Q6600 G0 stepping

Siphric_Acid

Weaksauce
In my build thread someone said that ClubIT had the G0 stepping Q6600 and Newegg did not but I was looking yesterday and they both have the same model number (BX80562Q6600). So does this mean they both are the G0 stepping? Newegg dosn't say what one it is so I'm not sure.

Newegg
ClubIT

EDIT: Oh and since your here what does OEM stand for? Does it mean you can only use it once?

Box number's mean almost nothing when I comes to Intel Processors. What you want is the 5 character sSpec code that is at the end of the box number. That tells you what stepping the processor is. Clubit gives you that information. Newegg does not.

EDIT: Oh and since your here what does OEM stand for? Does it mean you can only use it once?

OEM I think means Original Equipment Manufacturor. OEM parts are typically 'meant' to be used by System Integrators, ie companies like Dell, Maingear, Falcon, Voodoo etc. They essentially are the same parts, but typically 'extras' are stripped off. In the case of the Q6600 I believe it means that you don't get the stock heatsink/fan and there is only a 90 day warranty instead of a 3 year warranty.

They're both correct -- and, based on this thread, NewEgg randomly sells Q6600's with G0 steppings. ClubIT is the only online retailer that I know that guarantees a Q6600 with G0 stepping.

And don't get the OEM version. Get the boxed version since it comes with a 3 year warranty. Never know when you might need that warranty and that extra bit of money is worth the peace of mind.

That's a hard drive, not a CPU. Intel and AMD OEM CPUs come with 90 day warranties or so. Meanwhile, hard drive manufacturers have 3-5 year warranties on their OEM and retail drives

OEM means what I said, it just an acronym for parts that are technically for systems integrators, not retail parts usually sold to consumers at places like comp usa. Different items lose different things. Typically for hard drives they don't come with cables in the oem version I think, since integrators should have an ample supply and would rather get the bare bone cheap version instead of paying for extras. Usually just compare the retail version and the OEM version's contents if you really want to know differences since every product (and versions of the product or manufactors) is different.

OEM I think means Original Equipment Manufacturor. OEM parts are typically 'meant' to be used by System Integrators, ie companies like Dell, Maingear, Falcon, Voodoo etc. They essentially are the same parts, but typically 'extras' are stripped off. In the case of the Q6600 I believe it means that you don't get the stock heatsink/fan and there is only a 90 day warranty instead of a 3 year warranty.

i really dont understand why people say OEM.. its more logically and correct when its OME.
original manufactured equipment?

does anyone else think like me?
like.. OEM-- original equipment manufacture.. doesnt make sense.

i think it's snide of newegg not to say which revision you'll get.

here in the uk most retailers sell both. there was no distinction with which you would get for the first couple of weeks after G0 came out. now you can order either. G0 costs about £2 more tho :eek::D.

Pardon my ignorant question but can someone give me a 3 sentence run down of the differences between a G0 stepping CPU and one that isn't?

Thanks

Pardon my ignorant question but can someone give me a 3 sentence run down of the differences between a G0 stepping CPU and one that isn't?

Thanks

G0 has a lower power consumption than B3 (tdp 95w v 105 w) resulting in lower temperatures and potentially a better overclock.

it's also rated safer to run at higher temperatures (thermal spec 73.2 °C v 62.2 °C)

the difference isn't earth shattering but it is significant.

I got a G0 Q6600 from Newegg last week that is running 3.61 on air stable, amazing chip.

I got a G0 Q6600 from Newegg last week that is running 3.61 on air stable, amazing chip.

What type of cooling are you using and what temps are seeing at idle and load?

My Q6600 G0 stepping with stock Intel HSF is about 62 C and under full load on all 4 cores is 82 C.

G0 @ 3Ghz - core average 28C- ambient 20C - thermalright ultra extreme goodness. load - small ffts for 8 hours 50C.

my vid is 1.325 so i wasn't too hopeful of a great overclock. but this baby is running pretty cool on air in my akasa eclipse 62 case with only 2x120mm fans (plus the one on the TRUE).

few small experiments at 3.2, 3.4 and 3.6 lead me to believe i'll have to bump a few voltages but i'm not prepared to do that atm since i've never seen my cpu usage higher than 60% on all cores (apart from prime) - and that was when i was encoding 2 dvd's and downloading and surfing at the same time. might try to play a game at the same time when i get a couple more hdd's - read writes are the real bottleneck.

I just installed a Thermalright Ultima-90 with 1 Scythe SFF21F fan in a push configuration. My idle temp is at 50 C and my load temp is 77 C (2 instances of Orthos, each with CPU affinity on two cores).

I am running the CPU on stock voltage and getting 3.6 GHz stable. With the stock or Zalman CNPS9500 it wasn't 100% stable, but it is now.

Back