Quad 1207

Zink

Gawd
Where can I get a quad socket board that can support four Opteron 8354 for cheap? It would be for folding@home so it wouldn't need fancy storage or network support, just the basics. I don't want to pay $600 but I figured since it is all basically EOL that someone must have them cheaper.

eBay is pretty much it, but even there, they're few and far between (at low cost). I wouldn't waste your money on it though. Barcelona chips are rather slow and power hungry. I had a quad 1207 setup a few years ago and it really wasn't anything that spectacular. You're better off getting a couple 1155 systems. They'll be substantially faster, cheaper, and use far less power, not to mention you won't need to find a case that supports SSI MEB (unless you get the one Tyan board that is EATX).

dang... where were you a few weeks ago? I trashed my Tyan Quad Thunder cause I couldn't find a buyer for it :( Got it from NewEgg for 51usd, lol. Open Box deal indeed.

Anyhow, look at XS' HP Arima thread. It's a big one in their WCG section.

That XS forum link was really helpful. I guess this platform is really too old. I'd be able to buy four 8354 with 4 nice coolers for $170 but its not worth it when a single 2600k can run at over twice the clock speed and easily have higher multithreaded performance than all 16 cores.

Yep. That's part of why I had trouble getting rid of it. My i7 920 at stock was already trading blows with it, much less in low threaded applications...

that being said, it helped me stay warm over this winter's harsher months :)

I picked up a Supermicro H8QM3-2 with 4 8356 CPUs for about $500. Currently with all 16 cores, it is running about 50% faster than my old dual X5355 setup. With the price of "Shanghai" and "Istanbul" here, 6MB L3 will easily put the performance over the 100% increase.

.... a supermicro h8qm3-2 and 4x8378 too :)
yes its not the fastest kiddy on the block....but its a great workhorse/server for me.if you do get 1 like this,run server 2008 r2 and make it look like win7!(see my thread ;) )
stable as a rock now i have played around with it.

ROB

Back