Q6600 Overclocking Advices Needed.

MCH is memory controller hub and PWM is pulse width modulation.
If it's passing stress testing and is fine without any weird errors, you don't have to change anything.

But if you want to start going higher, you'd need to start increasing your voltages.

I have my vcore set to 1.31 I think. Just changed it an hour ago & can't remember.LOL
Memory voltage is at 1.92.
As for MCH & PWM, I didn't see those in my bios so I guess it's bios specific.

I'd take 5-5-5-15@1100 over 4-4-4-12@800
but thats just me
I think there are some reviews on timing vs frequency in terms of performance
OCing ram is just like OCing cpu
if you do it right, you can gain performance w/o losing stability

Another thing, does 1t make much difference on the c2d platform?

And, for overclocking the ram - higher clock & laxed timings? or lower clock & tight timings?

Also, Is there really a stability/performance cost not doing 1:1?

thanks =)

Prime95 is going stable at 3.4ghz. (425 x 8)
And memory at ddr1062 or something like that, (1.250 ratio) I think..
Is it any difference trying to add a few more mhz to the fsb to match 1066?

And can my ballistix pc6400 do cas3 at ddr800? Or is it an impossibility.
Also, I can seem to run pretty stable at T1 - but I did have a few crashes during gaming before in regards to memory leak.
But I'm not totally sure if it was due to T1... Does it even matter on core2 platform? From what I've read, memory timings don't really affect the performance as much, due to the lack of a memory controller built onto the actual chip.

It seems to need way over the voltages I'm willing to apply.
And the temps shoot through the roof.

Currently at 3.4 full load temps are about 6degrees above my 3.2 overclock, at 66 degrees.
When I try to do 3.6 which is only 200mhz more, the temps (especially the pwm) worries me.

Does it take that much more for just a 200mhz increase? >_>
If it does, I'm not even sure if it's worth it lol...

Also, having my ram at 1066, other than synthetic benchmarks - does it improve real world performance?

I'd try to go for 3.6G
no particular reason other than getting extra 50% "for free" (also reminds me of the good old days where almost every celeron 300MHz could go for 450MHz )
regarding PWM
a 40mm fan over the cooler is good enough for me (35c idle, 50c load. Maybe when the push pins wears out, I will try something else)

P.S.
66c@prime load is not bad
You rarely get all 4 cores at 100% utilization in everyday usage

P.P.S
I wouldn't worry about ram @1062 or 1066
no difference whatsoever
just note that if you don't have a mem cooler
keep ddr2 vol<2.2v
otherwise lower the ratio in order to lower the vol

So where do you actually place the fan? Just let it hang there? Or is there something that's made so that I can attach it.
Have you done the heatpipe mod too?

It just seems that I can't seem to reach 3.6 without going overboard on the voltages.
I don't know which voltage reading is true. Because when I set it in the bios, programs such as cpu-z shows it way lower.
So I can't figure out if I can add more, or if cpu-z is reporting it wrong..

Regarding the ram, I have it at that speed at 2.2v.
When they say, rated voltage is 2.2 - does that mean it's the max? And preferrably it should be ran lower?

Does having the timings lower affect general windows performance?
Seems windows load times have gotten a bit slow.. Maybe it's just me..

=X

So where do you actually place the fan? Just let it hang there? Or is there something that's made so that I can attach it.
Have you done the heatpipe mod too?
I use TRUE base/screw to stabilize the fan
I don't have a pic of my setup but here is a good reference pic that I got from the internet (you can actually try to stick a bigger fan in there)
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q62/steelsix/033.jpg
also
I didn't do the "heatpipe mod"
but I did replace NB/SB coolers w/ HR-05/SLI (kept PWM stock cooler)

regarding cpu frequency
if you think vcore is too high
just keep it at 3.4G (which is more than enough)

So do I just purchase any small fan and placing it blowing to the pwm?
Cool, thanks for the pic. =)

Do you recommend I replace the heatpipes also? I've read that alot of people complain that there's no full contact between the heatsinks. Did you notice that when you were replacing the coolers?

Also, generally the voltages specified by cpu-z should be pretty accurate correct?

It's accurate, but you can't get more accurate than a DMM ;) I also recommend a vdroop mod.

I'm a total noob when it comes to voltage mods.. When it comes to soldering and whatnot.. I have no clue >_>

Currently I want to do the voltage mod and replace my heatsinks for the nb/sb, but I have no clue on how to go on about doing that. and I'm pretty much afraid I'll kill my motherboard. lol

I'm a total noob when it comes to voltage mods.. When it comes to soldering and whatnot.. I have no clue >_>

Currently I want to do the voltage mod and replace my heatsinks for the nb/sb, but I have no clue on how to go on about doing that. and I'm pretty much afraid I'll kill my motherboard. lol
Consider paying someone who knows what they're doing to do it for you. The heatpipe mod is NOTHING. It's completely easy and doesn't require any experience, just common sense. The vdroop mod is more experience though :p

Back