QuakeCon 2010 Pack Includes 27 Games

There's a funny double standard that exists on [H] that I've noticed over the years. On the one hand you got threads similar to this that pop up, where the vast majority of people cheer for the pirates (another that comes to mind is the relatively recent thread about TPB servers going down then popping right back up), then you also have threads like this, one of the largest threads in the Hot Deals -> Free Stuff section.

But then on the other hand when someone in the General Gaming section mentions game torrents, piracy, or slips up in some way they get roasted like a Thanksgiving turkey.

Just something random I've noticed. :)

^^^

That was supposed to be in http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1539146

It's to bad this pack isn't available at a retailer or in cd/dvd form. I would purchase it; however, I won't use steam so it looks like I can't partake in the old game fun. Oh well, too bad.

It's to bad this pack isn't available at a retailer or in cd/dvd form. I would purchase it; however, I won't use steam so it looks like I can't partake in the old game fun. Oh well, too bad.

If you built a time machine and fitted a floppy drive you could!

You can get all the quake games in a pack (just not 4) off amazon used for 19$

Some for DOOM (doesnt have 3 however) 34$ used.

Then just find doom3.

But seriously theres nothing wrong with steam.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
All works eh? I'm totally buying it. Wont install all of it, but it will be nice to have in my games-i-can-play archive. And then i can mod the living crap out of oblivion and fallout :D

There's a funny double standard that exists on [H] that I've noticed over the years. On the one hand you got threads similar to this that pop up, where the vast majority of people cheer for the pirates (another that comes to mind is the relatively recent thread about TPB servers going down then popping right back up), then you also have threads like this, one of the largest threads in the Hot Deals -> Free Stuff section.

But then on the other hand when someone in the General Gaming section mentions game torrents, piracy, or slips up in some way they get roasted like a Thanksgiving turkey.

Just something random I've noticed. :)

I think that's because many of us have been around since the "early" days of shareware where it was socially acceptable to share and copy software. Games used to even be encouraged to share for LAN games and stuff. Spawn copies were popular and encouraged. Shareware is mostly dead now. It's all retail these days. Other places it's full of noobs who just don't know what it was like in the earlier PC days.

I think that's because many of us have been around since the "early" days of shareware where it was socially acceptable to share and copy software. Games used to even be encouraged to share for LAN games and stuff. Spawn copies were popular and encouraged. Shareware is mostly dead now. It's all retail these days. Other places it's full of noobs who just don't know what it was like in the earlier PC days.

I do agree with you on this. I had a copy of DOOM ep1 from a buddy of mine in middle school - it was perfectly acceptable because it wasn't the entire game and it was a second hand marketing tool; you had to call and/or order the rest of the game. Now there is too much money invested in these games for this same practice.

Anyways, I own the majority of id software catalog for archival puposes, but this does sound fun :)

If you built a time machine and fitted a floppy drive you could!

You can get all the quake games in a pack (just not 4) off amazon used for 19$

Some for DOOM (doesnt have 3 however) 34$ used.

Then just find doom3.

But seriously theres nothing wrong with steam.

DRM can suck it. That includes Steam. It's DRM and I'm with the other guy.

Most old games actually run fine on Win7 / Vista 64. Hell, even Heroes of Might and Magic 3 installs and plays fine - it's a win95 era game. The installer thinks I don't have enough resources - it's a bit confused by the huge RAM and processor numbers - but it runs fine. I did crash it once while trying to play it on my HP TX2 touchscreen...but hey...that's a bit to be expected.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
DRM can suck it. That includes Steam. It's DRM and I'm with the other guy.

Most old games actually run fine on Win7 / Vista 64. Hell, even Heroes of Might and Magic 3 installs and plays fine - it's a win95 era game. The installer thinks I don't have enough resources - it's a bit confused by the huge RAM and processor numbers - but it runs fine. I did crash it once while trying to play it on my HP TX2 touchscreen...but hey...that's a bit to be expected.

It is DRM but they are no ubisoft. Which is a totaly dofferent beast. The total DRM for steam games is usually download the game and play it. You can even play on more than one computer (I do often when friends are using the other computers) by going into offline mode, and I can still play all the games. I'd hardly call that restrictive DRM. Plus most the time it's cheaper than DVD copies and I can't lose the disk/key as I have done with so many games in the past.
The other plus is that these older games usually come with integrated dosbox, which you are unlikely to find on a disk version. The bigges pain in the ass i've has with steam is it trying to download HL2. Who is the other guy?

Today it's a Doom sale. 66% off all DOOM games, and a doom collection (all the dooms) for $13.59

Individualy.
DOOM 3 $6.79
DOOM 3 ROE $6.79
DOOM $3.39
DOOM 2 $3.39
Final DOOM $3.39
Master levels for doom $3.39

Didn't they sell this stuff already in the pack???

i generally agree with this but q3a is pretty much timeless ala counterstrike except it didnt get as much a following outside of the pro/highly competitive gamers to keep it going as long

i still think it holds the crown as the standard for arena deathmatch games

Yes, Q3A is awesome (as is cs). I usually play cs at least once a week, but I hadn't played Q3A in awhile. I installed it the other day and MAN I SUCK compared to about 8 years ago :(

Damnit I can't work out the next numeber in the sequence if it is a sequence...

I was hoping to do something like with the EA sales and peek ahead at what was to come. So I loked at the URLs of the two top pictures.

http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/clusters/frontpage/cbdb3a32/promo_image_english.jpg
And
http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/clusters/frontpage/40944484/promo_image_english.jpg

The only difference is the folder. "cbdb3a32" and "40944484" both being 8 digit codes. I thought they were hexidecimal so that would be.
3420142130 (a)
and
1083458692 (b)

Added the numbers, didn't work in decimal and hex.
a/b = long ass number.
Gah need to know!

Yes, Q3A is awesome (as is cs). I usually play cs at least once a week, but I hadn't played Q3A in awhile. I installed it the other day and MAN I SUCK compared to about 8 years ago :(

I played some Q2 CTF a year or two back...and it was still very fun. It made me miss old-school FPS multiplayer.

I Hope this pack lasts until monday. :(
I think the quakecon pack will, each of the others is just a 1 day thing. Today its doom pack, yesterday was oblivion sales.

Today it's a Doom sale. 66% off all DOOM games, and a doom collection (all the dooms) for $13.59

Individualy.
DOOM 3 $6.79
DOOM 3 ROE $6.79
DOOM $3.39
DOOM 2 $3.39
Final DOOM $3.39
Master levels for doom $3.39

Didn't they sell this stuff already in the pack???
In the quakecon pack yeah, now they are splitting out the doom stuff in case people aren't interested in the rest of the quakecon pack.

Spawn copies were popular and encouraged. Shareware is mostly dead now. It's all retail these days.
Spawn copies used to be officially endorsed. Remember warcraft and starcraft? How it would require 1 cd among 3 players in multiplayer starcraft? Something like that? Now with the starcraft blizzard is cracking down, 1 account with $60 ver of sc2 per player.

As for shareware, its mutated. Most places have trial versions that last 30 days or some such. Then you pay for them to unlock them. Even MS has trial versions of things like office or windows.

Back