Quake 3

[F8]

Gawd
Anyone still playing Quake 3? Any interesting mods? I always liked instagib with railgun. I was just talking to my cousin last night about how I miss games where there weren't all these killstreak perks and stupid shit where some dumbass can die and drop a nade and kill you, dogs and what not. I used to play the shit out of Q3, and then COD and CODUO, and then COD2, but once they added all the perks and stuff they changed things too much. Rifles only 4v4 CTF was a blast in COD2.

I have ioquake 3 w/ Team Arena plus a high res pack installed. I haven't played it much but it does bring back good times. I'm wondering if I can find the subdivisions tweak to make the game look a lot better.

Q3 is still one of my top 5 games of all time. I played the hell out of it back in 2000 at LAN parties. We played just about every game mode and mod there was for it. Free for all and CTF with instagib rail guns were my favorite modes. Freeze tag and Catch the Chicken were great for some goofy fun. The Urban Terror mod was really neat, too. I ended up buying Q3 on Steam last year since I wanted to play it some more and had tossed out my original disc some years before.

Quake three arena On the computer was the first FPS I played and I was hooked. I played a game similar (not sure if it was quake) on the xbox back when it was new, that game was a blast too.

Quake three arena On the computer was the first FPS I played and I was hooked. I played a game similar (not sure if it was quake) on the xbox back when it was new, that game was a blast too.

This game?

_-Unreal-Championship-Xbox-_.jpg

[F8];1038082081 said:
Anyone still playing Quake 3? Any interesting mods? I always liked instagib with railgun. I was just talking to my cousin last night about how I miss games where there weren't all these killstreak perks and stupid shit where some dumbass can die and drop a nade and kill you, dogs and what not. I used to play the shit out of Q3, and then COD and CODUO, and then COD2, but once they added all the perks and stuff they changed things too much. Rifles only 4v4 CTF was a blast in COD2.

Quake Live is dead in North America, don't bother. A lot of people still play quake 3, primarily on CROMCTF. They have a bunch of q3 servers that are very active.

www.cromctf.com

Quake Live isn't dead. Still a pretty dedicated (if small) group of players. I can usually find populated CTF servers, and I'm sure DM and TDM are still alive as well. Its definitely worth it forthe OP to check it out.

Just hope Carmack and crew will keep it going, id is definitely not making any profit from it.

[F8];1038082081 said:
Rifles only 4v4 CTF was a blast in COD2.
:D Hell yes, COD2 rifles only was the best game/game mode I've ever played. I probably racked up close to 2000hrs playing COD2 rifles only servers. Was a simple straight up shooter. Mosin Nagant FTW!!!

Also EAX3 directional sound was incredible in that game.

I've been playing quake live for about a month now.

its very, very dead.

I've never seen more than 3 populated servers at once, and at any one time, I always end up playing with the same people who have clearly been playing this game their entire lives, and i get slaughtered.

Im goign to try Q3 now, i own it on steam and have been wanting to use it instead of Quake Live.

The last time I played Quake Live was in the middle of Quakecon last year, and the servers were absolutely packed. It's pretty much the only time of the year I bother with it.

Man, I'm craving some good ol' twitch shooter action, I'm getting tired of these slower-paced modern warfare themed games.

Just hope Carmack and crew will keep it going, id is definitely not making any profit from it.
If I recall, they're breaking even on it and it's probably almost zero-maintenance at this point. I imagine they'll keep the lights on until it no longer covers its own expenses.

QL is infested with cheaters its pretty disgusting. The game has absolutely no anti-cheat system.

can someone enlighten me on whether or not i can use my old quake3 cd for both me and my buddy on LAN against bots?

DeFrag? (if you like that kind of thing. p.s. mute the music and skip the first minute of OMG CeeGees!!!)

fuckin cool.

Can anyone tell me how these people gain so much momentum with jumping?

There's even a quakelive tutorial where you have to jump these certain distances and i can never to it.

fuckin cool.

Can anyone tell me how these people gain so much momentum with jumping?

There's even a quakelive tutorial where you have to jump these certain distances and i can never to it.

It's a pretty simple technique due to the not quite right physics the ID tech engine uses. It's a combination of srafing jumping and mouse movements and it constantly accelerates you. It's how people get fast speedruns and stuff (along with rocket jumps and plasma climbs). I'm reeealy bad at explaining how to do the jumping thing, so ill leave it to someone else (or read this), but it works in normal quake 3 too! :D

For defrag theres a training HUD (CGazHUD) that shows you the points you should be hitting with the mouse movements. It's like any technique, you have to practice to get it!

Man, I'm craving some good ol' twitch shooter action, I'm getting tired of these slower-paced modern warfare themed games.

Have you checked out Tribes: Ascend? It's in beta but is going to be free to play with a fair micro-transaction system.

You can get a free beta key for liking their face book. Extremely fast paced twitch fps.

I'm reeealy bad at explaining how to do the jumping thing, so ill leave it to someone else (or read this), but it works in normal quake 3 too! :D
Works exactly the same way in Quake 2, Doom 3, Quake 4, and even Rage, though Rage struggles a bit with the queuing of successive jump presses. It's still a crazy concept that you can more than double your speed in two jumps by simply looking in the right directions.

Circle jumps (initial jumps) work in even more games, notably almost all of the goldsrc and Source titles.

Works exactly the same way in Quake 2, Doom 3, Quake 4, and even Rage, though Rage struggles a bit with the queuing of successive jump presses. It's still a crazy concept that you can more than double your speed in two jumps by simply looking in the right directions.

Circle jumps (initial jumps) work in even more games, notably almost all of the goldsrc and Source titles.

First thing I tried in RAGE! :D Though it doesn't really help so much in that game as theres no vs and the ai don't seem to have and problems hitting faster moving targets!

WTB the days when you could queue up AI opponents and actually modify their abilities yourself by editing their values in their config files :D

Quakelive is not dead at all in north america, I play it all the time everyday usually just FFA and Duel. Im here in the west coast in cali so theres lots of players here in west coast connecting to san fran, La, seattle servers all day. Maybe someone here my know me my name in quakelive is "pctek".

I been hooked and playing quake 3 since 1999 when the test demo came out when most of us used dial up to get online lol. My OG name use to be before quakelive " killa-cali"

Good players like zero4, fatality, etc still play here in west coast all day, so its not dead.

Actually I thought quake3 arena was dead, I thought quakelive is where its at, so is there still palyers and servers with quake3 arena cause i still have my disk? If so what mods and patch I need and what server browser I use to play it?

Actually I thought quake3 arena was dead, I thought quakelive is where its at, so is there still palyers and servers with quake3 arena cause i still have my disk? If so what mods and patch I need and what server browser I use to play it?

Right now this second there are 464 populated quake 3 servers. Latest patch is 1.32c. Mods vary to the server as per usual! etc.

Q3A is probably the best game of all time - I'd use it to make me better (temporarily) at other games.

Run around with the railgun for an hour and go play anything else afterwards. It's like listening to mozart - you're smarter for a little while ;)

Q3A is probably the best game of all time - I'd use it to make me better (temporarily) at other games.

Run around with the railgun for an hour and go play anything else afterwards. It's like listening to mozart - you're smarter for a little while ;)

i agree! It make you way better at other games, makes you think and react, plus you get to choose your own trickery! It all comes down to the player and their skills... i can't think of a more balanced game.

Within minutes you pretty much know how good you are compared to people you're playing against.

I also have been playing it on and off since it launched, and from the very first time i played it to this day it is still the bar for perfect mouse movement. You can't find an FPS which has a smoother feeling mouse, so as such I always try to get my games calibrated to match what i have always used in Quake 3.

my son just bought me the quake pack on steam. Very happy to go back and play q1/2/3 again...but man i SUUUUCCCKKK in Q3/TA after not playing for so many years...lol

Back