• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q9300 - Lowering Multi & Upping FSB?

Joined
May 19, 2007
Messages
555
Hey all,

In an effort to get temps under control in my SFF case I'm looking bringing my cpu back to stock speeds and undervolting it. It's currently getting up to 75c which afaik is a tad on the high side.

So I'm wondering... Will lowering my multi down to 6 and upping my fsb to 416 (Bringing the cpu back to 2.5ghz) give me any kind of performance boost? I remember years ago people would do it to increase their memory bandwith and the like, but with modern processors does it really do anything for overall system performance?

Thanks! :D
 
if you want it to run at stock speeds set everything to auto and lower the cpu volts manually. so how low it will run atable at.
 
I know it'll go at least as low as 1.1v, perhaps lower. My old MoBo wouldn't go under 1.1v, but the new one does so I'll have to do a bit more experimenting with volts and P95.

But that doesn't help at all with the question of getting more overall system performance by lowering the multi and upping the bus.
 
from my experence (very limited), it seem running the ram at 1:1 gave me a bigger performance then max fsb. again my experence is very limited.
 
My memory is 1066 so it is running at 1:1 at 417fsb.

I just got home and did a rather unscientific test, which was run 3dMark06 at 333 and 416. My scores went up very slightly from 12825 to 12987. I got a higher score with 340fsb and 2.55GHz on the CPU. So I guess it does increase overall system performance but not in any kind of meaningful way.

I'll most likely do a bit more fiddling and see if I can get the fsb up a bit higher while keeping the voltage 1.1v or under to try and get a best performance at low wattage situation going. Take a few mins before I sleep to set the settings and then run P95 overnight to see if they work.
 
Your memory is definitely not 1:1 with 1066 and 417....ddr834 would be 1:1 at that fsb, alternatively if you had a golden mobo and chip your fsb at 533 would be 1:1 with that ram.
 
The multi is already so low on that proc, I'm not sure how high it would go. I had my Q9300 running around 455mhz FSB and then it would crap out on me. I'd be surprised if any board/CPU combo would reach 533mhz bus speed.
 
Back
Top