Q9400 Deal @frys.com

i have no idea i see 9450's used on sale for 200-220 so prob is a good price for a q9400 new.. just about to upgrade a few more boxes to 9450's but waiting a lil longer to see whats next and price drops..

i have no idea i see 9450's used on sale for 200-220 so prob is a good price for a q9400 new.. just about to upgrade a few more boxes to 9450's but waiting a lil longer to see whats next and price drops..

yea but the deal isn't bad at all, i would bit if i had a 45nm motherboard and had the money :)
and you better get those boxes to fold for the horde!!Team 33! :D

Sorry what's the diff between this and the 9450?

Jebo, I think the 9400 has 6mb of L2 cache and the 9450 has 12 mb of L1. I have heard that the 9400 can O'clock better, some reports say up to 4gig, I have never tried. I like to use my procs for awhile. LMK if that helps or if I am wrong.

I am trading my e8400 for a Q9400.
will I notice much of speed difference from 3ghz to 2.66ghz?

I am trading my e8400 for a Q9400.
will I notice much of speed difference from 3ghz to 2.66ghz?

It would be a cinch to overclock the Q9400 to 3GHz, and you'll have 2 more cores at the same clock speed. It should be at least as fast as the E8400 for most tasks. I'm willing to bet 3.2-3.6 GHz would be relatively easy to attain, and then it would definitely be faster than the stock E8400.

Of course, you could probably get the E8400 up to ~4GHz or higher without much trouble, assuming you have a decent board and RAM.

Even if you don't overclock, I'd say you won't notice much of a decrease in Windows/apps/games that don't utilize more than 2 cores...but for those apps that can use more than 2, you WILL notice a big difference. Video encoding is a great example.

Cool, thanks.
I do do some encoding, not as much as I used to. I won Edius Neo in a raffle a couple of months ago so I am going to learn how to use that program and will edit and encode HD Video files for output to BluRay.

I bit on the deal a couple weeks ago when they offered the Q9400 + motherboard for $229. I did have a Q6600, but was looking to upgrade the HTPC and this was the perfect opportunity.

I have the Q6600 in the HTPC with the ECS G31T-M board frys was handing out (actually works very nicely) and the Q9400 in my system now @ 3.7Ghz.

FYI - The Q9400's that Fry's is shelling out on these deals seems to be an OEM cpu, not the boxed Retail version with hsf if anyone cares.

Would this be a worthy upgrade from a Q6700? I might be able to sell my 6700 for $200....

Back