• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q9650 @ 4.05 OC Question

Mati71

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 17, 2008
Messages
141
Okay, I have my OC 9650 at 4.05 MHz prime stable. Vcore is 1.32 at load and NB is at 1.33. My core load temps are at 53, 54, 55, 52 respectfully. I'm using the G.Skill 1066 on an Asus Rampage Formula. I'm pretty happy with the results, but I'm doing this more so to learn about Overclocking.

Question is: What can I do to reduce Vcore?

Thanks.

On a side note, I'm pretty happy with the Xigmatech S1283 with bracket.
 
You can lower Vcore all you want but you will lose stability on your overclock. Vcore stands for Voltage to the core of your processor. At those temps under load you don't need to lower your Vcore.
 
I assume you have tried reducing the Vcore in the bios to the next lower step and it failed whatever stability tests you are using.

If you temps where high, and they are not, sometimes a better heatsink will help the cpu clock faster but in your case it would be a lot of money on an experiment that probably would not pan out or be worth the money. Same for watercooling, you might could get another couple hundred MHz out of it or keep the same speed and reduce your Vcore by a notch but thats not much gain to spend $250+ for.

Your core temp is not really all that high, Intel rates the Absolute Max Vcc for the chip at 1.45V so you are not anywhere near a danger level. I see no low cost or easy tweak that will do what you want.

If you are looking to "play" some more you could grab a memory benchmark somewhere and see what you can do about OCing your memory to see if you can get to the next memory mulitplier/higher memory speed with or without loosening timings as see with the benchmark if it makes a performace gain or not.
 
Wow, I wish I could get my 9650 stable at that voltage. I have to go to 1.55 volts BIOS (1.52 v CPUZ) which I know is to high but temps are low 50s under stress Prime 95 and OCCT. I am taking a chance on voltage but right now all is well and my Vantage score of 24225 makes me happy.
 
I assume you have tried reducing the Vcore in the bios to the next lower step and it failed whatever stability tests you are using.

That's what I tried to do on Prime.

I appreciate the input. I think what I'll take a look at next is see what I can do about the next memory mulitplier/higher memory speed with or without loosening timings, as suggested by BillParrish.

Thanks again for everyones pointers.
 
With the 45nm chips, once I get something stable I'll just stick with it. These things are temperamental - one day they'll be fine and the next, my o/c shitpalms me in the face. If it was 65nm I'd screw around all I want, but 45nm has personality issues. E.g. a 4GHz did 10 hours orthos, then took a shit on me after a reboot or two. or a 4.2ghz that takes another doogy on the next reboot after passing 10 runs of burntest and hour of occt.
 
With the 45nm chips, once I get something stable I'll just stick with it. These things are temperamental - one day they'll be fine and the next, my o/c shitpalms me in the face. If it was 65nm I'd screw around all I want, but 45nm has personality issues. E.g. a 4GHz did 10 hours orthos, then took a shit on me after a reboot or two. or a 4.2ghz that takes another doogy on the next reboot after passing 10 runs of burntest and hour of occt.

I was prime stable at 445 for 2 hours at 1.28 Vcore (load). But when I went to 450, I couldn't hit stable until 1.32 (Load). It seems that I got the luck of the draw with the CPU from the results I'm getting compared to others, I feel pretty fortuntate.
 
I was prime stable at 445 for 2 hours at 1.28 Vcore (load). But when I went to 450, I couldn't hit stable until 1.32 (Load). It seems that I got the luck of the draw with the CPU from the results I'm getting compared to others, I feel pretty fortuntate.

I'll be ending up more or less the exact same specs as you within a few weeks, so it's nice to see you got to 4ghz on that setup. I just hope I end up with a Q9650 that can clock that high with such a low voltage. I also hope my 9700NT can cool my 9650 efficiently at those clocks...

I'll keep an eye on this thread, as I too am sort of a noob at overclocking. I've read a lot about it, but I just haven't actually done it yet to a large extent. This will help a lot when I try to get my setup to 4ghz.
 
Just as side note, for case cooling I have just a straight front to back fan setup. I have the Yate Loons (sl) in the front two slots and a Slipstream 60 CFM in the back of the case in conjunction witth HSF fan and video card (all in a P182 case). I blocked off the top vent.
 
Back
Top