QMicra SFF Case

I would beg you to sell these retail. If you are selling 175 for a thousand, can't you sell them retail for $200? Or at least allow a group buy of some kind.

I am really looking forward to this case and definitely going to purchase one...somehow :)

You could include me in that 10-15 credible [H] enthusiasts that would be willing to buy one of these cases, as long ast it was just the case. The qpack is nice, but ugly, the SG01 is sexy but not very practical, and has stupid airflow engineering.

TheBlueChanell said:
You could include me in that 10-15 credible [H] enthusiasts that would be willing to buy one of these cases, as long ast it was just the case. The qpack is nice, but ugly, the SG01 is sexy but not very practical, and has stupid airflow engineering.
I agree which is why I wondering if maybe QMicra could do the case test thing...granted we would still buy the case :).

I think the original SFF Club Members would do..you included.

I am an original SFF Club Member, 3rd one in If I remember correctly. Not like it matters. :p

TheBlueChanell said:

QFT!

I really don't care for my SG01 case....and want another option!!!!!

After owning the Lian-Li V1000B Windowed case I am really spoiled now, that thing still amazes me how much thought went into the engineering and quality of the materials used. I wish Lian-Li would make an mATX version of the V1000B design. Shorter and wider with the same ventilated front and curved faceplate - anyone care to photoshop one?

Then Koolance could release a water cooled version of the Lian-Li mATX with the integrated mini EXOS unit in the top of the case!

I submit my contest entry photo for "Ultimate [H] SFF Enthusiast" to win a Q-Micra case :cool:

SG01_EVGA-2.jpg

TheBlueChanell said:

Plus one! That now makes 11-16.

:D

I think we meant it to be a SFF Club purchase for review on the case....It would only be fair to make it for the original SFF members.

Keep in mind guys that Pcdlab kindly said that they would discuss a group pre-order once the pictures are up. Before we get a couple pages of people signing up for it sight unseen, you guys might want to wait for pictures.

That way, once pictures are posted, Pcdlab will be able to get an accurate count for the amount of people that want in. ;)

The "SFF Club" members may want to tally up how many of their own are up for a group pre-order and review. I have not seen to many in the thread. It may be beneficial to expand the review to non-SFF club members.

PCduster said:
Keep in mind guys that Pcdlab kindly said that they would discuss a group pre-order once the pictures are up. Before we get a couple pages of people signing up for it sight unseen, you guys might want to wait for pictures.

That way, once pictures are posted, Pcdlab will be able to get an accurate count for the amount of people that want in. ;)

The "SFF Club" members may want to tally up how many of their own are up for a group pre-order and review. I have not seen to many in the thread. It may be beneficial to expand the review to non-SFF club members.
The reason I said that was because their company obviously wants to put it out as a full package first, then a barebones, and then a case. It would be unfair to him to ask him to send everyone that wanted a case that wanted one and have his business suffer.

The reason I thought it would be a good idea to do 5-10 (or 10-15) just cases for SFF Club members is because we can cheaply review the case and give a very powerful statement that might help his business...granted we wouldn't get the full package that he is selling but that would be too expensive for 5-10 people to buy. I hope PClab would consider this offer. Obviously the testers would pay for the case and we would just get a collective, professional review, on it. QMicra would benefit from this because word of mouth is how these products really start and I know many HardForum folks post elsewhere.

So please don't start a list or anything... I think if Pcdlab decided to take me up on the offer I will ask the President (or VP) of the SFF Club to select 10 or so people (or however many Pcdlab would take) from the original SFF members.

Interesting thought process steeeve.

I think this case will be a valuable edition to the SFF market. Though selling it as a case also in say the online channel (not the B&M distribution channel) would be a great opportunity for a small company to make a very quick yet sustainable splash.

They could then concentrate getting their full OEM products out using B&M distribution channels nd maybe an exclusive manufacturer or 3.

Overall I am still very interested in this case. I own a SN25P and 2 X-QPacks, but if the case was right, I would buy 3.

What if you're not in the club? Are you screwed? I've been lurking (and posting) almost since the club was founded, and limiting a preview of this case to a few club members would slight the rest of us who don't want to be in a freakin' club. :(

M4rk said:
What if you're not in the club? Are you screwed? I've been lurking (and posting) almost since the club was founded, and limiting a preview of this case to a few club members would slight the rest of us who don't want to be in a freakin' club. :(

well, I hope pcdlab considers my idea. It just wouldn't be fair for him to let anyone preview it that wanted to. The SFF Club is probably the most fair way to do it...using the first members and then working our way down until we get the right amount of people. I hope he responds to my requests soon :)

Hi Everyone!

Wow... lots of discussion happened here over the weekend. :eek: Let me attampt to explain our end of things...

We are a design, engineering and manufacturing company. We mainly create the product and then build it directly from orders we receive from distributers, retailers, OEM system builders etc. (We also do some retail but this is mainly to help pay the bills.) Our first run of cases will be limited in quantity as we want to prove out the manufacturing process, offer samples to potential customers/reviewers and to test the market response before we make a huge investment in inventory. Therefore, the price per case is much higher than the suggested retail price based on projected volumes. We do have enough to sell 10-15 cases to you but our main concern is that you will be unhappy with the cost... particularly when it reaches the retailers at a much lower price. We looked at this very carefully, and as it has already been pointed out, we would be selling it for little or no profit which is not good for business.

We are just as anxious to get Qmicra into your hands as you are to receive it. Just try to remember that you all got involved in the pre-release stages of the product and that there is a process we have to go through to get it to market. Now because of your SFF knowledge, encouragement and advice... we wish to reward you all in some way. We therefore propose the following:

First off, wait to see the pics! We expect to have the marketing sample very soon and I promise that this will be the very first place we release them.

We will have our first run completed a few weeks after the pic/press release. A certain number of units are allocated for review and I assure you that the [H]ard|OCP community is at the very top of the list to receive one. We propose that you select one person amongst yourselves to represent the SFF enthusiasts here by doing an on-hands review of Qmicra. We are happy to have you as our focus group and know that your input will be extremely valuable to us and the SFF community.

From there, many things are possible, we will take things as they come and you will be the very first to know about it. :)

So thank you once again for your support. We truly appreciate your patience and will continue to work on getting Qmicra to you as soon as (inhumanly) possible.

Regards,
-Dave (pcdlab)

pcdlab said:
We therefore propose the following:

First off, wait to see the pics! We expect to have the marketing sample very soon and I promise that this will be the very first place we release them.

We will have our first run completed a few weeks after the pic/press release. A certain number of units are allocated for review and I assure you that the [H]ard|OCP community is at the very top of the list to receive one. We propose that you select one person amongst yourselves to represent the SFF enthusiasts here by doing an on-hands review of Qmicra. We are happy to have you as our focus group and know that your input will be extremely valuable to us and the SFF community.

So thank you once again for your support. We truly appreciate your patience and will continue to work on getting Qmicra to you as soon as (inhumanly) possible.

Regards,
-Dave (pcdlab)

I hear you get the marketing sample this week :) (according to you ha). I think you idea of 1 person reviewing is a smart one but I think I can propose some other ideas you might consider. First off though, would the person with the one case be buying it or just reviewing it and sending it back? If it is reviewing and sending it back then I think you should send it to 2-3 people over a weeks period for each to review.

Some other ideas:

• If buying, let two people purchase the case
  • If offering for review, send to 2-3 people over a period of a week
  • If giving the full case with parts then give to an "official" reviewer

Also, if you are doing the first two opitions I think you shoudl go by the SFF Club via seniority system. That would mean Michigan PC gets first picks and he can either decline or accept....it declined then it moved on to TheBlueChannell so forth and so on until someone gets it. Another idea might be for you to pick a few people or have the President of the SFF Club pick a few (or one).

I agree that you must limit your first offerings because of the high costs. I thank you and your company for creating this new case and letting us SFFers help out in the little way we can.

Why not send it to [H] itself! Sending it to club members only is kinda discriminating, don't 'ya think? I don't like clubs that much, lol... :rolleyes:

Steeeeve said:
I think you idea of 1 person reviewing is a smart one but I think I can propose some other ideas you might consider. First off though, would the person with the one case be buying it or just reviewing it and sending it back? If it is reviewing and sending it back then I think you should send it to 2-3 people over a weeks period for each to review.

We will be releasing cases to dozens of printed and on-line reviewers. We are offering to send you guys and gals the very first one as a way of thanking everyone for their involvement as well as to get their opinions.

As for who gets it? Like I said, that's for all of you to decide. Just be sure to pick someone who is up to the level of responsibility required for this task. If you want to pass it around to a few people in one week? We're a bit weary of the idea due to the additional time it will take and the increased potential for the case to get beaten up. But you guys are pretty mature and we think you can handle the selection and reviewing process without any difficulty.

What happens to it when you're done with it? We normally require that the reviewer send it back. But we might do something special in this case.

As for a group pre-order? We will see what we can do after you've had an opportunity to actually see what it looks like and you've done a hands-on review. We want you to know what it is you'd actually be buying and the circumstances surrounding its current stage of development. We are extremely confident in Qmicra. We think it will be a monster. But we also want people to make an informed decision before they buy it. That's just how we roll. :cool:

We can not think of a better offer that is more fair than this. So my only question to you is, "Deaaal...... or No Deeaal." :D

-pcdlab

My Vote is honestly towads Dworley. I really thikn he diserves this, He's owned more SFF's than any of us, and can evaluate this case fairly. Thanks Dave, form all the [H]'ers Thank You.

That's GREAT!

We should start a poll or something to decide who get's it - I don't think it should be limited to SFFclub members or seniority - but any registered members here that have contributed on a regular basis and that could do a good job of evaluating this case and providing the rest of us with good feedback on the Qmicra.

M4rk said:
Why not send it to [H] itself! Sending it to club members only is kinda discriminating, don't 'ya think? I don't like clubs that much, lol... :rolleyes:

If it were me, I would pick someone who is trustworthy, knowledgeable, responsible, has a good attention for detail and can communicate their thoughts clearly. Another consideration might be to get the opinion of the [H]ard|OCP staff since we will be contacting them to discuss their involvement in this review.

-Dave (pcdlab)

Dworley would be a good pick, as would Dillusion. Passing the case around afterwards also sounds just plain fun! Whoever wants to look at it next only has to pay for shipping, and promise to pass it on or send it back to QMicra.

...That's my random idea for today, lol. :rolleyes:

I only have a motherboard to throw in a case right now, but in a few weeks I should be able to review fully. Guess I'll put my name somewhere near the bottom of the list, eh? ;)

i'd also say dworley should review it, based on the fact that he has the most experience w/ sff computers. i mean, he has owned most of the shuttles there are, the x-qpack, sg01, and sg01-evolution (i think). he'd be able to compare between all the different models pretty easily as he has them on hand.

M4rk said:
Dworley would be a good pick, as would Dillusion. Passing the case around afterwards also sounds just plain fun! Whoever wants to look at it next only has to pay for shipping, and promise to pass it on or send it back to QMicra.

...That's my random idea for today, lol. :rolleyes:

I only have a motherboard to throw in a case right now, but in a few weeks I should be able to review fully. Guess I'll put my name somewhere near the bottom of the list, eh? ;)

This is the idea I pointed out.

pcdlab said:
We will be releasing cases to dozens of printed and on-line reviewers. We are offering to send you guys and gals the very first one as a way of thanking everyone for their involvement as well as to get their opinions.

As for who gets it? Like I said, that's for all of you to decide. Just be sure to pick someone who is up to the level of responsibility required for this task. If you want to pass it around to a few people in one week? We're a bit weary of the idea due to the additional time it will take and the increased potential for the case to get beaten up. But you guys are pretty mature and we think you can handle the selection and reviewing process without any difficulty.

What happens to it when you're done with it? We normally require that the reviewer send it back. But we might do something special in this case.

As for a group pre-order? We will see what we can do after you've had an opportunity to actually see what it looks like and you've done a hands-on review. We want you to know what it is you'd actually be buying and the circumstances surrounding its current stage of development. We are extremely confident in Qmicra. We think it will be a monster. But we also want people to make an informed decision before they buy it. That's just how we roll.

We can not think of a better offer that is more fair than this. So my only question to you is, "Deaaal...... or No Deeaal."
I think this is fair.

I take it they wouldn't be buying the case then.

In this case (no pun intended) I think a group buy for case only would be good for some of the SFFers later down the road and your idea of 1 case to be reviewed by a SFFer is good.

My idea for the one person:
  1. Someone who has a profession. I don't think high schoolers should review this nor do I think a college dorm should have this case. I think you can be in college and review this case if you have an apartment and going for a masters or above. This prevents misuse and other things kids might do.
  2. Someone with a lot of SFF experience and atleast one with a qpack type case (using mATX in box shape case)
  3. Has watercooled a SFF
  4. Has modded a SFF
  5. Someone who has the time to give a good review

So how to pick this? Well, I think that all the people that think they are qualified should write a paragraph explaining why...we then have a poll open for 1 week from all the community worth 40%, we then have pcdlab make a vote worth 40% and then a vote from the SFF Club worth 20%...the person with the best rank wins.

I really like the passit on Idea. Some 1 could toy w/ if for a few days, or a week or whatever, and pass it on too the next person. The person who recieves it would pay for shipping.

TheBlueChanell said:
I really like the passit on Idea. Some 1 could toy w/ if for a few days, or a week or whatever, and pass it on too the next person. The person who recieves it would pay for shipping.
Yup, sounds more democratic.

So, who should be first in this "conga line" of sorts? That's the real question that we need a poll for, lol...

Steeeeve said:
This is the idea I pointed out.

I think this is fair.

I take it they wouldn't be buying the case then.

In this case (no pun intended) I think a group buy for case only would be good for some of the SFFers later down the road and your idea of 1 case to be reviewed by a SFFer is good.

My idea for the one person:
  1. Someone who has a profession. I don't think high schoolers should review this nor do I think a college dorm should have this case. I think you can be in college and review this case if you have an apartment and going for a masters or above. This prevents misuse and other things kids might do.
  2. Someone with a lot of SFF experience and atleast one with a qpack type case (using mATX in box shape case)
  3. Has watercooled a SFF
  4. Has modded a SFF
  5. Someone who has the time to give a good review

So how to pick this? Well, I think that all the people that think they are qualified should write a paragraph explaining why...we then have a poll open for 1 week from all the community worth 40%, we then have pcdlab make a vote worth 40% and then a vote from the SFF Club worth 20%...the person with the best rank wins.

Now wait a minute. I say ruling out highschoolers and College kids is kinda lame. I am in highschool and am plenty responsible, I even buy and sell on the forums and ebay. I am also working on a cutting a plexi-glass shell for my qpack, as BurntToast did. I see no reason to exclude the youngins.

Thanks for all the votes! :cool:

If it helps - I'm in Austin, TX which is where I believe the [H] offices are located!

I'm not sure I would be a good candidate though....If I receive this Case and really like it - I'm not sending it back - LOL!

TheBlueChanell said:
Now wait a minute. I say ruling out highschoolers and College kids is kinda lame. I am in highschool and am plenty responsible, I even buy and sell on the forums and ebay. I am also working on a cutting a plexi-glass shell for my qpack, as BurntToast did. I see no reason to exclude the youngins.

The person that writes the review, which would be for the use of pcdesign, would need to have atleast some knowledge or business writting or formal writting. This is not well seen on these forums and thus I think you should resort to people that should know how to write a well written article with proper formatting. High schoolers lack these skills as do many 1st year college students. Normally professional writting is taught junior or senior year which is why I think either a professional should write it or a person obtaining their masters (or completed their undergrad and are taking some other continueing education). It might seem unfair to you but when you read an article written by a highschooler and an article written by a professional, you will understand. It is also a maturity issue. Younger students tend to lack he maturity of a professional. This is not really a fault just an observation that is true...I'll be the first to admit I was stupid in high school :) and 2 years in college. I don't know what it is but after paying your first couple of bills and working in a real enviroment you gain a certain understanding for how you are supposed to act, etc.

This is nothing against you, but if I were giving a case to someone to test it would not be a high school student for sure. I would want someone who I know would take care of the case and act in a responsible manner. There is a greater risk for someone in High School and in beginning college. This company can't afford to have someone hold one of their only cases that isn't responsible for themselves.

I would have to nominate dworley too. He has top of the line computer componets to push the system hard, and an endless supply of money to build new systems. Has plenty of SFF experince, just look at his photo gallery and he's present on other forums as well, like SFFTech. If he likes it, it will make it to these other forums as well, which might convince pcdlab that it will be a good idea to sell just the case retail. The more cases sold the lower price we have to pay.

Just my two cents.

Just so you all know, MichiganPC has been MIA for like 2months, at least as far sa I've seen....so then It'd be MEEEEE.

Ok, Steeeve I see what you mean..damn. Well, whatever I trust dworley if these hit retail, I'm getting one.

TheBlueChanell said:
Ok, Steeeve I see what you mean..damn. Well, whatever I trust dworley if these hit retail, I'm getting one.

haha, I mean't no offense to you...I see no reason to think you are not trustworthy, however, if I had a choice between a 40yr old and a high schooler...i'd go with the 40 yr old :p

After PMing Dworley I think it is safe to assume he is our choice.

I think we should get a background on Dworley though...do you have any proof of age or an ebay account showing you are trustworthy? I would think that pcdlab would want some assurance ;)

My vote, for now, goes to Dworley

Steeeeve said:
haha, I mean't no offense to you...I see no reason to think you are not trustworthy, however, if I had a choice between a 40yr old and a high schooler...i'd go with the 40 yr old :p

After PMing Dworley I think it is safe to assume he is our choice.

I think we should get a background on Dworley though...do you have any proof of age or an ebay account showing you are trustworthy? I would think that pcdlab would want some assurance ;)

My vote, for now, goes to Dworley

Jeez, did you have to go and blow my cover? I did not realize I was going to have to divulge all of my persoanl info on the forum to be a candidtae - LOL :eek:

I guess if you searched you could find this easy enough - I do have 100% positive feedback on Ebay - *racerx* and heatware - dworley

pcdlab can contact me if he wants any assurances or more info

;)

dworley said:
Jeez, did you have to go and blow my cover? I did not realize I was going to have to divulge all of my persoanl info on the forum to be a candidtae - LOL :eek:

I guess if you searched you could find this easy enough - I do have 100% positive feedback on Ebay - *racerx* and heatware - dworley

pcdlab can contact me if he wants any assurances or more info

;)

oops!! I meant pcdlab would want this stuff...I didn't mean to put "we"...it is late, what can I say.

don't be posting social security numbers and stuff now hehe.

Thank you Dave for stopping back in and keeping us informed, it helps a lot!

I took a look back in the thread, and it looks like we should be coming up on some pictures soon! Is everything still a go for picture releases within a about weeks time??(you had mentioned it would take ~2-3 weeks on the 17th of Feb.)

I am just checking to see if things are moving along as planned, or if there has been a snag or two. ;)

The group pre-order you mentioned is looking to be for the complete system, correct? Has there been any more information on the timeframe for a release of a "barebones setup"(motherboard, PSU, or similar) and the highly anticipated "bare" case??

This is really cool to be along for the ride during the pre-release of what will definately be a hit on the SFF market. I cannot wait to see those pictures! And more importantly, I cannot wait to get my hands on one!

PCduster said:
Thank you Dave for stopping back in and keeping us informed, it helps a lot!

I took a look back in the thread, and it looks like we should be coming up on some pictures soon! Is everything still a go for picture releases within a about weeks time??(you had mentioned it would take ~2-3 weeks on the 17th of Feb.)

I am just checking to see if things are moving along as planned, or if there has been a snag or two. ;)

The group pre-order you mentioned is looking to be for the complete system, correct? Has there been any more information on the timeframe for a release of a "barebones setup"(motherboard, PSU, or similar) and the highly anticipated "bare" case??

This is really cool to be along for the ride during the pre-release of what will definately be a hit on the SFF market. I cannot wait to see those pictures! And more importantly, I cannot wait to get my hands on one!

There have been no snags to speak of. Although there are always things to work out on a first run. That is why the schedule is a best guess rather than a firm date. But our manufacturing guys are very good and they are afforded whatever they need to get things done right. So we still expect to receive the marketing unit this or next week and the run completed a few weeks after that. And as also stated, this will be the very first place we relase the pics.

Systems will be available immediately upon arrival of our first case run and anyone will be able to configure and buy them from our web page. But we will be aggressively seeking case orders from distributers, retailers, OEM system builders, etc. as well. A group pre-order, whether it be systems or just the case, will be considered after you guys have seen the pictures and done a hands-on review. In regard to barebones, I think I am going to take that up in another post as we have our own thoughts on the subject.

I hope this answers your questions and we're equally excited to get Qmicra out to you as soon as we can.

-pcdlab

It appears that Mr. dworley has been chosen to do the review of Qmicra. (That was quick!) We think he is a good choice as well so congrats! Next we will be contacting the HardOCP guys to discuss their involvement.

-pcdlab

Back