Quake 2 Ray Traced.

Valset

Supreme [H]ardness

Posted this in another thread but didn't see it anywhere else. Sorry if its a repost. Would be pretty awesome if RTX could do this for modern games :)

Doom 2?

giphy.gif

Quake 2 modification like this is very nice but the game that I would like to see and which can be made the same way and would really show-off what path tracing could do is none other than Doom3
It have better lighting too boot and more types of textures than just one... path tracing with just normal textures doesn't really make much sense imho.

For me it is first RTX feature I ever ran on my RTX 2070 since I got it. Reminds me of 3dfx Voodoo2 days =)

BTW. Does this Quake2 port run on non-RTX hardware at all? or on Titan V?

Quake 2 modification like this is very nice but the game that I would like to see and which can be made the same way and would really show-off what path tracing could do is none other than Doom3
It have better lighting too boot and more types of textures than just one... path tracing with just normal textures doesn't really make much sense imho.

For me it is first RTX feature I ever ran on my RTX 2070 since I got it. Reminds me of 3dfx Voodoo2 days =)

BTW. Does this Quake2 port run on non-RTX hardware at all? or on Titan V?

Yeah that seems primed for a source mod to support RT considering how focused it was on lighting and shadow.

This mod have the best shadow I saw in any video game ever!
Rasterized shadows from even the best looking games look like flat carton cutouts in comparison.

Reactions: Youn
like this
That feeling when the only game my RTX card can handle with playable framerates is quake 2
lol, well atleast its one of the best games out there though ... did you try quake champions to see how it is ?

That feeling when the only game my RTX card can handle with playable framerates is quake 2
there are only two RTX enabled games and both have payable framerates. maybe not 4k but I do not remember anyone from Nvidia promising ray-tracing @4K@60fps

there are only two RTX enabled games and both have payable framerates. maybe not 4k but I do not remember anyone from Nvidia promising ray-tracing @4K@60fps

I have a RMA2070, so theres really just Quake2.

Blasphemy not knowing the different between doom2 and quake2.... KILL THE HERRITIC
Heretic would be a cool game to see this on too...

path tracing with just normal textures doesn't really make much sense imho.
Yes 100%, maybe Doom 3 is just too taxing for the time being...

Not sure if this is raytraced, but this Doom 2 PBR texture mod does make a nice difference and could maybe be a candidate for RTX:

4ObnSDA.png

IiESLga.png

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/100298-pbr-for-original-doom-textures/

Not at 4K, not at 1440p either and anything less than a 2080Ti, not even 1080p. But if you insist on being delusional, keep thinking RT playability only becomes a factor at 4K.

Not at 4K, not at 1440p either and anything less than a 2080Ti, not even 1080p. But if you insist on being delusional, keep thinking RT playability only becomes a factor at 4K.
actual benchmark results disagree with you
rtx-2080-1440.png

Besides I am not sure what you even want to communicate. Another non-RTX owner that needs to find reasons why he does not need RTX card?

actual benchmark results disagree with you
View attachment 138033

Besides I am not sure what you even want to communicate. Another non-RTX owner that needs to find reasons why he does not need RTX card?

A 60 FPS average means your lows dip well below that. Thanks for proving my point. I’d rather pay for technology when it’s usable than waste my time and money defending its uselessness. We clearly have different priorities.

A 60 FPS average means your lows dip well below that. Thanks for proving my point. I’d rather pay for technology when it’s usable than waste my time and money defending its uselessness. We clearly have different priorities.
No one say you should jump to the RTX boat right now. 1080Ti is more than enough for today and content for RTX is practically non-existent.

Current RTX iteration right now is useful mostly for people like Christoph Schied and others including game developers to be able to learn how to use ray-tracing - which is not that obvious! It will take years to figure out ways to use this technology and more so to use it really efficiently.

Besides, with VRR monitors "dip well below that" is not really such a big deal imho.
Sure, BF5 implementation of RT is pretty pathetic and doesn't show its true potential. You might as well wait for better RTX cards and actual RTX games and not loose sleep over that. And something tells me that people with pre-RTX cards who shout the loudest that RTX is bad are loosing at least a little sleep for not having newest features in their hardware ;)

I play at 3440x1440 Ultra/dxr low at 75fps on a 2080ti so I find it hilarious when people say only 1080p. Even dxr low looks vastly better than without it. I personally have trouble telling the difference between low and ultra. I only have a 60Hz monitor so in reality it’s no hit.

Still a shit genre to showcase it.

There are so many games that could benefit from it... I hope Borderlands 3 has it. BL2 put Phsyx to great use. Quake 2 is a bit dated but still cool they did it.

I play at 3440x1440 Ultra/dxr low at 75fps on a 2080ti so I find it hilarious when people say only 1080p. Even dxr low looks vastly better than without it. I personally have trouble telling the difference between low and ultra. I only have a 60Hz monitor so in reality it’s no hit.

Still a shit genre to showcase it.

There are so many games that could benefit from it... I hope Borderlands 3 has it. BL2 put Phsyx to great use. Quake 2 is a bit dated but still cool they did it.

I'm all for Ray Tracing, I just don't think the hardware is there yet. It's not unlike Tessellation when it was the cats meow. The difference here is there's a gigantic price premium to have this feature that as of today, is largely unusable.

I'm all for Ray Tracing, I just don't think the hardware is there yet. It's not unlike Tessellation when it was the cats meow. The difference here is there's a gigantic price premium to have this feature that as of today, is largely unusable.

I do have concerns $200-500 cards are piss poor at it. We're basically asking devs to develop their games normally AND doing additional work for RT for many 10-20% (?) of the cards sold. I understand RT will eventually be a lot easier than how we do it now, but right now, today, it's additional work. Enlisted is said to do global illumination with RT at 90fps 4k but I am skeptical given how little it's advertised.

As a new 2080 Ti owner I went in with the thought that I will have to sacrifice a lot of frames for raytracing use. I would not use it if I played multiplayer shooters. But I am hoping they get the patch out for Shadow of the Tomb Raider because I would be totally fine running that at lower fps on my 1440p monitor with raytracing. I already tried the Q2 mod and it was pretty cool seeing correctly working dynamic lights and shadows. I think there are a lot of slower paced games where raytracing can be used for better visuals. If I am fine playing console exclusives at 4K checkerboard and 30 fps, I'll surely be fine with raytracing 1440p at 30-60+ fps.

I feel that raytracing at this point on anything but the 2080 Ti is going to be one of those features you can try out just to see how it looks, then in the next few years you can upgrade your GPU to actually get decent framerates with it. By then raytracing implementations have surely improved a lot too. Right now it's a playground for developers to learn and that will be valuable going forward.

I see it as similar to building the next "but can it run Crysis" situation where current tech isn't powerful enough to make the most of it but that gap will disappear over time. We need more PC games that push the envelope even if it means your expensive top end card is going to be obliterated by it. Ultra graphics settings should actually be something that goes beyond what is usable on current hardware instead of just uncompressed textures with zero visual difference but a big performance hit. When was the last time we had a game that pushed current GPUs to their limit instead of performing poorly because it was a badly done, never patched console port?

When I got my 2080 Ti, I revisited a lot of slightly older games like GTA V, Witcher 3 etc and had a lot of fun admiring their visuals in glorious 4K running at good framerates. I want to see games where I can go back a few years later, crank everything to max and witness the little things my old GPU couldn't handle.

Back