• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Quad core themal paste question

Ilumine

n00b
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
39
I recently installed a q6600 and have it overclocked stable at 1.375v, and was wondering if I could get my core temps lower if I reapplied the AC5. Thought I did all my research on this one, but I used a buisness card to spread the AC5 over the CPU instead of using a straight line method. My core temps fully loaded are in the low 60s.

Does anyone know the temp differences between the two methods?
 
I have tried about every possible method and find that unless you just gunk on too much it does not really matter a lot.

The old school method of checking is to apply the paste, apply the heatsink, if convenient power up and let it warm up for a few minutes, then power down if necessary, remove the heatsink and look at the "footprint" left by the paste. There should be an even thin layer over the entire heat spreader with no voids etc. Its pretty easy to tell if there is too much etc. If the footprint looks "good" you can just reapply the sink or some people clean everything and reapply the paste as before or try something else if the footprint does not look good.

I have personally gone with this method. Finger protected by a baggie smear a very thin layer over the entire heat spreader of the CPU and then use what is left on the baggie to work some into the base of the heatsink by rubbing pretty hard and just leaving a "haze" where the heat spreader will contact.

I will also mention that IMO the heatsink clamping force is most likely more important if the compound is even close to applied uniformly. If a heatsink will move with a moderate force "wiggle" I junk the hold down and go with something else and I am a huge fan of spring loaded mounting if the springs are good and stiff. I do not hesitate to replace weak springs with precision die/jig springs found on mcmaster-carr. Even then I seldom see more that a 2-3C difference unless something was horribly wrong in the first place.
 
Back
Top