Q6600 or Q9300

Tobit

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2010/May 2011
Joined
Dec 12, 2005
Messages
5,145
So, I am looking at buying my first quad on Friday when I get paid. This will be a dedicated folder runing Linux SMP.

I was originally looking at going with a Q6600 because this seems to be the best bang for the buck. However, I've noticed Q9300's are now coming down. This morning @ the egg, Q6600's are $220 and Q9300's are $285. The extra L2 on the Q9300's is very tempting at this price difference.

I'm not a hardcore overclocker but I'd be looking at trying to get 3.0 to 3.2 GHz out of either one. Both should be attainable on either chip I would think.

What do you guys, and girls, think?

 
Well you see there's the problem, the Q9300's don't have more L2 cache than the Q6600. I'd seriously go Q6600 over the 9300 any day. The low multi and lower cache of the 9300 is a bad combo for overclockers and folders imo. So unless you feel like jumping to the 9450 with its 12megs of cache instead of the Q9300's 6, then the Q6600 is most likely for you.
 
Q6600 simple choice better multiplier... cheaper and microcenter has it for 199... fyi.

Q6600 with a TRUE = 3.2ghz easy

Remember the Q6600 is 9x and the 9300 is 8x that means to get 3.2 on the 9300 you need 400FSB, where on the Q6600 you only need 356 FSB which means you can also pretty much gaurantee you'll find a mobo that can run that... all 333FSB mobo's will hit 356 pretty easily...

just my .02



 
Gotcha, I see now how the cache is organized on the Q9300.
 
Q6600 simple choice better multiplier... cheaper and microcenter has it for 199... fyi.
No MicroCenter or Fry's here even. Closest MicroCenter is 1.25 hours away and at todays gas prices, combined with the fact I'd have to pay a very high sales tax at this Boston MicroCenter, it isn't worth it. :( We don't have sales tax here so I limit going across the border to buy stuff as much as possible. Even more considering I just paid $3.50 for gas.

I pretty much buy everything from NewEgg these days.

 
Q6600 simple choice better multiplier... cheaper and microcenter has it for 199... fyi.

Q6600 with a TRUE = 3.2ghz easy

Remember the Q6600 is 9x and the 9300 is 8x that means to get 3.2 on the 9300 you need 400FSB, where on the Q6600 you only need 356 FSB which means you can also pretty much gaurantee you'll find a mobo that can run that... all 333FSB mobo's will hit 356 pretty easily...

just my .02




I hate to nitpic here but the Q9300 doesn't have an 8x multi. The Q9450/X3350 have the 8x multi. The 9300 has a 7.5 multi which is even tougher to overclock. Just want it to be clear as buying a cpu is a big decision :)
 
Guess I'll stick with my original .plan and go with a Q6600 - I just hope all the G0's haven't dried up and I can find one and don't get stuck with a lemon stepping.

 
I hate to nitpic here but the Q9300 doesn't have an 8x multi. The Q9450/X3350 have the 8x multi. The 9300 has a 7.5 multi which is even tougher to overclock. Just want it to be clear as buying a cpu is a big decision :)

oh yeah i forgot that 7.5... holy crap that sucks.. so you need like a 427fsb even worse but you are right.

 
Guess I'll stick with my original .plan and go with a Q6600 - I just hope all the G0's haven't dried up and I can find one and don't get stuck with a lemon stepping.

G0 is only guaranteed at Clubit.com. There are still some sporadic instances of people getting a B3 at newegg.com/frys.com. I have seen an individual as recently as late last week getting a B3 from frys.com.
 
Hmm, I guess $224 shipped from ClubIT.com isn't bad to know I'd be guaranteed a G0.

 
I got all three of my quads from Club IT just to make sure I got a G0. The worst one of the three is currently sitting at 3.51Ghz and that's on a P965 Gigabyte motherboard.

My friend ended up ordering a Q6600 from newegg a few weeks ago and he ended up with a G0 but it's not guaranteed. I'm half tempted to swap him my quad@3.51 for the quad he got as the vid on his is like 1.275v which is a tad lower than any of mine I believe. Since he doesn't overclock, or doesn't overclock much it would be a good trade for me and he wouldn't lose anything out of the deal.

 
At this point I would be happy to have a Q6600 even if it was a B3. It would run circles around anything I have running now. :)

 
Back
Top