Q6600 Multiplier problem

bmorton18

Limp Gawd
I'm having a problem with the CPU Multiplier with the Q6600. In BIOS it shows up as x9 but when I load windows and load CPU-Z it is showing x6. I'm running the processor on an Abit IP35 Pro. Any ideas on what would cause this? Also, Core Temp will sometimes show the correct FSB with the correct Mulitiplier. Has anyone else had any problems with CPU-Z?

You probably have EIST or whatever like that turned on in the BIOS. What this does is dynamically drops the speed of the processor when the extra performance is not needed. If you load down all cores and then fire up CPU-Z I'm sure you will see the multiplier at the correct 9x. Either that or just shut that power saving stuff off like I do.

Yes, that's EIST. There's no reason to turn it off unless it causes you problems though - it doesn't mean the system is running slow because it will automatically return to full speed once the CPU is under load. It just means that the CPU can run a little cooler and use a little less power on idle.

I'm having a problem with the CPU Multiplier with the Q6600. In BIOS it shows up as x9 but when I load windows and load CPU-Z it is showing x6. I'm running the processor on an Abit IP35 Pro. Any ideas on what would cause this? Also, Core Temp will sometimes show the correct FSB with the correct Mulitiplier. Has anyone else had any problems with CPU-Z?

Ah. I was going to post this same question. Will the feature affect overclocking the proc?

@lodingi - the only effects will be that your multi will drop from whatever down to 6 @ idle. So a q6600 @ 9x333 will bounce around between 9x333 on load to 6x333 on idle. No ill effects on my system. It's too bad one cannot define the vcore for a speedstep_low state as well as a speedstep_off state. My q6600 can do 1.000 V running 6x333 and 1.2625 V running 9x333. Oh well.

@lodingi - the only effects will be that your multi will drop from whatever down to 6 @ idle. So a q6600 @ 9x333 will bounce around between 9x333 on load to 6x333 on idle. No ill effects on my system. It's too bad one cannot define the vcore for a speedstep_low state as well as a speedstep_off state. My q6600 can do 1.000 V running 6x333 and 1.2625 V running 9x333. Oh well.

Yeah, I agree with that.. I was disappointed to find that setting any manual Vcore causes SpeedStep to stop changing the voltage. I'm actually running my Q6600 at stock voltage (1.25V), but leaving it at Auto causes the BIOS to overvolt it, so I have to set it manually.

It is 9x333, but I've not had time to work out whether it's minimal yet; I'll have a go when I do get some time. 1.25V is the VID for my chip.

The BIOS tries to put it to 1.35V as soon as it's at 2.7GHz, which was entirely uncalled for and makes it run much hotter.

Yeah.. manually set it. Start around 1.1 and work your way up... errors from prime95 will happen quicker on your way up.

sigh, speedstep again.

Motherboard makers really need to have that set to disabled...

Yeah.. manually set it. Start around 1.1 and work your way up... errors from prime95 will happen quicker on your way up.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Motherboard makers really need to have that set to disabled...

I disagree.. we could do with less people saying 'OMG multiplier is 6x :(' but it's generally a good feature otherwise.

Thanks for the info Graysky. I disabled EIST in the BIOS but I noticed my CPU's were still throttling. Is there another setting to disable?

@lodingi - no, my BIOS also has a speedstep [disable/enable] but the setting has no effect; the o/s will still drop it on idle.

Though really I'd stop worrying about turning off something that's not doing any harm.

When you fully load the cpu, does it still stay with the X6 mult?

I have the same situation. When idle, my mult reverts to X6. But as soon as I put any load on the CPU, it jumps up to X9, where it belongs.

Don

That's the way EIST is supposed to work - it drops the multiplier to 6x while idle, but increases it to 9x on load. If it stayed at 6x all the time then the multiplier would have been set to 6x in the BIOS, most probably. The OP says "Core Temp will sometimes show the correct FSB with the correct Mulitiplier", which suggests it's working correctly.

That's the way EIST is supposed to work - it drops the multiplier to 6x while idle, but increases it to 9x on load. If it stayed at 6x all the time then the multiplier would have been set to 6x in the BIOS, most probably. The OP says "Core Temp will sometimes show the correct FSB with the correct Mulitiplier", which suggests it's working correctly.

I can confirm, when the procs are needed they come alive.

Back