Quake 4 MP - Your wishes

Jaxor

n00b
I really hope Quake 4 multiplayer follows where Quake 3 left off. I'm all for a great single player story, but if Raven nails the MP, man it will be awesome. Sadly though, Raven isn't well known for great MP code. But with id at the helm, I'm sure they'll help Raven fix whatever problems they run into. What do you want MP to include?

1. bunny hopping with knives makes you run faster.

2. laser guided multi rocket launching grenade bombs that don't kill you in one shot (i was wearing armor! that nuclear device didn't hurt me 100%!)

3. the ability to import my custom tubgirl model, and my goatscx custom sprays.

...wait, what is this thread about?

oh wait! i remember!

i want an announcer to yell at me for everything i do!

HUMILIATION! RAMPAGE! RAWRAWR DAMAGE!

I miss the old days of CS where I could have my knife out and bunny hop thru the level :( thats how I got my nick name Pink Bunny. Sigh I miss the days.

Anyway, I am all for single player. But Quake 4 should have a death match single player too. Thats what I want to see. sorta like 2 games in one.

for it not to suck. and maybe be free cuz its gonna be no different than doom3 with different guns

If Raven delivers what they have said, ie Q3 mp + Q2 sp + D3 gfx, the game should be a winner.

But I'm hoping that it at least is better than Painkiller, because I'm tired of having a terrible excuse for a DM game being "the game" to play for competition. And even if Q4 doesn't have Q3-like mp, I'm sure the guys that made OSP and CPMA could shape it up pretty easily :D

astern said:
If Raven delivers what they have said, ie Q3 mp + Q2 sp + D3 gfx, the game should be a winner.

But I'm hoping that it at least is better than Painkiller, because I'm tired of having a 2-bit excuse for a DM game being "the game" to play for competition. And even if Q4 doesn't have Q3-like mp, I'm sure the guys that made OSP and CPMA could shape it up pretty easily :D
thats a good point, loved those mods.

I hope they build-in a load of "mods". Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, CTF, Assault, Domination, Double-domination, Freeze tag, Railgun-only (heck, any-specific-weapon only)...everything they can think of. Make the multiplayer varied.

it if doesn't have the 'right feel' people won't like it.. Think about how important the feel of how your player moves in the game world, in UT2k3/4 people complained how slow they moved, in Pariah people complain it feels too 'floaty'.. In Q3 you actually have to practice the precise movement of your char, in strafing and flicking from side to side to move as fast as possible, and people actually like this! heh, I guess because it really does take a lot of skill to pull this off perfectly. So as long as they nail down player movement and throw a bone to the trick jumpers out there, people will be happy.

I thought raven did a great job with the Soldier of Fortune 2 MP code. It was using the Quake3 engine too.

Rocket jumping, multi rocket jumping, strafe jumping, and the general solid feel of control and mobility that Quake 3 had.

Fricken Sharks with Fricken Lazers attacked to their heads.

And no ill-tempered sea bass, thats just lame.

Two handed head slamming BUZZ SAW HUMILIATION! Whew, got a little carried away. No buzz saws these days. Miss that part of Q3. Altho the CHAIN SAW does come close, but that guy screaming HUMILIATION is just too cool. :cool:

The RAIL GUN to be included is what I"d like. Also a built in grapple that is highly modifiable would be cool. Also some Q2 classic maps redone would be awesome also. Those maps are like jazz standards.

USMC2Hard4U said:
I miss the old days of CS where I could have my knife out and bunny hop thru the level :( thats how I got my nick name Pink Bunny. Sigh I miss the days.

Anyway, I am all for single player. But Quake 4 should have a death match single player too. Thats what I want to see. sorta like 2 games in one.

I hated the bunnyhopping crap. I just can't get into a game where a bunch of people are hopping around with knives in there hands.

It's just ghey.

How about a "hand-to-hand" mod...all handheld weapons. Chainsaw, sword, hatchet, axe, knife, pike...sledgehammer. Picture 16 people in a server trying to slash each other to ribbons...heh.

If Quake 4 has the same shitty netcode as Doom 3 it will definately fail.

Also don't launch it with a ridiculous 4 player limit and no dedicated server option

Need really good flexibility for games like CTF, etc.

Real players team vs comp teams

Players vs Players

and other fun team-based game beside CTF (not just kill each other)

:)

I'm the Dude said:
Jesus wasn't about physical power though, so bad analogy. /philosophical mode

Well its not like video cards have physical power either ? they dont beat the graphics of doom 3 or half-life 2 into submission, then pipe them into your monitor.

Its more like a video cards uses tricks and special effects to render frames onto your monitor. It interprets the raw data from the game and displays it on the monitor for all to behold.

So I think it is a good analogy.

derrickperry said:
for LMCTF to be a mod for q4.

offhand hook>*
AHMEN!! loved the different gameplay options but slow things down a tad where more skill is needed. splash damage needs to be addressed as well...

DO NOT be another doom 3 or quit coding now!

Better maps than Q3. They all seemed too small.
Slightly less twitchy movement.
Better/brighter lighting than D3. I don't wanna need a flashlight in MP.

u_95244

C4rniV0r said:
If Quake 4 has the same shitty netcode as Doom 3 it will definately fail.

Also don't launch it with a ridiculous 4 player limit and no dedicated server option

I think there might be some dedicated servers out there now because I played recently with superb performance in multiplayer recently. I think it's up to more than 4 people also, although that could be a mod I guess. I saw ROE servers with 6 or 8 peeps.

bonkrowave said:
Well its not like video cards have physical power either ? they dont beat the graphics of doom 3 or half-life 2 into submission, then pipe them into your monitor.

Its more like a video cards uses tricks and special effects to render frames onto your monitor. It interprets the raw data from the game and displays it on the monitor for all to behold.

So I think it is a good analogy.

yeah but my vid card would destroy the Roman soldiers and get away, never to be cruxified. Jesus?

I'm the Dude said:
yeah but my vid card would destroy the Roman soldiers and get away, never to be cruxified. Jesus?

C'mon man, give Jesus a break. A tough stigmata injury will slow anyone down, even the Son of God.

I would almost bet my left nut this game is gonna be great. Raven does a GREAT job at making games. SOF1....SOF2....Elite Force 1 & 2.

game needs to be as fast paced as q3, while looking as good as d3. and you need to be able to modify the mp options just as much as you could it q3. hl2 looked promising, but i stopped playing when i got tired of waiting to be "allowed" to go into the consoler and make my server grav gun only....melee only owns, especially when you can pick shit up and throw it. mods are qhat made q3 popular, and games nowadays have crappy support for them. as far as i say, if q4 supports the modding community like q3, it will be a success.

"Directional Gibs"

you know, like when you shoot someone with a rocket and their body parts go flying in the direction of the splash damage. sometimes in CTF i would be swimming up a ladder and gibs would flying over me, cause somebody up top just got blown.

yeah... that was in Quake 2.
Quake 4 needs that. That was fun.

Quake 3 sucks.

Quake 2 was the shit and made the game what it is today.

I want to CTF back full throttle

Above all of my requests below, I have but one- KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid. Q2 CTF was simple, fun, and easy to pickup, do not complicate Q4 CTF or it will fail. Remember, the key point here is game play, which is what made Q2 CTF.

#1, Grappling hook, this is a MUST for Q4 CTF to survive, no questions asked. It would be nice to have just like the original, the grapple was a gun, had to switch to it. Make it a server option to use the hands free so Expert CTF players are also satisfied.

#2, Runes, all 4 runes must be present, no more, no less. Do not let them expire like in Q3, this increases aggressive game play. Amplifier: does 4x damage, Accel: run/shoot faster, Shield: deflect gunshots and some splash damage, Regeneration: Health and armor rejuvenates at slow rate. Those 4 need to be in there, and spawn at spawn points just like q2.

#3, Water, do not let us see in the water. Why? Flag carriers can escape that way, also, creates better game play when you can't see who you’re shooting at

#4, Jumping, one of the most important parts. When strafing left and right and jumping, you would move faster through the level. Also, combine this with the grapple and you move even faster. Flag carriers got real good at this, 'tweaked' their skills so to say, made the game crazy fun. Also, when jumping on ramps, pressing the jump button a lot would propel you faster. This brings up the point of rocket speeds, you could actually out-travel a rocket, that needs to be sped up.

#5, Movement, make the game move just a tad, a very small tad, faster than Q2. After that, slow the rocket launcher ROF down just a tad compared to Q3. There is a medium between Q2 and Q3, that is where the bliss will be for Q4 CTF.

#6, Rail gun, don't make it look like colorful, revert back to the good ole says, white smoke center, blue spirals on the outside.

#7, Chain gun, where is it? Bring it back! Rotary, slow spin up time, but when it goes, it shreds.

#8, Quad Damage, respawn just like in Q2, not at random, but by a set amount, this creates great strategic game play for flag carriers and hunters. Also combined with Amplifier rune, 8x damage is acquired.

#9, Power Shield, bring this back and make it a little bit stronger. If I have to go find power cells, I’d like it to help me out a bit more.

#10, Blaster gun, bring it back! This POS gun was a glorified flare gun, yet it lit dark hallways, and it was fun to get free frags.

#11, the maps! Have Team 3 re-do all the maps for Q4, essentially keeping them the same, except maybe lighting and details.

#12, BRING BACK Cacophony . Publius . Myrkul . asylum - Simply the best map ever made for Q2 CTF.

L-fire, I hope someone on your team reads this and can save Q4!

-Steve

Back