• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q6600 - High temps

MrHood22

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
4,312
Specs are in my Sig. I just put the FSB at 333 and my idle is in the high 30's and max is around 80. Seems extremely high because it's on an xigmatek cooler. I'm burning/encoding a movie now and my temps are 74/70/67/60.

I did just put the Q6600 in though so maybe the AS5 is not "broken in" yet?
 
You should not have temps that high. It sounds like it's not mounted correctly or the CPU and/or heatsink need to be lapped. Even with a really high ambient temp, you should not have that much difference in idle and load temps.

My Q6600@3.6 with TRUE and an ambient temp of 70F is currently running 50C at full load. I don't really know what the idle temp is but I would guess it would be around 30C. Both the heatsink and the CPU have been lapped but that dropped the temp maybe 3-4C at most and the TRUE needed lapping rather badly.

 
Same CPU / heatsink as you, with mine at 3.15ghz (G0) and on Intel Burn Test it touches 60 briefly, rarely breaks 50 in most things except prime/IBT

I would reseat the cooler, check how well you were making contact based on the thermal paste imprint
 
Back
Top