Q9550 @MicroCenter back at $169.99

great little chip. picked mine up there at the same price a few months ago. My MC Was very accomodating when it came to picking out the stepping, so give that a whirl. The E0 OC's real nice.

I got mine right before Christmas for this price at MicroCenter. It's an awesome proc, at an awesome price.

I'm thinking about replacing my gaming rig's Q8400 with this proc. Any thoughts about this upgrade being worthwhile for $170?

I'm thinking about replacing my gaming rig's Q8400 with this proc. Any thoughts about this upgrade being worthwhile for $170?

Overclocking? If not, I would say that you probably won't notice a huge difference...at least not $170 worth. If you sold your old chip, total cost would be about $50 and that might be worth it. I'm using one of these now, and I haven't felt like I'm missing the boat completely on not going to i5/i7.

Overclocking? If not, I would say that you probably won't notice a huge difference...at least not $170 worth. If you sold your old chip, total cost would be about $50 and that might be worth it. I'm using one of these now, and I haven't felt like I'm missing the boat completely on not going to i5/i7.
No, I'm not overclocking. Thanks for the advice; I'll stay with my Q8400.

picked this up last time upgrading from a e8600 and loving this quad. slight overclock at 3.4ghz

Oops, nevermind, found it. I had to use Google because Microcenter's search engine sucks crap. And yes, it IS an in-story only deal.

Got in on this a while back. Went from an E2180 @ 3.2 to this @ 3.7. Games run smooth at 60FPS with my 5850. They were pretty good before with the E2180 but the Q9550 really unlocks the power of the 5850. The real boost though was in video encoding. I use Handbrake a lot to resize videos for my Droid and it's waaaay faster now.

Picking one of these up back in the Summer sale was the best thing I could have ever done for my rig.

I'm going to this cpu from a E8400 C2D @ 3.8ghz. I think the newer games will bog down my 4890 with only 2 cores instead of 4.

No, I'm not overclocking. Thanks for the advice; I'll stay with my Q8400.

Thats not good advice you were just given, very incorrect imo. try playing GTA IV or any of the recent games that use multi core. There would be a big difference in performance from a dual to a quad.

Thats not good advice you were just given, very incorrect imo. try playing GTA IV or any of the recent games that use multi core. There would be a big difference in performance from a dual to a quad.

Unless I'm mistaken a Q8400 is a Quad Core CPU http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115057 and since he's not OCing then the original advice was correct.

As far as your comment goes well obviously a Quad Core is going to be better in GTA4 and Supreme Command and... yeah that's about it gaming wise currently, what the future holds in another story.

I think he's talking about a Q8400, not an E8400. So he'd be going from a 2.66 ghz quad with 4mb cache to a 2.83ghz quad with 12mb cache. Definite improvement from the additional cache for some applications plus extra clock speed - worth $50, maybe, maybe not.

Unless I'm mistaken a Q8400 is a Quad Core CPU http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115057 and since he's not OCing then the original advice was correct.

As far as your comment goes well obviously a Quad Core is going to be better in GTA4 and Supreme Command and... yeah that's about it gaming wise currently, what the future holds in another story.
Exactly that. GTA4 is the only game that is slow on my dual core, in any case its a bad and boring game and I wish I didn't waste $7.49 on. Every other game that I have runs fine including Supreme commander, of course though I don't play with computers. I wish there were more games that I could justify buying a quad core, but there are none only poorly ported console games.

You've got to be kidding me. A buddy of mine picked one up a week ago for like $230.

Does 4.25Ghz at 1.392V in XP despite it being 1.2875V vid.

Not worth $170.

If you can sell your old cpu for 100 or so it may be worth 70 dollars. Do not spend anymore than 70 dollars from your old cpu.

I assume the same upgrade advice thing goes for upgrading from a G0 stepping Q6600 to the Q9550? I am currently not overclocking, but may consider t

Lowest price I've ever seen. Last year they were often $180. I just picked one up and they gave me a free 4GB usb flash drive for signing up as a member as well as 5% off future purchases.

I assume the same upgrade advice thing goes for upgrading from a G0 stepping Q6600 to the Q9550? I am currently not overclocking, but may consider t

Yes, I would say so. Really depends on the OCing unless you have a lot of cache sensitive apps.

Would someone be able to pick me up one and send it to Canada?

I could send you a small deposit!

Pm if you would be whiling to!

Just got back from the Chicago store and no one knew what I was talking about. They scanned and checked for any adjustments, and nothing.

Wonder if they will give me the difference.. I bought one last weekend and it was $229!! Thats what I get for impatience I guess!! LOL!!

Wonder if they will give me the difference.. I bought one last weekend and it was $229!! Thats what I get for impatience I guess!! LOL!!

You're allowed to return it within 30 days. Technically you could return it and get a refund then repurchase it. Since I'm sure they thought of this they'd simply price match it for you.

Not so much Supreme Commander unless you use Core Maximizer or whatever it was called.

Also you left out ArmA2 and Dragon Age off the top of my head, there's a handful of others where a 2.4GHz Q6600 was matching a 3.6GHz overclocked E8400.

Not so much Supreme Commander unless you use Core Maximizer or whatever it was called.

Also you left out ArmA2 and Dragon Age off the top of my head, there's a handful of others where a 2.4GHz Q6600 was matching a 3.6GHz overclocked E8400.

Left 4 Dead 2 and Dirt 2 come to mind as well. They don't see the incredible difference a quad core provides those other titles, but they still see improvements. Any game that takes advantage of 4 cores is worth noting, right :p?

You're allowed to return it within 30 days. Technically you could return it and get a refund then repurchase it. Since I'm sure they thought of this they'd simply price match it for you.

their return policy is cpus are allowed to be exchanged within 30 days if defective.

This is a fantastic CPU. Bumping the FSB from 1333 to 1600 - a very easy OC - gives a stable 3.4ghz quad core machine. No need to even up voltages or go beyond stock cooling, in most cases.

This is a fantastic CPU. Bumping the FSB from 1333 to 1600 - a very easy OC - gives a stable 3.4ghz quad core machine. No need to even up voltages or go beyond stock cooling, in most cases.

Yeah, I run mine @ 450mhz for 3.8Ghz with 1.3V. Great CPU for OCing. For $170, hard to beat. I get 7.5 rating in Win 7 processor rating FWIW.

Back