Q9300 + DS3P

vidoprof

Limp Gawd
So i now have a nice little overclock going, but a few issues *maybe they are*

I tried to run the ram multiplier at 2.0 and it wouldn't boot. SO I put it to AUTO (says 960 in BIOS) which is 2.4 I believe and it works fine. IS this a big deal?

Can I put ANY Number in the FSB settings? Does it have to be a "round" number like 333, or 400, or 266? IF not then what are the "normal" numbers to put here? I would like as much out of it without pushing it terribly far.

My temps right now are in the LOW 60's, so I am ok with going as far as 70ish (since I don't think that's unreasonable).

Everything right now in the BIOS IS set to AUTO except the FSB is at 333. Any other tips?

What should I try and where should I go from here?

Do you think a 3.4-3.6 is possible with the Artic Cooler 7 HSF? If so what ROUGHLY would be the settings I would want to try?

Thanks for all the help.. This OCing thing is just a "little" bit over my head

Ryan

This is a very complete background on OCing on Gigabytes.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1169366

Kinda big deal depending on your memorys rated max speed, as you raise the FSB to OC the cpu you will also raise the memory speed and at some point you will need the lower ratio to prevent your memory from becoming highly OCed. Also during cpu testing for OC you want the memory out of the picture and the best way is to run the memory at the 2.0 mulitpler so that the memory is underclocked so you can be reasonalbly sure any issues are not memory related. Check for a newer bios and my guide has instructions/comments on how to safely update the bios too.

Yes any whole number, do small jumps of 10MHz as this lets the board adjust a lot of internal settings you never see gradually. Big jumps will often fail and the board will go into its "recovery" reboot cycling and after about 3 reboots will reset back to stock. This is normal on a failing set of bios settings.

Keep an eye on memory speed the board loves to reset memory speed back to auto resulting in a high memory overclock and causing the above to happen over and over. I always check the memory mulitplier every time I go into the bios for any reason and I recommend you set it at 2.4 if it will not "stick" at 2.0 . I hope a newer bios will fix that as you really kinda need the 2.0 setting but you can work around it if you have too.

yep, 75C under full load is still almost 25C away from the cpu thinking it is too hot. Plenty of safety margin.

for tips see above, mainly you first want to increase FSB and raise MCH voltage to see where you can get a certain Vcore voltages then raise Vcore a notch and see if you can get higher until you reach the top of your comfort zone on voltages or temps or the board will just not do anymore for lots of reasons you have no control over.

3.4 sure, 3.6 eh, everything is a crap shoot. there is no hurry, with testing and a little time invested you likely can make it but keep an eye on temps.

Again no hurry, if you read my guide on the link above you will quicky know about "how to" OC. Anyone can slap in numbers and see it they work. The best way is to develop a plan based on the way the board works and then test methodically while taking notes and dont get in any hurry. its not like you cant use the machine during the process and doing your daily thing with the machine is IMO one of the best stress tests for a new set of bios settings there is.

Please read through the guide - there is a ton of info there and every bit is solid gold.

Bill,

Thanks for the links and the tips. I appreciate it.

The issue I have is (maybe the older BIOS) the settings under OC section only show voltage in +.05, +.10 etc... They don't actually SHOW the REAL voltage here.

I will update the bios (hopefully not bricking my board) and get back to see if that SHOWS the ACTUAL voltage..

Thanks
Ryan

Ok I checked Gigabytes site and they do NOT say anything about showing ACTUAL voltages in the BIOS on the UPDATE BIOS page..

I am going to update the BIOS because there is a RAID fix for ICH9R so that is certain. That is F5 though and there is a F6a (beta) .. Should I NOT use a BETA BIOS revision?

Thoughts?

Ryan

Anyone? Should you use a BETA bios from a place like Gigabyte for the DS3P? It's pretty old and they haven't updated the BIOS in a long while so I am sure there is no plans to make a NON Beta update of this one.

Also how do I find out what my actual Voltages are for the motherboard since it only shows +.05, +.10, +.15 etc under EVERY voltage setting in the OCing section.

Thanks
Ryan

Back