quad g34

Sweet mother of god... I was reading up on the SM brand board, it can support half a TB of RAM... HALF A TB!!!! GOOD LORD, what do you need 512 Gigs of RAM for?

What could one do with say 4x 12 core at 2.1 Ghz, 512 Gigs of RAM, and maybe 3 TB's of HDD in a RAID config? I would think for a system like that you'd better be making money off it, cuz you could buy a small car for the same price... What would you do with a rig like that tho? I don't think I could fold on it, it wouldnt even scratch the surface of the potential there. It's already hard to fold on a SR2 when I could put some dual Fermi action in it and build an amazing gaming beast lol

To fill 512GB of ram from a single hard drive would take almost an hour and even a high speed ssd array would take 10 min. You would get awesome performance in big database stuff though.

sfield, you forgot to post the pic showing 265K PPD. :eek:

I'd like to see a pic of the rear of the case.

Sweet mother of god... I was reading up on the SM brand board, it can support half a TB of RAM... HALF A TB!!!! GOOD LORD, what do you need 512 Gigs of RAM for?

What could one do with say 4x 12 core at 2.1 Ghz, 512 Gigs of RAM, and maybe 3 TB's of HDD in a RAID config? I would think for a system like that you'd better be making money off it, cuz you could buy a small car for the same price... What would you do with a rig like that tho? I don't think I could fold on it, it wouldnt even scratch the surface of the potential there. It's already hard to fold on a SR2 when I could put some dual Fermi action in it and build an amazing gaming beast lol

with half a TB of ram you could run an endless amount of VM's plus a few ram drives.

Couple of new photos per request; bad evening lighting.

Earlier today, I put the top rear PS/watercooling cover plate back in the ATCS840. I cut a notch out on the inside, since a thin non-essential strip of this normally protrudes about 5mm into the interior of the case.

One thing you'll notice if you look closely -- the motherboard is offset about 3-4 mm higher than normal, since this is how it safely clears the top sliding rail hardware. At the top, the MB is locked down to a surface behind it.

I have a piece of 16.5"x13" 2.5mm thick aluminum and will be making a new tray, after I relocate the rail sliding hardware higher up in the case. Note it should also be possible to accomodate an SR-2 motherboard in this case using a similiar approach.

A different case mod approach is to have the power supply in the top of the case, and then move the motherboard backplate and sliding area to the bottom. It's straightforward to move the lower rail mounting/sliding hardware to the bottom of the case. I wanted the power supply in the bottom, so I didn't take this approach.

1179937611_Q22jX-L.jpg

1179937691_Dq3Ui-L.jpg

I'd like to see a pic of the rear of the case.

Last edited:
so is there any major diff between these two boards for 48cores?

supermicro H8QG6-F or tyan S8812WGM3NR

also how much power does this server draw???

Last edited:
so is there any major diff between these two boards for 48cores?

supermicro H8QG6-F or tyan S8812WGM3NR

also how much power does this server draw???

i know the 4x12 core 1.9Ghz versions of those processors does around 570w full load(not sure on the psu efficiency).

Couple of new photos per request; bad evening lighting.

Earlier today, I put the top rear PS/watercooling cover plate back in the ATCS840. I cut a notch out on the inside, since a thin non-essential strip of this normally protrudes about 5mm into the interior of the case.

One thing you'll notice if you look closely -- the motherboard is offset about 3-4 mm higher than normal, since this is how it safely clears the top sliding rail hardware. At the top, the MB is locked down to a surface behind it.

I have a piece of 16.5"x13" 2.5mm thick aluminum and will be making a new tray, after I relocate the rail sliding hardware higher up in the case. Note it should also be possible to accomodate an SR-2 motherboard in this case using a similiar approach.

A different case mod approach is to have the power supply in the top of the case, and then move the motherboard backplate and sliding area to the bottom. It's straightforward to move the lower rail mounting/sliding hardware to the bottom of the case. I wanted the power supply in the bottom, so I didn't take this approach.

Thanks for the info sfield!! I realize I'm a bit late to this thread, but life has taken some interesting turns over the last few weeks.

I had a look at my ATCS 840 a couple of nights ago and I had a feeling you'd have to raise up the mobo a bit to clear the top rail/sliding mechanism for the tray. I think I will likely spend some time this weekend or next with a HAF 932 and see what I can do.

Don't expect pretty water cooling gear from me, as I'm neither that advanced, nor that meticulous :)

I'll be trying out that special software you sent me this weekend to see how my RAM does ;)

I will keep my Asus KGPE-D16 in the ATCS 840 in mouthwatering anticipation of BullDoozer. If things don't work out the way I'd planned then I'll take the "Black Edition" chips out of the quad, replace them with stock 6168s and then overclock them on the Asus KGPE-D16 once again.

But to also reinforce what Sirmonkey1985 said, my 6168s are using about 570 -574 watts in power with the Enermax Rev85+ 1050w power supply.

Based on 10e's numbers for a 24 core it looks like 35k-40k ppd doing bigadv. Anybody else have feedback on this idea? The other big-money alternative is doing a dual quad SR-2 rig for ~300$ more, while the realist in me thinks I should just wait on the 2600k's to come back and do up one of those rigs for 700$ and being smart with the cost difference :p

The dual 6168s at stock speed were doing about 40K PPD on 2684s and anywhere between 55 - 60K PPD with 6900s/2685s/2686s.

When I overclocked them to 2.6Ghz that went up to between 65 and 88K PPD. The overclocking added about 30 - 40 watts power usage at 2.6Ghz, so about 350w.

That's exactly the RAM I am using. There is a vague reference to Unregistered DIMM supported on one of the supermicro pages, but nothing to be seen on the supported RAM list or posts of people using it elsewhere. I just decided to try it, given the low cost and faster potential timings.

Note the supermicro board won't pickup the XMP memory profile of 7-7-7-21, so it will run default at 9-9-9-24-1T. It'll go to 9-9-9-24-2T if you fully populate all the RAM slots. You can re-write the SPD jedec profile, and the supermicro will pick that up. In my system, I found a couple of the modules weren't reliable at 7-7-7-21-1T DDR3-1333 and will be returning those (lifetime warranty).

Testing the memory on this system is a bit complicated -- you need to test each NUMA node (8 -- 2 per physical processor) independently -- this can be done in a similiar fashion as mentioned for doing IntelBurnTest and vcore/vtt voltage tweaking on the SR-2.

The system pulls 690W under folding load with CPUs at 2.3ghz. The system pulls 720W under folding load with CPUs at 2.4ghz, per early overclocking. Just starting to play with reducing the VID values to lower power draw. Note AMD just released the opteron 6180 which runs stock at 2.5ghz for people thinking about building new machines, though price will likely be a big premium and probably not a good $/ppd.

Note the HT-Link speed (~418) that CPU-Z reports is wrong -- it's not reading an extended frequency register which describes speeds over 2.6ghz -- and it's only reporting one of many links on the system.

1191180734_a9QAv-L.png

sfield,

Is this the RAM you have in that board?

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series

If it is, it answers my question of "Do I really have to spend a fortune buying server RAM or can I just plop desktop RAM in that board?!"

Last edited:
Thanks for letting me know, sfield.

The funny thing is that I remember building a system a while back that I could do the opposite with. I remember that the board was a Jetway Socket 462 with the SDRAM/DDR either/or slots. I put ECC server SDRAM PC133 in the system and it actually tested with a higher score than the standard DDR at PC Pitstop when I tested the system. I think that I had a 1.33 GHz Athlon in it. Last I checked, the system was still running at a friend of the family's place.
The funniest thing about the RAM was that I only paid $4 for (2) 256 MB sticks as I bought them from by business teacher. Good deal, huh?

Back