Q9550 vs. i7 920 for SINGLE GPU configuration?

browncoat

n00b
Joined
Dec 3, 2008
Messages
7
I've seen benchmarks that show that if you do SLI/XFire, i7 920 will be far better than the Q9550. Does the same hold for a single GPU configuration?

I'm running a GTX 260 c216 on a E8400 @ 3.6GHz now and kinda want to make the jump to quad. I mainly do gaming, SOMETIMES encoding but nothing hardcore.
 
is money an issue at all? you know you will have to buy new ram/mobo/etc for i7 whereas you prolly won't have to do that for a 45nm quad considering you have a 45nm dual core
 
Sell the E8400, buy a Q9550, profit.

You're looking at $300 + $200 + $100 = $600 minimum for a quality i7 920 build, - ~$120 for your E8400 - $50-75 (assuming a P35/P45 board) - $40 (assuming 4GB DDR2-1066) = $365 best case scenario for the i7.

vs.

~$255 shipped for the 9550 from Dell Small Business, - ~$120 you can sell the E8400 for, $125 total cost out of pocket.

$365 vs. $125. Do you want i7 $240 worth? If so go for it.
 
Thanks guys,
I think I'll put the trigger on the i7... it's just too tempting!
Man that EVGA x58 looks secksy
 
Thanks guys,
I think I'll put the trigger on the i7... it's just too tempting!
Man that EVGA x58 looks secksy

I just came back from MicroCenter.
They still have it on sale for $230. (Out of Stock, but still)
Fry's Electronics has it for $299 still and Newegg is $288.99
 
Back
Top