• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Q6600 and DS3L

ep3w

Gawd
Joined
Apr 4, 2008
Messages
694
I have been wanting to upgrade to a Q6600 for quite some time and have been keeping an eye out for deals on one. My main question is will a EP35-DS3L be enough to comfortably run a Q6600 at 3-3.2Ghz (give the chip will actually do that)? Its been great for my E2200 but I know the quad core will stress the board quite a bit more.
 
In my personal opinion yes, I have 4 customers machines running that board with a Q6600 at 3.2 and Artric Freezer Pro for about a year now (since sept oct of 07 ). I will add the cases used have excellent airflow/cooling (unrestricted 120mm fans front and back) and I advised the cutomers that if they wished to attempt to OC higher a fan blowing on the cpu voltage regulation circuity (in addition to the fan I placed on the MCH/Northbridge) would be a very good idea. I actually told them I would not warranty the board myself if overclocked beyond 3.2 and they would have to rely on manuf warranties - this was after the DS3R was discussed and declined by the customers for various reasons, mainly cost.

All four of the machines were gaming machines.

As a side note looking at your sig, - a video card upgrade might be something to consider first if you are a gamer. I recently went from a 6300 to a the quad 6600 and its nice and all but the biggest impact on my gaming was going to a 22inch LCD. (LOL now I am looking at video cards) Big powerfull CPUs are nice and all but you spend all your time looking at the screen. Just a guess that you are still on a CRT. oops way off your original question - cya.
 
Thanks, thats what I was looking to hear! I am already running a small fan on the northbridge, 4 case fans on a fan controller and even at 1.45V my e2200 idles at around 26C so I don't think cooling should be a problem. I didn't want to get one and be disappointed my board can't OC it very well, although I do realize its still possible since boards/chips vary.

The most demanding thing I usually do is game at 1680x1050. I would love to upgrade the video card but I feel like in order to get the boost I am looking for I would want something like a 4870 or 260 which is more than I want to spend. A cpu upgrade could give me a bit of an improvement in everyday stuff too not only games. I am really only looking at a Q6600 if I can find some sort of good deal coming up, and the E7200 has been really tempting me at 120$.
 
Back
Top