• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q6600 Running 24/7

gc86

Gawd
2FA
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
670
Ok so I have a question for you all, i've been running my Q6600 at 3.0Ghz with a 1.35 vcore set in BIOS for 24/7 for almost 5 monthes now, almost 24/7 except for a couple hours of downtime, im wondering if this is safe.. the cores are between 65-60 celsius all the time. I'd think that the life of the CPU would be shortened, what are your thoughts?
 
1.35 vcore is pretty low. Temps are fine as well.
You will be safe with the info you have provided.
 
what temps should I start to be worried at? btw the cpu is lapped and im using the stock cooler as of now
 
I run my Q6600 at 3.0GHz with 1.29 vCore set in the BIOS and i have never crashed. Temps are usually around 30c. Obviously with that vCore i am not by any means Prime stable, but my system has never crashed during normal usage.
 
I've been running mine at 3.0 1.275v, prime & intel burmtest stable for roughly 7 months 24/7 with no ill effects. Idle temps are in the 30's with load temps in the high 40's / low 50's. Just recently I took it to 3.2 @ 1.34v and temps only jumped to mid 50's under load.

Get a new cooler on that thing. Running in the mid 60's at idle isn't bad, but certainly isn't going to contribute to the longevity of the chip.
 
Unless you're hitting 75+C, there's absolutely nothing to worry about. Even those temps would technically be safe, even though they are high.
 
Seconding a better cooler. With a Xigmatek S1283, I'm at 3.2 Ghz / 1.32v BIOS doing distributed computing 24/7 and core temps are acceptable at <60C during summer with ambient room temps of 30 degrees C. During the cooler months, with ambient temps around 24C and below, it's at 3.4 Ghz at 1.34 measured volts / 1.40v bios. At 3.4 Ghz / 1.40v Bios/ BOINC and GPU Folding running at 100% on all four cores, temps are 52-48C with a room temp of 23C.
 
Your voltage, speed and temps aren't anything to really worry about. Like the others, I would suggest dropping the stock cooler and get something better and it doesn't need to be anything huge like the TRUE. You're only running a moderate overclock so it's not a big deal.

I have a couple which are clocked higher with higher vcore and have been running about the same temps all summer and I'm not worried about them at all.

 
Back
Top