Q9550 temps too high?

Nosenuggets45

Limp Gawd
I just got a Q9550 and stared OC'ing it a bit. I'm using my S1283 cooler with MX-2.

I have it running at 3.4ghz at 1.256v. After 3 or 4 minutes of IBT, my temp max out at about 62C 61C 62C 59C

Are these too high? With P95, my temps didn't exceed 56C. I'm not sure if I have to go back and reseat the cooler or not. Maybe re-apply the thermal paste.

Last edited:
after 3 or 4 mins of stress testing, it's hitting 62* max? I wouldn't worry about it, honestly. My Q6600 @ stock, due to the stupid cooler and mobo I'm using, can hit the mid 50's at idle and gets close to 70* under load depending on the room temp. If you're maxing it out at 62, overclocked, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

those are good temps under stress, albeit not the best I've seen

Yeah. I'm not super impressed with them. I assume the S1283 is good enough to cool it, and air flow in my case is fine. Do you think I should re apply the MX-2? I may have put a bit too much.

No they are low for an overclock and much lower than the stock cooler at full load and at stock frequency.
Well I'm barely overclocked. I may be up around 600mhz, but I only upped the VID by 0.06 (since I believe my stock is 1.25).

Last edited:
my Q9550 o/c to 3.5 with a corsair H-50 hits 65 cel at 99% usage while folding,never seen it spike over 69 cel

Well I'm barely overclocked. I may be up around 600mhz, but I only upped the VID by 0.06 (since I believe my stock is 1.25).

I consider these good temps. Nothing at all to worry about. My temps for my Q9550 at 3.2GHz are higher than that and I am running 1.125V @ 3.2GHz 1.04V @ C1E. Although I am using an AC Freezer Pro 7.

lap the proc aand what ever heatsink ur using.. if u like i have a Danger Den Kit im selling. Im on Heatware . Leo013087 on overclock.net PM there i dont use hard that much

Well I'm now running at 4ghz with load temps (in P95 Small FFT) of 62C 58C 62C 58C after 2 hours. It's running pretty strong right now. Next is 4.2ghz :) This is crazy, I'm only at 1.27VID. I must have a magical chip!

I just got the PM and I just saw this thread. Bro, I am jealous... this chip is doing work for you! Congrats man... dang lol. I wish I woulda messed with it more.

Just curious. What settings did you mess with?

I'm not home now, but these are the settings I last posted on here:
CPU Ration Setting------------8.5
FSB---------------------------------468
PICE--------------------------------100
FSB Strap to NB----------------333
DRAM Freq.----------------------DDR2-951
Timing: -----------------------------5-5-5-15
CPU Voltage---------------------1.26875
CPU GTL Reference-----------Auto
CPU PLL Voltage--------------1.55
FSB Termination Voltage---1.36
DRAM Voltage------------------2.06
NB Voltage-----------------------1.45

Some of the voltages on the bottom of the list might be slightly off, since I'm going from memory. I'll update it when I get back home.

Yeah. I'm not super impressed with them. I assume the S1283 is good enough to cool it, and air flow in my case is fine. Do you think I should re apply the MX-2? I may have put a bit too much.

Dude I got same Case (although 902 version), Same cooler. And I'm Oc at 3.4ghz 1.16v, and I can actually turn the all fan's off and idle at 36c, And with Prime95 and the fan at max I hit 53c (core's) Max (although winter is here also)

So it turns out it BSOD'd after 3 hours of P95 Small FFTs. Would that be a voltage issue most likely?

I just got a Q9550 and stared OC'ing it a bit. [...]
I have it running at 3.4ghz at 1.256v. After 3 or 4 minutes of IBT, my temp max out at about 62C 61C 62C 59C.

Are these too high?

Hi, I had to laugh when I read your question.

Here were mine (Q9550) while I did not use any thermal paste:

First row shows the system in idle, and the second row while using Intel Burn Test, full load:

everest3jzlh.png

The test results:

intelburntestresults8zst.png

• Please note that I have not used any therma paste yet.

• While the CPU was cooling down, core 3 and 4 don't seem to decrease below 38 and 40 degrees respectively .. must be stuck temp sensors.

• At full load, the temps can go up to almost 100 degrees .. that's sick.

Here are the results of the Wolfdale E8400:

core2duoe8400b7gg.png

intelburntest87pt.png

• The maximum temperature the dual had during this test was 71 degrees (no thermal paste)

• The dual took 660.5 seconds while the quad took 393.9 seconds for the same test.

• The speed for the dual was given as around 20.000 GFlops (Giga Floating point operations per second) while the quad had around 33.000 GFlops.

• Have to say, that the dual (core # 1) has a stuck temperature diode, meaning it does diplay the correct temps from 38 degrees upwards, but it would not go any lower than 38 degrees.

So it turns out it BSOD'd after 3 hours of P95 Small FFTs. Would that be a voltage issue most likely?

What was the error in the bsod?

101 = vcore

124 = memory

Small FFT's are also CPU intensive only.

Is the 3 hour failure @ 4.2 Ghz?

What was the error in the bsod?

101 = vcore

124 = memory

Small FFT's are also CPU intensive only.

Is the 3 hour failure @ 4.2 Ghz?
I don't know. The BSOD was found by my brother since I wasn't home. I'm doing Small FFT's hoping that it will help me find the limit of my CPU, then I'll work on the RAM. And it was at 4ghz with 1.268v and a CPU PPL of 1.5. I upped the PPL to 1.6 and the VID to 1.275. I'm running the Small FFT test again, hoping I stabilized it. Where would I look for that number on the BSOD?

The error code for the BSOD shows up right when it happens. If you missed the BSOD there should be a notification with details of the BSOD error code when you get back into Windows. If that doesn't happen, try event viewer.

the error will look something like 0000x0124

I would try to keep it under 75*C in LinX or intel burn test, anything over than that and Id probably abort for saftey (just cause you dont want to destroy a nice CPU like that).

Or upgrade your heatsink and go for broke! :p

Well I just BSOD'd again after only 1 hour. Sigh. I missed the code on the blue screen but here is all I got after I booted back up. Anything useful in it?

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 7f
BCP1: 0000000000000008
BCP2: 0000000080050031
BCP3: 00000000000406F8
BCP4: FFFFF800028CED7D
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Edit: I also found this in Event Viewer:

EventData

param1 0x0000007f (0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000080050031, 0x00000000000406f8, 0xfffff800028ced7d)
param2 C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
param3 123010-19531-01

Last edited:
I think 7f is memory related. If yo want to concentrate on CPU ocing first, drop your ram FSB down to its lowest. If it already is then I would immediately run a memtest.

I think 7f is memory related. If yo want to concentrate on CPU ocing first, drop your ram FSB down to its lowest. If it already is then I would immediately run a memtest.

Yeah, I already have it as low as it goes with 333mhz FSP strap to NB. I'm going to run a memtest overnight and see what comes up.

People quoting temps in the 60's, that is WAY low. That is assuming you're measuring the core temp, and not using an external temperature sensor (which would give lower readings than the core).

Your chip has what is called a TjMax. That represents the maximum allowable temperature for your processor, at which point the processor will usually shut down to prevent damage to itself. Throttling usually happens about 5-10C before TjMax. So the person a few posts up who thought it was cool that his processor hit almost 100C, grats on making your chip throttle itself.

That being said you only really need to keep your chip about ~15C below TjMax under a worst case scenario (IBT usually). For most chips that will be around 90C.

My Q9650 @ 4.4ghz will usually be around 67-77C in most games.

Well after about 8 hours of Memtext86, no issues to be found. So, wouldn't that mean the issue lies with my CPU? I might up the voltage a notch, but it's getting pretty warm so I have to be weary.

I think I may be ordering a Noctua NH-D14.... :)

EDIT: Looks like things aren't as good as it seemed. I just rebooted to install a windows update and my OC failed at POST. I upped the VID, still failed. I jacked it up to 1.3625 and it still failed. Put my DRAM up to 2.1v, still failed. I lowered my FSB to 465 and now I'm able to boot. I have a feeling getting it completely stable at 4ghz might be a challenge.

Last edited:
Alright, so I have a near stable 4ghz overclock. Made it no problem through 8+ hours of P95. Howerever, Core 2 keeps failing in P95 after about 1-2 hours. Other than that, no issues. I already bumped up the VID from 1.29 to 1.31 and it still isn't passing the test. Any ideas?

Do you have Load Line Calibration enabled or not? That seemed to help quite a bit for me. I'm running at 1.4v with LLC enabled and it's been stable like that for years now.

I do in fact have LLC enabled. I don't have any BSOD errors when running P95, it's just that Core 2 fails after a few hours. So far, no stability errors in my every day usage either.

Back