Q6600 Dead on arrival???

Buztafen

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

In the process of a new build and while benchtesting it wouldnt work.

Long story short i tested every component and came to the conclusion that it was the board that was broken (GA-EP45-DQ6) so i sent it back to Gigabyte for repair. Theyve since got back to me stating the board was found to be without fault and theyre sending it back to me.

So im a little stumped, really the only other part which could be duff is the CPU as even with just that installed the board wouldnt post. The Q6600 was brand new retail so i can return it but i want to make sure its that.

Is a duff CPU a possibility? Do they sometimes come DOA? Has this happened to anyone on this forum?

Cheers.

Did you test the board before sending it out to the manufacturere with another cpu that you know it's in working order?

Intel tests their cpus quite throughly, but of course nothing is perfect. Yes, there's still possibility that your cpu is dud.

Usually it's very rare for a cpu to arrive DOA. It's most often tested stringently before shipment by intel's QA. One thing you can do, if you don't have another board to test it on, is to take it to a local computer store and see if they can let you see if it can post or not. Often times, in my experience, they'll do it for free because it is quick and easy--usually its the small stores that wouldn't mind.

If the board is good it could be the PSU if not the cpu . What happens does anything even power on?

Usually it's very rare for a cpu to arrive DOA. It's most often tested stringently before shipment by intel's QA. One thing you can do, if you don't have another board to test it on, is to take it to a local computer store and see if they can let you see if it can post or not. Often times, in my experience, they'll do it for free because it is quick and easy--usually its the small stores that wouldn't mind.

good advice

Just got a second Q6600 from newegg and it seems to be DOA as well. I thought it was odd getting a bad CPU as well. Oh well, another RMA to add to my list :-/

Just got a second Q6600 from newegg and it seems to be DOA as well. I thought it was odd getting a bad CPU as well. Oh well, another RMA to add to my list :-/

Did you get a second one or a second dead one? Even Murphy would have an issue if you got 2 dead cpus from newegg. Maybe its not the cpus if you got 2 bad ones

2 "DOA" cpus in a roll from the egg. Pretty rare (never had one) to get one DOA. For 2 DOA's, I think you need to looking elsewhere for the problem.;)

Back