Q8200 can i overclock?

herfalerf

Gawd
im currently running a newegg bargain box PC that came with a core 2 quad q8200. its plenty fast for most of the things that i do, but i downloaded the trial of starcraft 2 and it seems that in larger multiplayer matches i am limited by the cpu's 2.3ghz clock.

googling has not netted me much info on OCing the q8200 except that it is not a very desirable proc. it is however what i am stuck with until at least christmas time so i want to get the most out of it that i can. does anyone know if it can be oced and how i might go about doing that? im a total OC newb. MB is a msi MS-7529 G31M3 v2. i know there are multiple models of this and i am not entire sure which one i have but its running a AMI V2.3B5 bios.

You overclock by raising the FSB. I am not familiar with the MSI board, so I don't know its overclocking options.

G31 boards suck at overclocking. The highest clockspeed you could get from them is probably 2.8GHz.

Not sure that your board (G31 chipset) will overclock very well. You're bound by the 7 multiplier (7x333). You might be lucky to get it to a 400fsb which would be 2.8Ghz. See how far you can push it.

Definitely any OC you can get by raising the FSB and possibly the CPU voltage (while watching your memory speed does not get too out of spec) will help if you have the bios options.

You didn't mention it, but if you are playing on the on-board built in video thats what is really killing you and even a $50 video card will be a huge help.

So raise the Vcore to 1.35 ish Volts if you can and then start raising the FSB in 10MHz increments and play the game for a couple of hours, If no problems try another 10MHz..

Your memory is also going to run faster and you will need to watch that, unfortunately I have no clue what that bios looks like and so cannot give specific recommendations. It should show actual memory speed I think, most do. At some point you will need to reduce the multiplier/ratio to keep the memory close to spec.

As mentioned in above posts you have some shortcomings to overcome but a mild OC should not be all that difficult to achieve once you figure out what you need to do and its well worth your time. But if you are using the on-board video its just going to drag the performance down regardless of the mild OC. The OC will help a bit, but not nearly as much as a little OC and a stand alone PCI-e video card. Any video card.

could someone point me in the direction of a good guide to explain the steps i need to take to OC. i have never attempted this before and i really dont want to break my gear just fiddling around with stuff i dont understand. i have googled it but im having trouble condensing the info and figuring out what is relevant to me and my little q8200.

Never been able to get mine stable over 2.7GHz on an evga 750i FTW SLI. Not a great overclocker.

yeah im thinking of just leaving it stock. i decided not to buy SC2 so im not really worried about that game anymore, but i was reexamining the possibility due to poor performance in metro 2033 after installing my new 460. well needless to say upon further research (by other people on this forum, lol) i (they) discovered that metro is not a cpu dependent game at all. turns out i forgot to install my phsyx drivers when i got the new card, doh.

anyway everyone keeps saying the g31 board is crap, and im using a stock cooler with only one case fan. dont really want to spend anymore money on computer stuff until i start my new build so a new cpu cooler is out of the question. i may grab a second fan to help keep temps down on my gpu, but i cant really see that being adequate for cpu cooling.

Back