• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q6700 vs Q9300?

F575GTC

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 9, 2007
Messages
66
Ok heres the deal,

I have a Q6700 system OCed to 3.2ghz I built last year, 4gb of ddr2 ram, 600watt p/s dfi, p35 chipset mobo, 8800gts.

my question is would going to a Q9300, Intel P45SG mobo, 8gb of ddr3 ram, 600watt p/s and maybe like a 4870x2 or gtx260 be worth it?


particularly the cpus, the q6700 vs the q9300 how do they compare? how does the q9300 oc compared to the 6700?
 
no stay with your Q6700 it will OC better......spend your money on better cooling or HD 4850.........as for the memory 4GB is enough for Vista

only 3.2GHz? i know it can do better then that read the quadcore ocing faq at overclockers forum
 
even on air cooling? im at 3.2ghz air cooled and max temps of about 38C

i think on air cooling im stuck at ~3.2ghz besides I think my ram is limited, I have tried 3.4ghz and I got BSODs.
 
If you have money to burn then most everything is worth it, if not save some and buy the HD4850 like mista recommended
wink.gif
cool2.gif
 
Im purchasing it through the intel program if I get it, so it would prob be around $230 for the Q9300, Intel P45SG, and Vista Ultimate.

I just need to know performance wise, will a Q9300 and ddr3 ram offer a increase worthy of spending $300 and a hour of setup?

or its not gonna be much faster.

either way im adding a 80gb Solid state hdd to it.
 
I just need to know performance wise, will a Q9300 and ddr3 ram offer a increase worthy of spending $300 and a hour of setup?

No. At stock speeds, the Q9300 is roughly 7% to 10% faster than the Q6700. Overclocking the Q9300 is also a bit harder due to the Q9300's 7x multiplier. Even then the max OC is roughly 3.2Ghz. DDR3 RAM offers ZERO performance increases over DDR2 800 RAM with Core 2 Duo based systems.

So the answer is no. Save or spend that $300 elsewhere. Unless a 7% performance increase is what you really want
 
Ok heres the deal,

I have a Q6700 system OCed to 3.2ghz I built last year, 4gb of ddr2 ram, 600watt p/s dfi, p35 chipset mobo, 8800gts.

my question is would going to a Q9300, Intel P45SG mobo, 8gb of ddr3 ram, 600watt p/s and maybe like a 4870x2 or gtx260 be worth it?


particularly the cpus, the q6700 vs the q9300 how do they compare? how does the q9300 oc compared to the 6700?

:) You're lucky I'm still on aderall, going to answer everyone of your questions now.
Well first off, why do you want to upgrade to a q9300? Because gaming wise q9300 is barely an improvement over q6700 (assuming same speeds so maybe like 1-2 fps delta) and they overclock the same too.

even on air cooling? im at 3.2ghz air cooled and max temps of about 38C

i think on air cooling im stuck at ~3.2ghz besides I think my ram is limited, I have tried 3.4ghz and I got BSODs.

What are the ram sticks you currently have in your pc? Can you give maker/speed or post a link on newegg to em if possible. Im guessing you have ddr2 800 which is limiting your current oc to 3.2 and you probably havent bothered yet to tweak with the fsb/ram divider.

Im purchasing it through the intel program if I get it, so it would prob be around $230 for the Q9300, Intel P45SG, and Vista Ultimate.

I just need to know performance wise, will a Q9300 and ddr3 ram offer a increase worthy of spending $300 and a hour of setup?

or its not gonna be much faster.

either way im adding a 80gb Solid state hdd to it.

Nope q9300 and ddr3 are not worth it and in fact even application wise q6700 and q9300 are neck and neck. Just get faster ddr2 ram and a gtx260/hd4870 and dont even bother wasting money on a newer lga775 mobo now that i7 is here. For the same amount of money you'd get a higher oc and a better gpu.
/adderall out
 
ok i've been out of the pc loop for a while last time I bought stuff ddr2 800 was the fastest out there so some questions.


1) whats faster than ddr2 800 and will it work in a mobo that supports ddr2 800??

2) what card? is a X4870 X2 needed? or will a single GTX260 or X4870 1gb of ram be enough tor un games like crysis or far cry 2 on max settings on a 1680x1050 res.

3) how much will a solid state hard drive improve performace over dual 16MB cache SATA II 320gb seagate hdds running in raid 0?

4) whats the safest bet on max OC on air cooling on a G0 stepping Q6700? my ram is the AXE ram by Transcend
http://cgi.ebay.com/Transcend-2gb-k...egoryZ111425QQihZ017QQitemZ270267577912QQrdZ1
ram I have sorry about the ebay link cant find it on newegg anymore.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
1) DDR2 1066 and DDR2 1000 RAM are faster than DDR2 800 RAM. However if the mobo does not support those RAM speeds, the RAM will downclock themselves down to DDR2 800 RAM speeds. However do note that, ouside of overclocking, there is no benefit to running higher speed RAM or having the FSB and RAM ratio at anything higher than 1:1 with C2D CPUs

2) For FC2 and Crysis, a GTX260 and HD4870 1GB is enough for near max settings at the least.

3) Hardly noticeable

4) If you go with a 1:1 ratio, that DDR2 800 RAM should not limit you whatsoever:

Stated FSB/4 = Actual FSB
Actual FSB x 4 = Stated FSB
Multiplier x Actual FSB = CPU Speed
1:1 Ratio: 2 x Actual FSB = RAM Speed
1:1 Ratio: FSB = 1/2 RAM speed
Note that C2D systems don't see a performance increase with any ratio higher than 1:1

Q6700:
Multi x Actual FSB, Stated FSB, RAM Speed = Clock Speed
10 x 266Mhz, 1066Mhz, DDR2 533 RAM = 2.66Ghz <== Stock Speeds
10 x 333Mhz, 1333Mhz, DDR2 667 RAM = 3.33Ghz <== Good OC
10 x 400Mhz, 1600Mhz, DDR2 800 RAM = 4Ghz <== Only if you're EXTREMELY lucky and using water cooling.

So no need to replace the RAM as it is good for a max theoritical OC of 4GHz. Just make sure that the CPU temp is under 65C load and the voltage under 1.5V.
 
well I currently have a little money to burn and im gonna pick up 8gb of better ram in OCZ or some better company than transcend, and a new card.

thanks for the help

now who wants to help?

what card is the best for around $200-$300? I am running vista Ultimate 64-bit, I want to just be able to install a game max out the settings or close to it and run it smoothly (dont forget I dont run super high resolutions).

I dont mind if its ATi or Nvidia, my mobo supports Crossfire so I would prob consider a X4870 and later on crossfire it, but
I have always had bad expirences with ATi cards running hot.

the Nvidia GTX260 896MB i found for $270 but how does that stack to the X4870 512mb and how does it perform as a single card?

so its either this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161247

or this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130370

and I only have a 600watt P/S but its SLI certified has 2 12volt rails at 22amps each and is 80% efficient so I need something that will run with that P/S either of those crads should be fine.
 
and I only have a 600watt P/S but its SLI certified has 2 12volt rails at 22amps each and is 80% efficient so I need something that will run with that P/S either of those crads should be fine.
Ok, what model 600W PSU do you have? This is very important information for us to know. Unfortunately, not all SLI certified PSUs are of decent quality AND some companies have a history of falsifying SLI certification. So we need to know the PSU.

Also, go through these reviews to see how the cards stack up against one another:
http://hardocp.com/reviews.html?cat=MyxHUFUgLyBWaWRlbyBDYXJkcyxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==
 
man, the 4870 1gb and the 260 OC 896mb offer almost similar performance, so I dont know. any help here?

will running at 1680x1050 max that big of a difference vs 1920x1200 which is what all the games were tested at?

all im looking for is max settings (doesnt have to have max AA or AF) at 1680x1050 with smooth game play like 30-70fps...

i dunno...4870 or 260... the 280s and 4870x2s are different price ranges right?

Also its a Rosewill 600 RD600N-2SB-SL-BK 600W

also did ati finally integrate fan control on their drivers that work in 64-bit? last ati card i had was a x1950pro agp and the fan control never worked correctly in 64-bit.
 
man, the 4870 1gb and the 260 OC 896mb offer almost similar performance, so I dont know. any help here?

will running at 1680x1050 max that big of a difference vs 1920x1200 which is what all the games were tested at?

all im looking for is max settings (doesnt have to have max AA or AF) at 1680x1050 with smooth game play like 30-70fps...

i dunno...4870 or 260... the 280s and 4870x2s are different price ranges right?

Also its a Rosewill 600 RD600N-2SB-SL-BK 600W

also did ati finally integrate fan control on their drivers that work in 64-bit? last ati card i had was a x1950pro agp and the fan control never worked correctly in 64-bit.


1. 4870x2
2. GTX280
3. 4870
4. Core 216
5. 260
6. 4850

number one being the best 6 being the lowest........4870 is faster then the 260
 
what about the ati cards running hot? does ati have fan control in their drivers now? and if so are they supported under 64-bit?
 
what about the ati cards running hot? does ati have fan control in their drivers now? and if so are they supported under 64-bit?

Yes they have fan control now and yes they are supported under 64bit.

Yes the performance between the HD4870 1GB, GTX260 and GTX260+ are pretty much the same. Now what you have to look for is what company has the better support and warranty. For max settings at 1680x1050, any three of those cards will work.

Oh and replace your PSU while you're at it. That Rosewill PSU is built by Solytech, a PSu manufacturer well known for making crappy/shitty PSUs. I highly highly doubt that PSU is capable of 350W let alone 600W. Don't take a chance and get that PSU replace before it does harm to your system. Here's a cheap but very good replacement:
Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU - $70
 
to be honest with you I have had this thing for a year and its never failed me, runs VERY stable and has strong rails so says my mobo and voltage software.
 
to be honest with you I have had this thing for a year and its never failed me, runs VERY stable and has strong rails so says my mobo and voltage software.

That's the problem there. No software or motherboard ever reads the voltages correctly/accurately on a PSU. You need to use a digital multi-meter in order to get the correct voltages.

If you want to see how bad a Deer/Solytech made PSU is, read this review:
http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTM5NywxMSwsaGVudGh1c2lhc3Q=

And that's only a 460W, not like a 600W like yours. That does not bode well.
 
Hey F575GTC whats your budget max?

also before you go out and buy more expensive ram try doing what Danny bui suggested.

4) If you go with a 1:1 ratio, that DDR2 800 RAM should not limit you whatsoever:

Stated FSB/4 = Actual FSB
Actual FSB x 4 = Stated FSB
Multiplier x Actual FSB = CPU Speed
1:1 Ratio: 2 x Actual FSB = RAM Speed
1:1 Ratio: FSB = 1/2 RAM speed
Note that C2D systems don't see a performance increase with any ratio higher than 1:1

Q6700:
Multi x Actual FSB, Stated FSB, RAM Speed = Clock Speed
10 x 266Mhz, 1066Mhz, DDR2 533 RAM = 2.66Ghz <== Stock Speeds
10 x 333Mhz, 1333Mhz, DDR2 667 RAM = 3.33Ghz <== Good OC
10 x 400Mhz, 1600Mhz, DDR2 800 RAM = 4Ghz <== Only if you're EXTREMELY lucky and using water cooling.

Do you have options in the mobos bios for adjusting ram speeds / timing / voltage?
 
Do you have options in the mobos bios for adjusting ram speeds / timing / voltage?

Yes for many mid to high-end mobos, and some low-end, you have options to adjust RAM speeds, timings and voltages.
 
You have a P35 chipset so if you ever want to double up your vid cards without replacing your mobo you will want to go with ATI. You will also need to check if your current P35 board has 2 PCIe x16 slots if this is in your future. I'm going to have to agree with the previous poster's about the reputation of your PSU. A quality PSU is very cheap insurance when your powering that many dollars worth of equipment. Also a good PSU can easily last you through another rebuild later on down the road. So to summarize:

Check your mobo for 2x PCIe slots
If it has them your good for ATI Crossfire down the road, go for the 4870
Stick with the Q6700 and maybe tweak it a little more for some extra
Toss the PSU and get a good Antec or Corsair unit

None of these upgrades are incompatible with a core i7 build if you go that direction in the next year or two.
 
my budget is technically not limited but since i have 2 consoles already pc is gonna be a 3rd gaming system I dont want a $350+ video card...

my mobo is fully adjustable its a dfi LANparty UT P35, very stable might I add.

I just never messed with the timings just fsb and tiny bits of voltage, (the timings are also fully adjustable too)

my mobo has 3 pci, 2 pci-e x16 and 1 or 2 pci-e x2
 
Upgrade your graphics to dual 4850's+ (I Say + because if you have the money get a 4870 X2 you wont regret it)

Other than that I would leave your system alone!

I just wasted money upgrading to a p45 from a p35, with no gain to speak of.
 
like i said even though i dont have alimit i personally dont want to spend $500 on a card....

im prob going with a 4870 and later on pick up another one.
 
like i said even though i dont have alimit i personally dont want to spend $500 on a card....

im prob going with a 4870 and later on pick up another one.

And a better PSU right?
 
Back
Top