I signed up last night and was put on the waiting list as #295. Checked my E-mail this morning and suprise I'm in!

You are currently #295 on the waiting list for a BYOC spot. Don't give up! Chances are you will move up the list as people desist.

THEN

- You may bring a computer. A spot was reserved for you.

Weee :D

Ya, I'm gonna be sleeping at my desk again like last year apparently :(. Give my friends a box of doughnuts to let me take a nap/shower in the morning or something.

That reminds me.. Anyone here gettin a Room.. id gladly pay you to let me get in a shower every morning.. i slept at my desk and in my car last year.. it was fun, me and my friend Doug sat on my tailgate and drank beer cause i was parked int eh first row inside the parking garage at the bottom of the escalator :)

Good Times, Good Times.. Definantly need to show some [H] love this year.. do they sell OCP shirts?

-Evil Juggalo

There are plenty of hotels within walking distance if you can't get a room at the Hilton. Sleeping in your car is not recommended at all due to the Texas heat, and sleeping in the BYOC is prohibited by the event, and the hotel. Violates vagrancy and fire code laws, and the hotel can have you thrown out for it. Check the qcon forums for the list of hotels in the area.

Back