• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

q6600 voltages for OC

Ilumine

n00b
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
39
Recently built a new computer, and got it stable at 3.0Ghz, but the vcore I have to set seems really high from what I have heard about these q6600 chips. HWMonitor shows a stable vcore of 1.34v (set it in bios as 1.3875 but i heard this was common). Idle temps are as follows:

core 0: 44c
core 1: 40c
core 2: 35c
core 3: 35c
CPU: 30c

Under load (prime95) core0 reaches to the low to mid 60s, the other cores are around mid to high 50s. The temp in the room is around 70 Farenhight. Shouldn't I be able to get a much better OC out of this chip?

Any help would be appreciated.

q6600 GO 2.4 (3.0 oc), 2x2gb gskill ddr2 800 F26400CL5-2GBPQ (1000mhz 5-5-5-15), Gigabyte EP35-DSL3 (bios F6a), OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W ATX12V, Nvidia 8800gt
 
typcially yes it does seem it should go a little higher, 3.2 is a good goal for that chip and 3.4 in many cases and sometimes more if you happen to get a really good one. That last sentance has a lot of "ifs" missing as a lot depends on the supporting hardware.

One "if" is the motherboard. The 3L is a great board but it is a budget board and the cpu voltage regulation and some other underlying features (clock chips and their associated circuity, number of board layers) are not in the same class as the 3R or DQ6 models.

I would be very concerned about making sure there is a fair amount of air moving over the components around the cpu socket on that board if OCing a quad over 3.0GHz (heck even at stock it is a good idea if you do not use the stock downward blowing heatsink).

The other thing I will mention is that the bios sets a lot of settings you do not see in the bios and I have discovered that "sneaking up" on an overclock value is better than big jumps or just banging in some numbers. Clear the CMOS, load optimized defaults, set you memory timings and voltage and any other options not releated to cpu/FSB speeds you need. Memory performance on normal.
Set Vcore 1.425 (bit high but not alarmingly so, chip is rated for 1.55V and later you can see if you can reduce it from 1.425) MCH +.1 (if you have a fan on the MCH +.2) and start off at 333FSB and go up 20MHz at a time rebooting as you go. Booting to a memtest86+ cd is a great idea, its fast and if the first couple of subtests that run in just a minute are passed you can be fairly certain all is well. It lets the board react and adjust during boot. Make sure the memory mulitplier stays at 2.0 until you get the cpu sorted out. Once you get over your 3.0GHz you have discovered works, use 10MHz or less jumps. Mine gave out at 390 (would not boot) , windows/stress testing unstable at 385 and 375 is like a rock, but this motherboard had been running a 6300 at 475MHz for the last two years and so it shows that the differing cpus affect the motherboards just by plugging them in.

The above may or may not help, just a suggestion, but with good airflow to the MCH and the stuff around the cpu socket 3.2 should not be a big problem.

You did not mention a heatsink, the above also assumes you have replaced the stock one. I have seen them get to 3.2 by forcing the fan to 100% but its pretty noisy and at its limit.
 
lol your pretty much bang on my temps, except i have a B3 at 3ghz.

should be a little bit lower, have you tried remounting your cooler?

hows the airflow in your case?
 
Airflow in my case is good, got a LianLi2000B a couple years back. I have an artic cooler freezing 7 pro attached. I also picked up a small 30mm fan and attached it to the northbridge. The artic cooler fan is pointing to the back of the case, which is right up against my cases out-take fans.
 
I too have a Artic Cooler Freezer Pro / Q6600, however if your fan of your AC freezer is next to your out take fans, the fans are fighting each other as the AC freezer is meant to blow air across the fins, not pull air from them. Remount your from the other side.
 
Yeah, I just read the pamphlet that came with it that SHOWS the air flow direction, I feel pretty stupid right now. I also went to home depot to see if i could make my own spring compression screws, but I didn't have any money on me so that will have to wait. Thanks for your help.:)
 
I pull off 3.4ghz with a CPUID vcore reading of 1.41v on load. Max temp under 100% load is 67C. For some reason I can't seem to get it any faster, but it's sufficient for most purposes.
 
With my G0 and a TRUE 120 I hit 3.6GHz easily on 1.35V, so if you are wanting to run it at 3.0Ghz, you should consider knocking back the CPU core voltage..
 
I have mine running at 3.0 at 1.35V (it generally uses less, but I like to play it safe) at around 38-42C, that's good enough for me
 
does this sound right? mine is at 3.0 and i swear its at 1.25v, i'll have to check when i get home. If so i'll have to bump it up for my winter space heater.
 
I am running 1.38v on my G0 Q6600 doing 3.2ghz max temps are very low 40's like 42ish.
 
Here are my results with a Q6600 G0 with a VID of 1.25v, a XigmaTek S-1283, and an Abit IP35 Pro. Reported voltages are with a Prime95 small FFT load.

3.2Ghz - 1.32v Bios / 1.26v reported
3.4Ghz - 1.42v Bios / 1.34v reported
3.5Ghz - 1.48v Bios / 1.40v reported
3.6Ghz - 1.53v Bios / 1.46v reported

My temps at 3.5 max out around 72-73C at 29C ambient. At 3.6, it's like 78-80 at those temps, so 3.6 is really only feasible during the winter, where ambient temps drop down to 22C max.

While folding at 3.5 on all 4 cores, it's around 61C with 29C ambient temps.
 
On every G0 I've used I was able to achieve 3.0Ghz at VID voltage. My own G0 does 3.0 at 1.275v(bios set & chip VID) and reports 1.21-1.23v in CPUZ.

IMO hitting 3.0 shouldn't be hard at stock volts.
 
Back
Top