Q6600

no what is FSB? what the heck does FSB have to do with anything?

Unless you are getting a hell of a deal the Q6600 is not worth it.

I swear some of you are just getting off the newbie bus...

Here it is, short and to the point.

Motherboards that support 1066 FSB, and don't already have a Q6600 would be ill-advised to not upgrade to a Q6600; if their usage determined the need for a quad.

The Kentsfield's are the pennacle of the 775 chipset @ 1066.

I purchased my Q6600 SLACR nearly 2 years ago now......never overclocked it. I assume it would be a good OC'r though as it was an early batch. My FPSs and video encoding still don't overwhelm it so, oddly enough, I have little itch to upgrade to anything in the CPU area.

I'm in the same boat, except I ended up with a B3. I was caught up in the frenzy at the time, shortly after the release of the E6750 and E6850, and got unlucky on the lottery. I mean, it does 3.0GHz at stock voltage and in 2 years I haven't felt the itch to upgrade it like I have twice with my video card. Definitely the best CPU I've ever owned.

I'm in the same boat, except I ended up with a B3. I was caught up in the frenzy at the time, shortly after the release of the E6750 and E6850, and got unlucky on the lottery. I mean, it does 3.0GHz at stock voltage and in 2 years I haven't felt the itch to upgrade it like I have twice with my video card. Definitely the best CPU I've ever owned.

Same. I just pushed mine to 3.2 and it needs nearly 1.5v to run stable. :(

It's alright though, I don't need much more than that for Arma 2 (get to 90% CPU usage, just barely) so I can deal with it.

Curse you B3 chips! :D

Same. I just pushed mine to 3.2 and it needs nearly 1.5v to run stable. :(

It's alright though, I don't need much more than that for Arma 2 (get to 90% CPU usage, just barely) so I can deal with it.

Curse you B3 chips! :D

Yikes, mine goes up to 3.5 stable with stock voltage.

Mine has always been a little bastard, on 3 different boards it just sucks the voltage down like mad.

I love my q6600... It runs beautifully at 3.6ghz. But its hot.... really really hot... Idle is around 50c @ 3.6ghz

Would I buy one now? Probably not. I would go i7 or dual-core.

Mine is a G0 and I can do 3.6ghz stable but need close to 1.5v.

I'm watercooled and it idles at 50C but only goes to 59C under load..

If I was buying a new PC now I'd go i7 as well.

Find a nearby Microcenter and you can get an i7 920 for the same price as the Q6600 on Newegg.

Back