• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q6600 GO Brick Wall!!!

pistyll

n00b
Joined
Jul 14, 2007
Messages
38
Hi,
well looks like I hit the wall I am totally stumped now I dont want to risk frying my cpu by putting too much voltage through but hey I just KNOW this chip has a bit more overclocking in it what can I try next guys I am at 363fsb multipplier is at 9 fsb strap=400 36% o/clock
vcore is 1.4875 in bios 1.424v in cpuz
mem 727 1:1 4-4-4-12 2t 2.1v
n/b 1.40v
stable in p95 but any higher even with vcore increase unstable
temps 38 idle 50 load

I guess what I am saying is how much vcore in bios is safe for my Q6600 go stepping??

Thanks
 
Vcore in the BIOS doesn't really mean anything. The vcore after vdroop while under load is what matters. The general rule for the 65nm quads is not to go above 1.5v. The highest vcore I run out of my three Q6600s is 1.44 whereas the vcore in BIOS is set to well above 1.5.

Just make sure your cooling can handle the extra voltage and clock speed.

 
After seeing this in action I would reccomend giving it a try to see if you are even stable where you are right now:

Actually, there's better than Prime. Try this: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=197835

It's a more user-friendly implementation of the same method Intel uses to stress-test their CPUs at the factory. Apparently, 8 minutes is about equivalent to 30-40 hours of Prime.

If that fails, you got work to do just to hold the speed you are at now.
 
I get random memory errors doing 2 things- 1) playing HL2 and 2) using firefox 3. I ran this linpack test and it came back perfect every time. I can also encode video with all 4 cores at 100% for 5-6 hours without any problems. So I really don't know what to look for next. memtest ran all night with no problems either. Any suggestions?
Q6600 @ 3.0 on a MSI P6N SLI 650i board and 2 G of Corsair XMS. XPpro.
 
You could always try 8x450. I know my G0 is pickier about the multiplier than the bus, and I can get 8x450 and 7x500 working like a charm (I can even post bios at 8x500, but I don't intend to push it until I get my new cooling solution and lap the CPU).
 
Hi,
Well I took a gamble and increases vcore in bios to 1.55v increased n/b to 1.55v fsb strap to 400 and fsb of 378 and loosened the memory timings to 5-5-5-15 2t 2.1v that gave me an overclock of 3.402Ghz
ran p95 stable!!!! but at a price 44 deg at idle 56 deg loaded are those temps too high and is the 1.5vcore too much?? if I reduce vcore 1 notch down to 1.5375vcore p95 becomes unstable for 24/7 use I think I prefer the 3.268Ghz overclock with the reduced vcore as performance is reasonable at the speed and I dont really want to fry my chip just yet!!!
 
Back it off just a tad and run the tighter mem times. Will give your system as a whole, better number.
 
What is the vcore after vdroop while all cores are running 100%? That's the vcore you need to worry about, not what you set in the BIOS.

I have at least two of my Q6600s set above 1.5v in BIOS but the actual vcore after vdroop is around 1.42-1.44.

 
I only put 1.6v for suicide runs. But I would feel comfortable w/ 1.5v 24/7 knowing its really 1.48
 
Hi,
ok this is how its looking at the moment I have managed to get a p95 stable overclock with the following settings:

CPU Properties:
CPU Type QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
CPU Alias Kentsfield
Engineering Sample No
CPUID CPU Name Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
CPUID Revision 000006FBh
Core Voltage 1.325 V

CPU Speed:
CPU Clock 3402.0 MHz (original: 2400 MHz, overclock: 42%)
CPU Multiplier 9.0x
CPU FSB 378.0 MHz (original: 266 MHz, overclock: 42%)
Memory Bus 378.0 MHz
DRAM:FSB Ratio 1:1

CPU Cache:
L1 Code Cache 32 KB per core
L1 Data Cache 32 KB per core
L2 Cache 2x 4 MB (On-Die, ASC, Full-Speed)

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 64-1105-000001-00101111-031808-Bearlake$A0753001_BIOS DATE: 03/18/08 14:44:50 VER: 08.00.12
Motherboard Name Unknown

Chipset Properties:
Motherboard Chipset Intel Bearlake G31/G33/P35
Memory Timings 4-4-4-12 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

SPD Memory Modules:
DIMM1: OCZ OCZ2P800R21G 1 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 400 MHz) (4-5-5-13 @ 333 MHz) (3-4-4-10 @ 270 MHz)
DIMM2: OCZ OCZ2P800R21G 1 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 400 MHz) (4-5-5-13 @ 333 MHz) (3-4-4-10 @ 266 MHz)
DIMM3: OCZ OCZ2P800R21G 1 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 400 MHz) (4-5-5-13 @ 333 MHz) (3-4-4-10 @ 270 MHz)
DIMM4: OCZ OCZ2P800R21G 1 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 400 MHz) (4-5-5-13 @ 333 MHz) (3-4-4-10 @ 266 MHz)

BIOS Properties:
System BIOS Date 03/18/08
Video BIOS Date 05/06/07
DMI BIOS Version 1105

Graphics Processor Properties:
Video Adapter Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro
GPU Code Name RV570 (PCI Express x16 1002 / 7280, Rev 00)
GPU Clock 574 MHz (original: 575 MHz)
Memory Clock 688 MHz (original: 690 MHz)


I know in the bios I am using 1.550vcore but in cpuz it shows as 1.480vcore which is correct bios or cpuz?? I am obviously hoping cpuz as that will allow me a bit of a breather and I wont be frightened of causing a small fire everytime I turn my pc on !!!! lol
 
Well mathew the reason I am not taking my Q6600 up to 4Ghz is because I am struggling keeping stable at 3.4Ghz with a heck of a lot of Vcore to get to that I am creeping towards higher a overclock but as I am sure most people will agree slowly slowly catchy monkey in other words small steps will be better than huge leaps, I would love to get to 4Ghz but I somehow dont think that is possible with this cpu as all Q6600's are not created equal and different batch numbers overclock differently I would love to track down a L7 series cpu as I believe theses are phenominal overclockers anyone got one of those that they are willing to part with???
 
Why not take the q6600 up to 4GHZ? :D:p

Because not all chips will do it.

My Q6700 needs 1.33v (CPUz) to hit 3.2, 3.6 is at 1.5v and I cannot go higher. My chip has a VID of 1.325v the same as the op's and it's a poor overclocker. (My old Q6600 needed 1.5v to hit 3.2)
 
Well mathew the reason I am not taking my Q6600 up to 4Ghz is because I am struggling keeping stable at 3.4Ghz with a heck of a lot of Vcore to get to that I am creeping towards higher a overclock but as I am sure most people will agree slowly slowly catchy monkey in other words small steps will be better than huge leaps, I would love to get to 4Ghz but I somehow dont think that is possible with this cpu as all Q6600's are not created equal and different batch numbers overclock differently I would love to track down a L7 series cpu as I believe theses are phenominal overclockers anyone got one of those that they are willing to part with???

I was able to hit the magic 4 with mine but i was also using chilled water and pumping 2.0 volts through it, but it was not stable in prime past an hour, and it is not realistic to run chilled water all of the time.
 
I know in the bios I am using 1.550vcore but in cpuz it shows as 1.480vcore which is correct bios or cpuz?? I am obviously hoping cpuz as that will allow me a bit of a breather and I wont be frightened of causing a small fire everytime I turn my pc on !!!! lol

What you see in BIOS is the voltage of the CPU at a completely idle state on all four cores and will not represent the vcore when the processor is in actual use. As the load on the processor increases, the vcore will drop. Therefore, what is noted in the BIOS as the current vcore will not be the vcore in reality when you are putting the processor under load.

 
Wait wait wait, you guys are saying that the 1.5V safe limit on a Q6600 (and by extension, Q6700 G0) is Vcore after Vdroop under load?

So in my case, I'm running 360x10 @ 1.545-1.555V BIOS (which translates to about 1.49-1.5 idle in Windows). Under load w/ Vdroop it's usually b/t 1.46 - 1.48.

So theoretically, I could set the Vcore high enough that under load and after Vdroop the Vcore would be 1.5V?

Hell I could keep my machine at 3.7 - 3.8 !! I've done p95 runs at those speeds and it's been stable but I was always under the impression that the 1.5V safe limit was idle Vcore.
 
I think the GO revisions of any C2D processors are the bottleneck for an higher oc!

I had a PD C1 revision 2.8GHZ stable at 5.3GHZ with Dry Ice...but at the end, I ended up earthing the motherboard...accidentally dropped a screwdriver onto one a' em chokes while the oc was in progress!

I miss the old Pentium Series oc's ! ={
 
Why are you strapping the fsb 400 strap? Do you run pc6400 ram and trying to see if it is your cpu holding you back?

My Q6600 @ 3.8 cpu-z
 
RE: memory erros
I have been running in to memory errors on my set up as well and found that if I have my page file set less or equal to my ram size I get memory errors (Tomb Raider - Legend would not run for example) I fiddled with settings all after noon and found that if I set my page file to 12GB min+max everything runs sweet.

Have a play and see how you get on.
 
Back
Top